SNL pays tribute to the lives lost in Sandy Hook shooting with children's choir singing poignant version of Silent Night
‘Saturday Night Live’ left its usual snark behind for this week’s cold open, instead beginning the weekly live show with a children’s choir.
Dressed in bright red robes, the New York City Children's Chorus sang several verses of the Christmas carol ‘Silent Night,’ all in unison, paying homage to the 20 children and six adults that were slain Friday morning in the quiet town of Newtown, Connecticut.
The uncharacteristic open is reminiscent to how the long-running show has handled other unspeakable tragedies, such as the September 11 terrorist attacks.
Terrible tragedy: The shockingly somber open for the sketch comedy show was meant to be in honor for the 27 victims of Friday's shooting in Connecticut
Merry Christmas: 'SNL' alum Martin Short hosted, singing a naughty version of 'It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year'
An NBC spokesperson had told the Hollywood Reporter on Friday that the live show would go on as planned, though they wouldn’t say ahead of time whether or not the show would touch on the Newtown tragedy.
The show was hosted by ‘SNL’ alum Martin Short, who opened the show with a rousing rendition of ‘It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year.’
As he ran through the halls of 30 Rockefeller Plaza, he ran into many familiar faces, including fellow ‘SNL’ alums Kirsten Wiig, Jimmy Fallon, and Tina Fey, as well as Samuel L. Jackson and Tom Hanks.
Short was his normal vivacious self, investing whole-heartedly into the first skit where he played a British palace employee telling the Duchess of Cambridge’s new physician how to address her and her more intimate parts.
During Weekend Update with Seth Meyers, the head writer did not allude to the shootings either.
He instead chose to discuss North Korea’s rocket launch (‘No word on how Kim Jong Un celebrated the launch but I’d expect – cake’) and the Pope’s first tweets (‘The Pope gave up pretty quickly, because auto-correct is hell on Latin’).
He also had a mildly enlightening conversation with the Girl You Wish You Hadn't Started a Conversation with at a Party. The Girl, played by Cecily Strong, asked Meyers what he wanted for Christmas.
'I don't know, maybe an iPad?' he shrugged.
Rousing conversation: Seth Meyers had a mildly enlightening conversation with the Girl You Wish You Hadn't Started a Conversation with at a Party
All together now: Sir Paul McCartney joined Short for a skit about holiday auditions
'Well, I want an end to genocide!' the Girl responded.
The 2001-2002 season of the sketch-comedy show opened 18 days after the September 11 attack with Reese Witherspoon hosting.
Many wondered how to approach the 27th season – and the answer seemed to be as normally as possible.
In that particular cold open, executive producer Lorne Michael asked then-New York City mayor Rudi Giuliani: ‘Can we be funny?’
The mayor deadpanned: ‘Why start now?’
Brave new world: Reese Witherspoon hosted the first episode of 'SNL' after the September 11 terrorist attacks
Permission: When executive producer Lorne Michaels asked Rudy Giuliani if it was okay to be funny, the mayor deadpanned: 'Why start now?' here, the end of the post-9/11 show
A SKY-high split, a drizzly day and an absent pair of knickers was not a winning combination for Eva Longoria at the Cannes Film Festival. ... Full story
- Arnold Schwarzenegger takes new girlfriend Heather Milligan to dinner despite claiming he is eager to reunite with estranged wife
- Brunette Lady Gaga before she became famous
- Justin Bieber is ‘gonna take some time’ out after being booed at the Billboard Music Awards
- Gov. Cuomo Warns Khloe Kardashian over use of NY farm logo on T-shirt
- That’s very cheeky! Alec Baldwin gives his wife a bum deal
- Bloated, aged Keanu almost 'unrecognisable'
- Kitchen Nightmare: Gordon Ramsay meets his match in Amy Bouzaglo
- Will Smith: I'm embarrassed I can't swim
- Beatles guitar sells for $400,000
- Album Review: Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz
- Clothing company D.N.A.M. Apparel sues Lindsay Lohan for $5 Million
- Selena Gomez defends Justin Bieber reunion: ‘You can’t help who you date’
- American Idol to axe Keith Urban, Mariah Carey, Nicki Minaj
- Christina Aguilera shocks with new slim look
- Kim Kardashian lookalike stars in music video from sex tape ex
- Peekaboo: Eva Longoria's dress gapes open to expose bare breast
- Jennifer Lawrence body painted for X-Men role
- CBS Pulls 'Mike & Molly' Tornado Finale
- Gwyneth Paltrow on Met Gala: "I'm Never Going Again"
- Kelly Rowland and Paulina Rubio Join The X Factor
- Billboard Music Awards: Nicki Minaj almost causes Lil Wayne to have another seizure during raunchy lap dance
- Rihanna and Chris Brown in Twitter war
- Sinbad: Bankrupt And $8 Million In Debt To The IRS
- Venus Williams Serves up a stir with flesh-colored undies
- Horror show: Nicki's nipple slip and Fergie wets herself when celebrity nightmares come true
- Rob Kardashian Charged with Battery & Theft After Scuffle
- Nicki Minaj gets her boobs out in her most explicit video ever
- Heidi Klum saves son Henry, 7, from drowning in a riptide
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out
- Eva Longoria's near wardrobe malfunction almost too much for Letterman to handle on 'Late Show'
- American Idol's Haley Reinhart smiles through wardrobe malfunction
- Eminem’s daughter launches Twitter attack on Taylor Swift for dating Harry Styles
- Rihanna booed by 'mad as hell' Boston crowd after keeping them waiting for THREE HOURS
- Charlie Sheen Spends $26K On Prostitutes In Cocaine-Filled Weekend
- Linda Hogan's wild-eyed mug shot emerges after DUI arrest
- Real Housewife Joanna Krupa wears ENTIRELY see-through top for dinner with her fiancé
- Country Singer Chely Wright Expecting Twins
- Anne Hathaway Turns Up Blond and Braless at the Met Gala
- That's not your girlfriend! Marlon Wayans caught cheating on his girlfriend
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- 'She's been curried': Jenna Wolfe Upset With Demotion To News Reader On 'Weekend Today,' Erica Hill Is New Co-Host 3
- Coco vs. Kim K -- The World's Biggest Ass-Off! 2
- J.Lo's new song sounds suspiciously like a Kat DeLuna rip off 2
- Chris Brown flies into rage, breaks window at 'Good Morning America' after being asked about Rihanna 2
- Lady Gaga bares all for NME magazine: 'Nobody seems to have a clue' about who I am as an artist 2
- Kim Kardashian jokingly tweets 'challenge' to Tanning Mom Patricia Krentcil 2
- Kris Humphries dating Kim Kardashian lookalike Myla Sinanaj? 2
- Rihanna steps out in her most revealing day look yet 2
- Honey Boo Boo and her family go wig shopping in latest installment of hit reality show 2
- Revealed: Disgraced TV anchor Rob Morrison is not only a wife beater and a quitter, he's also a cheater 2
- Kris Kross rapper Chris Kelly dies at 34 2
- Waka Flocka Loves Machiavelli -- Say What! 1
- Dianna Agron & Lea Michele STRIP For GQ (PHOTOS) 1
- Flashing her goods: Kendra Wilkinson accidentally gives the window cleaners something to smile about 1
- Katy Perry pic sent on Twitter by husband Russell Brand shows singer without any make-up 1
- Bootylicious Nicki Minaj celebrates platinum album sales with sexy photo shoot 1
- Rip Off: 'Millionaire Matchmaker' Patti Stanger's Clients Complain; She's A Ripoff 1
- Mila Kunis gets $7,000 ruby and diamond facial treatment for Golden Globes 1
- Hayden Panettiere has wardrobe malfunction with visible pasties under sheer gown 1
- Lil' Kim 'Black Friday' mixtape cover decapitates Nicki Minaj; rapper's old rival laughs off diss 1
- Lindsay Lohan will be sentenced to jail if she accepts plea deal, says judge 1
- 'American Idol' online voting via Facebook slammed by fans; Fox says info is for 'verification' only 1
- Ex-girlfriend leaks naked photo of singer Chris Brown, Perez Hilton reports 1
- DMV hip-hop awards in Arlington abandoned after violent brawl breaks out 1
- 50 Cent jokes about Japan earthquake, tsunami: 'Crazy white boys gonna try to go surfing' 1
- Snake bites model Orit Fox's breast during photo shoot, reportedly dies of silicone poisoning 1
- Megan Fox Strips For Armani (VIDEO) 1
- '16 and Pregnant' season 3 premiere: Jordan has double trouble with twin sister, baby daddy 1
- Christina Hendricks causes a Lake Como-tion in black swimsuit as she enjoys dip in the pool 1
- Rapper Lil' Kim said to owe the IRS $1M in back taxes 1
- Blue Ivy first pictures: Beyonce and Jay Z share family portraits of baby daughter 1
- Adam Sandler sets Razzie record: 11 worst-movie noms 1
- FHM Philippines magazine pulls March cover after ‘racism’ outcry 1
- Adrienne Bailon Suffers Wardrobe Malfunction 1
- Rihanna launches Twitter attack on Chris Brown's model girlfriend Karrueche Tran 1
- ‘Dance Moms’ choreographer Abby Lee Miller’s sexy routine has 10-year olds appear nude 1
- Kim Kardashian hit with a 'flour bomb' on the red carpet 1
- Tori Spelling pregnant again - just FIVE months after giving birth 1
- Octomum Nadya Suleman poses topless in Closer Magazine 1
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Did the Pope perform excorcism on disabled man?
- This video of the Moore tornado was shot waaay too close for comfort
- Dutch TV host shocks viewers by drinking milk from woman's breasts on family show
- Russian soldier shot in the head by an AK-47 smiles for the camera as his comrade pulls it out using just PLIERS