Why Beyonce's album changes everything
BEYONCE released her self-titled surprise album via iTunes less than a week ago, and the record-breaking results are pouring in.
According to Apple, Beyonce reached the top spot on the iTunes charts in 104 countries en route to selling 828,773 copies worldwide in its first three days - including 617,213 in the US. That's more than the combined opening week sales of Katy Perry's PRISM and Lady Gaga's ARTPOP, and the numbers make Beyonce's latest effort the fastest-selling album in iTunes history.
The world's leading advertising experts say Beyonce's album launch - with no hype or pre-warning - is a total game changer for the marketing industry.
"Marketing as we knew it is dead," Saatchi & Saatchi CEO Kevin Roberts said in an interview with Bloomberg.
Others are more conservative. An article on CNBC.com points out that few could pull off what Beyonce has done. She has been building up her brand and loyal fan base since her Destiny's Child days in the 1990s.
But the move does suggest that marketing is reverting back to a 1960s styles of "relationship marketing".
"Artists, authors, Fortune 500s, entrepreneurs, and everyone in-between is learning that social media and online marketing can only get you so far. Building great relationships with your customers (or fans) is the single greatest form of marketing you can do. Beyonce's new album isn't successful because she kept it a secret and dropped it out of thin air, it's successful because she has a huge fan base, has poured her life into her brand, and is an incredibly talented human being," CNBC.com reported.
One veteran entertainment lawyer who declined to be named told Forbes : "The fact that nearly 900,000 customers were willing to pay full price to buy this album is testament to the passionate dedication of Beyonce's legions of fans. Most artists have to pre-sell or hype albums by giving away singles on various websites, or streaming the album."
So how does the album impact Beyonce's bottom line? The aforementioned attorney believes the "Single Ladies" singer has already turned a profit on her latest launch, thanks in part to a deal with Sony's Columbia Records rumoured to be structured more like a joint venture than a simple superstar royalty rate of 20 per cent or thereabouts (a spokesman for Beyonce declined to comment for this story and a representative from Sony did not immediately respond to a request for comment).
A partnership-style setup would be particularly lucrative given Beyonce's iTunes launch. Apple typically takes a 30 per cent cut of sales, which would leave 70 per cent, or a little over $11 per $15.99 album sold, for Beyonce and her label. Take out the statutory 9.1 cents for publishing on each of the album's 14 tracks (Beyonce has songwriting credits on the album, but let's assume her co-writers take the lion's share) and you're left with about $10 per unit.
Mainstream pop albums' production budgets can easily soar into the millions, and Beyonce's includes videos for each track, which could push the total cost into the mid seven-figures. But even assuming that she co-financed a whopping $5 million budget, the album's opening weekend alone would have earned Beyonce and her label a multi-million-dollar profit to split.
Of course, those details may be moot. According to a different attorney, Lori Landew of Fox Rothschild, the deal was probably a moneymaker for Beyonce before the album even went on sale, even if her agreement was structured as some sort of joint venture.
"Presumably, Beyonce's deal entitled her to a nice advance payment on sales before a single unit (digital or physical) was sold," she says. "However you slice it, it seems safe to say that her label will work hard to make and keep her happy so that they can enjoy a mutually rewarding relationship now and into the future."
Under this likely scenario, Beyonce won't see another dollar from the album until she earns back her advance, plus any share of production costs added to it. But if big upfront payments run in the family, she's already in good shape - her husband Jay Z's Live Nation deal called for advances of $10 million per album.
As profitable as Beyonce may end up being in its own right, its most valuable contribution to its namesake's bottom line may be more difficult to quantify. The buzz created by the launch should help boost sales for her Mrs. Carter World Tour, for which she is signed up for 26 more dates through the end of March.
She's currently grossing over $2 million per city, and if her album helps sustain the addition of more shows and sell more tickets for her existing winter gigs, the financial impact could be far greater than that of Beyonce's record-setting iTunes sales.
- Florida man's smartphone takes a bullet for him
- Lady Gaga 'dumped' by boyfriend as he can't handle her alter-egos
- Murder suspect arrested in Bartow County
- Nike’s Sexist “Gold Digging” Shirt Under Fire
- 'Mars Needs Moms' review: A charming, subversive, minor addition to CGI family film club
- Motion for new trial denied in child molestation case
- Prison intern Kayla Danielle Davis charged with sexual assault
- Three more arrests made in Augusta man's slaying
- Changes made to state gun bill
- Celebrities and People who have overstayed their welcome
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Buyers of Dell's new Latitude 6430u Ultrabook complain it smells of cat urine
- Meet Colonel Meow, the world's hairiest cat
- Mayim Bialik, Husband Michael Stone Finalize Divorce
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
- Committee votes on abortion bill
- Sailor from Oregon Jonathon Gibson killed in Red Sea helicopter crash
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- Kennesaw pastor John Pinkston facing child molestation charges
- Ex-police officer Michael Bernard Wilson found guilty of molesting girl
- Is this the most sexist TV program in history? Chat show where women strip off as two men critique their naked bodies
- Dolphin dies in China after tourists hoist it out of water to pose for photographs
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges
- Tampa Bay Rays mascot holds inappropriate Steve Irwin sign
- Wedding guest steps in to marry bride after groom disappears
- Kennesaw State student recovering from rock climbing accident
- Police arrest 26-year-old Kerrianne Johnson for child molestation
- Wendy Hurrell, BBC weather presenter's face go from sunny to stormy
- 97-month car loan introduced by some lenders
- Medicaid caution warranted, lawmakers said
- Stern family plane crash: Three killed after homemade plane crashes into nature preserve
- Paulding County gym teacher Robert Cartwright accused of molesting student
- Christopher P. Dona named as Army Ranger killed in parachute mishap
- Pervert Pastor James Harris Found Guilty of Sex Acts swallowed mints, not pills, test shows
- Funny Wi-Fi network names that will alienate and amuse your neighbors
- SC prison guard gave inmates key impressions
- I-Team investigates pharmacy bill
- Video shows Queen Elizabeth dodge ceremonial sword
- Feds 'working with' Georgia even as plans drop out of exchange
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- Police seek help identifying people cashing forged checks
- Three-year-old boy makes compelling argument for cupcakes for dinner
- Britney's Spears suffers from scaly feet
- Police: Cop impersonator Joseph Pineda demanded free fast food
- Jersey Bridgeman: Girl, 6, whose father chained her to a dresser found dead
- Louisa Ball: Real-life Sleeping Beauty who sleeps for two weeks at a time
- Property tax appeal hearings suspended indefinitely
- Moammar Gaddafi's daughter-in-law in racy photo
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|