Louisa Ball: Real-life Sleeping Beauty who sleeps for two weeks at a time
She is known to her family and friends as 'Sleeping Beauty' - but her life is no fairytale.
Louisa Ball, 15, sleeps for two weeks at a time because she suffers from an incredibly rare disorder.
She misses school exams, dance lessons and even missed an entire week’s holiday away with the family as she slept the whole way through.
Louisa, who lives in Worthing, has been diagnosed with Kleine-Levin Syndrome - also known as Sleeping Beauty Disease - where sufferers can fall into deep sleeps that can last for weeks.
She first developed the disorder in October 2008 after recovering from a bout of flu.
Her mother Lottie, 45, said: ‘She had a dose of flu that lasted for about a week but she never really recovered properly from it.
‘We afterwards found out that it was the start of a sleep mode, which comes before the deep sleeps.
‘She was exhausted and didn’t seem to be getting any better. She started to fall asleep at school and was rambling about things that didn’t make sense - just like she was talking in her sleep.
‘It really scared us, we didn’t know what to do. It just didn’t seem like Louisa was the daughter we used to know - she was like a different person.’
Louisa was referred to Worthing General Hospital in November that year and the paediatric consultant there told the couple that he didn’t know what was wrong with Louisa, but it may be hormonal.
By then Louisa was sleeping for ten days at a time. She would sleep deeply for 22 hours, then her parents would wake her just long enough to give her some food and take her to the toilet, then she would fall back to sleep.
Scared: Louisa with father Richard and mother Lottie, who said she seemed like a different person
Her father Richard Ball, 44, a surveyor, said: ‘She couldn’t do anything but sleep. She couldn’t go to school for days at a time when she was asleep.
‘It was very hard to wake her but we knew that we had to give her food and water. We would hurry to get her to eat her food whilst we could, but she would always be rambling and wouldn’t make any sense.
‘It was like she was sleep walking and talking in the times we did manage to wake her up. After she had been asleep for a week or ten days, she wouldn’t remember anything about it.’
Louisa was referred to St George’s Hospital in Tooting in March last year and a Consultant Paediatric there eventually diagnosed her with Kleine-Levin Syndrome.
The syndrome is a rare form or periodic hypersomnia, where sufferers have periods of prolonged sleep.
Doctors don’t know what causes it, although it is thought it may be related to malfunction of the hypothalamus, the part of the brain that governs appetite and sleep.
It is more common in males than females and usually disappears in adulthood, and between sleep periods the sufferer recovers completely.
The couple, who also have a 14 year old son Ross, had never heard of the illness before.
Mr Ball said: ‘We had no idea that there was such a thing, but it was a relief once Louisa was diagnosed.
‘The consultant who diagnosed her had heard of other case before.’
There is no definitive treatment for Kleine-Levin Syndrome, although some patients are given stimulant drugs to try and keep them awake.
Louisa was put on medication but it didn’t work and after her diagnosis she started falling asleep for upto 12 days at a time.
Mr Ball said: ‘We know when Louisa is starting to go into sleep mode as she becomes irritable, so we do have some warning.
‘But last summer we were on our way back from a family holiday in Malaga and started to go into sleep mode as we were driving to the airport.
‘She fell asleep on the plane on the way home and we had to lift her off the aeroplane once all the other passengers had got off.
‘We put her in the car, drove home, and she slept for another seven days.
‘We went on a week’s caravanning holiday last year and she slept for the entire holiday - she missed the whole thing.
‘She was really annoyed when she woke up and found she had missed the holiday, but there was nothing we could do.
‘When she wakes up afterwards she goes straight to the biscuit cupboard and raids it. She is so hungry, its like she has been hibernating.’
When she’s awake Louisa loved school and her regular dancing classes - but she’s had to miss dance competitions and school exams because she has been asleep for them.
Mrs Ball added: ‘She is behind in her classwork and she has missed coursework too.
We don’t know what will happen when she sits her GCSE’S - hopefully the school will allow her to take them during the times that she is awake.
‘She wants to study for a BTEC in sport and dance when she leaves school but she needs five GCSE’s to do that. We can only hope she stays awake long enough to get her qualifications.’
Louisa has just been put onto a new medication that her parents hope will help reduce her sleep patterns.
Mr Ball said: ‘it does look promising. She hasn’t fallen asleep properly for about seven weeks now so we are hoping it will reduce the severity of the attacks and allow her to get on with her life.’
For more information visit the KLS Foundation at www.klsfoundation.org
- Prison intern Kayla Danielle Davis charged with sexual assault
- Mountain biker rockets down ski slope at 135 mph
- Florida man's smartphone takes a bullet for him
- Lady Gaga 'dumped' by boyfriend as he can't handle her alter-egos
- Barack Obama: The face of Viagra in Pakistan
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
- Is this the most sexist TV program in history? Chat show where women strip off as two men critique their naked bodies
- Sailor from Oregon Jonathon Gibson killed in Red Sea helicopter crash
- Nike’s Sexist “Gold Digging” Shirt Under Fire
- Stern family plane crash: Three killed after homemade plane crashes into nature preserve
- Family of I-85 hit and run victim speaks out
- Morehouse men use spring break to mentor students
- Christopher P. Dona named as Army Ranger killed in parachute mishap
- Meet Colonel Meow, the world's hairiest cat
- Caught on camera: Armed robbers nab prescription drugs
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Cold case unsolved 5 years later
- Dylan Murray: The next big thing in racing?
- Tech Check: Smartphone memory hogs
- Paulding County gym teacher Robert Cartwright accused of molesting student
- Police arrest 26-year-old Kerrianne Johnson for child molestation
- Marietta man, 34, convicted of molesting teenage girl
- Pervert Pastor James Harris Found Guilty of Sex Acts swallowed mints, not pills, test shows
- Man (or Superman?) survives being hit by train traveling 110 mph
- Antonio McDyess Buzzer Beater: Spurs Beat Lakers With Last-Second Tip-In (VIDEO)
- New episodes of Family Guy and American Dad pulled
- Westgate mall survivor Sneha Kothari Mashru tells 'I used dead teen's blood to fool terrorists'
- Buyers of Dell's new Latitude 6430u Ultrabook complain it smells of cat urine
- Crack-smoking mayor knocks down councillor in stormy debate
- Mayim Bialik, Husband Michael Stone Finalize Divorce
- Tennessee man and his current wife arrested in ex-wife's slaying in Germantown
- Britney's Spears suffers from scaly feet
- Southwest High School Plans to Raise Graduation Rate
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Louisa Ball: Real-life Sleeping Beauty who sleeps for two weeks at a time
- Funny Wi-Fi network names that will alienate and amuse your neighbors
- 'Mars Needs Moms' review: A charming, subversive, minor addition to CGI family film club
- Lena Dunham strips off and Jimmy Kimmel gets punched in the face in hilarious Emmys opening skit
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- Veteran skydiver Sean Carey plummets to death during competition
- Medicaid caution warranted, lawmakers said
- Kennesaw pastor John Pinkston facing child molestation charges
- Atlanta man Michael Oneal charged in double slaying
- RSS Syndication
- Man with knife arrested at Buckingham Palace
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Brandon Philpot arrested in recording studio slaying
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|