Five fitness myths busted
We look at some of the most common fitness myths and find the facts
From exercising on an empty stomach to shunning carbs when the sun goes down, we expose the myths that might be hindering your fitness goals.
Myth 1: Cardio burns more fat than lifting weights
Fact: You need to build muscle to burn the fat
Every 1.5kg of muscle you add to your frame boosts your metabolism by 6 to 8 per cent and burns up to 400 extra kilojoules a day. "You end up burning more energy post-exercise because the more muscle mass you have, the more energy it takes to keep you alive," explains exercise scientist and nutritionist Liz Dene. So do we amp up the cardio or reach for the weights? "You have to do a combination of both," Dene notes. "Doing a mix of resistance training and interval training will burn the greatest amount of energy." For a fat-busting workout, try a circuit-training routine that combines sprint intervals with a series of weight-bearing exercises like medicine ball squats, push-ups and boxing with light weights.
Myth 2: Working out on an empty stomach burns more fat
Fact: You won't have enough energy to exercise
A study conducted at the University of Leuven in Belgium found that cyclists who trained on an empty stomach burned a slightly higher amount of fat than those who ate beforehand. However, this study and another published in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise discovered that fasting subjects trained at a reduced intensity and for 30 minutes less than those who ate prior to working out. The bottom line is: you end up burning fewer kilojoules overall if you don't eat because you don't have the stamina to make it through your workout.
"You don't have to sit down to a big breakfast," says Dene. "It can be just something small like a handful of nuts, a spoonful of yoghurt or fruit, something that doesn't upset the stomach."
Myth 3: Eat smaller meals more frequently to lose weight
Fact: It's the number of kilojoules that counts, not the number of meals
The theory behind this myth is that eating mini-meals regularly keeps your metabolism firing, helping you to burn more kilojoules.
But many fitness experts now warn that constant grazing can lead to overeating. A study published in the journal Obesity found that eating frequently didn't improve overweight subjects' appetite control or perceived fullness. The researchers concluded that mini-meals aren't the best strategy to combat obesity but believe that they can benefit athletes who require a regular supply of energy.
"It's all about the total amount of energy you consume throughout the day," says Accredited Practising Dietitian Trent Watson, spokesperson for the Dietitians Association of Australia. "If you have less energy than you require, you'll lose weight. And if you have more energy than you require, you'll gain weight, whether that's in three or six meals a day." The bottom line is: be wary of the total number of kilojoules you eat, regardless of when you eat them.
Myth 4: You can't avoid gaining weight with age
Fact: Lifting weights can help keep the weight off
It's true: your metabolism burns 2 to 5 per cent fewer kilojoules every decade after the age of 40. But that doesn't mean you're powerless against middle-age weight gain. "Anyone can maintain their weight throughout their life," says Watson. "When we age, we tend to reduce the amount of time we're physically active and the intensity at which we exercise."
Our metabolism slows as a result of losing muscle with age; however, regular strength training is the key to boosting muscle mass to avoid the kilo creep. And the sooner you get started the better. Aim for at least three 30-minute sessions of weight training each week.
Myth 5: Avoid carbs after 6pm
Fact: Carbs don't know the time
Those poor carbohydrates have been demonised in the diet world, but the fact is that the time of day you eat them (or anything else) has absolutely no effect on your waistline. The food doesn't "stay in your stomach" and magically convert to fat while you sleep.
"The digestive system doesn't know that it's 6pm," Dene explains.
"People might find this works because it makes them more accountable [of what they're eating]. All of a sudden, they're choosing not to sit down to a big bowl of pasta and they're having healthier alternatives. But at the end of the day, it's about the total number of kilojoules you consume," Dene says.
- Atlanta City Council looks at donating tax money to charity
- New Jersey Governor Chris Christie in Atlanta
- Man buys $27 of bitcoin, now he's a millionaire
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Prison intern Kayla Danielle Davis charged with sexual assault
- Stern family plane crash: Three killed after homemade plane crashes into nature preserve
- Sailor from Oregon Jonathon Gibson killed in Red Sea helicopter crash
- Meet Colonel Meow, the world's hairiest cat
- Christopher P. Dona named as Army Ranger killed in parachute mishap
- Is this the most sexist TV program in history? Chat show where women strip off as two men critique their naked bodies
- Mountain biker rockets down ski slope at 135 mph
- Florida man's smartphone takes a bullet for him
- Man (or Superman?) survives being hit by train traveling 110 mph
- 1,000 mph car with Bloodhound rocket fired for first time (video)
- Atlanta middle school principal resigns following report
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
- CNN anchor Deborah Feyeric claims meteor hurtling toward Earth could be a result of global warming
- President Obama catches fainting pregnant woman
- Buyers of Dell's new Latitude 6430u Ultrabook complain it smells of cat urine
- 'Mars Needs Moms' review: A charming, subversive, minor addition to CGI family film club
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Some UGA students calling for a change with arch ceremony
- Lady Gaga 'dumped' by boyfriend as he can't handle her alter-egos
- RSS Syndication
- Nike’s Sexist “Gold Digging” Shirt Under Fire
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Antonio McDyess Buzzer Beater: Spurs Beat Lakers With Last-Second Tip-In (VIDEO)
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Paulding County gym teacher Robert Cartwright accused of molesting student
- Pregnant weightlifter just two weeks away from giving birth provokes online storm
- New episodes of Family Guy and American Dad pulled
- US Navy's controversial Zumwalt destroyer to hit the water for first time
- Rebel Wilson busted whilst making off with buffet
- Athens man James Maurice Hood convicted in slaying over painkillers
- Why doesn't Evan Gattis catch for Julio Teheran?
- 'Deadliest known substance kept secret' - botox super-toxin
- Atlanta man Michael Oneal charged in double slaying
- Southwest High School Plans to Raise Graduation Rate
- James Fortune to perform at free concert
- Megyn Kelly Pregnant: Fox News anchor, 42, announces third pregnancy live on air
- Megachurch pastor bishop eddie long denies sexual relationships but admits: 'I told them to call me Daddy'
- Black North Carolina pastor to church volunteers: "Only white people" at front door of church
- Former principal John Ward arrested after his former student, 16, 'says he's the father of her baby'
- Asian giant hornets have killed at least 19 people in China over the last three months
- Residents of wealthy Atlanta neighborhood plan protest against Justin Bieber moving into the area
- Gunmen throw grenades at mall in Nairobi, Kenya
- 'Scorned wife' takes out brilliant classified ad
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|