Miss New York Nina Davuluri wins Miss America
A NEW Yorker has become the first woman of Indian descent to win the prestigious Miss America pageant.
Nine Davuluri late Sunday (1pm AEST) became the second consecutive contestant from New York to win the Miss America pageant.
Davuluri won the title as the nationally televised pageant returned home to Atlantic City.
She succeeds another Miss New York, Mallory Hagan, whose tenure was cut short when the pageant moved back to Atlantic City after a six-year stint in Las Vegas, where winners were chosen in January.
Davuluri performed a classical Bollywood fusion dance for her talent competition. She is the first winner of Indian descent.
Davuluri said in an interview with the Post Standard that she'd like to win the Miss America title like every other contestant.
"Everything happens for a reason,'' she said. "If it's meant to be it's meant to be. It's a win-win just to be in it."
Earlier in the week, Davuluri said she felt she'd performed well in the lifestyle/fitness, evening gown, talent and interview sections.
Davuluri was crowned Miss New York in July. She is the first Indian-American to be named Miss New York, and plans to become a physician.
The newly crowned Miss America will visit the scene of New Jersey's devastating boardwalk fire.
The Miss America Organization told The Associated Press that the newly crowned Miss America, who won the title in Atlantic City, will head to Seaside Park and Seaside Heights tomorrow to support the reconstruction efforts.
More than four blocks of the iconic boardwalk were destroyed by a raging wind-whipped fire on Friday. The visit will come after the new Miss America does the traditional frolic in the Atlantic City surf tomorrow morning.
The injured Miss Florida, wearing a bejewelled knee brace, reached the final five of the
pageant. Miss Florida, Myrrhanda Jones, tore knee ligaments on Thursday while rehearsing her baton routine, but was able to strut into the final five.
Miss Kansas, Theresa Vail, the tattooed Army sergeant, who was chosen by a nationwide vote as "America's Choice'' to advance to the semis, made the final 10.
Other states whose contestants advanced to the semi-finals were: Maryland, Connecticut, Missouri, Oklahoma, New York, Wisconsin, Texas, California, Georgia and Minnesota.
The pageant had pitted 53 contestants - one from each state, plus the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands - in swimsuit, evening gown, talent and interview competitions.
"This is where we belong,'' Sam Haskell, CEO of the Miss America organisation, told The Associated Press. "This is the home of Miss America, and this is where we're going to stay.''
Preliminary winners in the swimsuit competition earlier in the week were Miss Mississippi, Chelsea Rick; Miss Oklahoma, Kelsey Griswold; and Miss Georgia, Carly Mathis. Preliminary winners in the talent competition were Miss New Hampshire, Samantha Russo; Miss Minnesota Rebecca Yeh; and Miss Florida, Jones.
The show will begin with the traditional parade of states, where each contestant briefly introduces herself and her state, usually in a humorous or attention-grabbing manner. Take Miss Kentucky's intro, for example:
"From the home of fast horses and beautiful women - better not get those two things mixed up - I'm Jenna Day, Miss Kentucky!'' she said.
Much attention has been given Vail, who is believed to be the first Miss America contestant to openly display tattoos. She has the Serenity Prayer on her rib cage and a military insignia on the back of a shoulder. While other contestants wore glamorous costumes and elaborately decorated footwear during Saturday night's "show-us-your-shoes'' parade on the Boardwalk, Vail wore camouflage gear and Army boots.
In a Twitter message, Vail wrote: "Win or not tonight, I have accomplished what I set out to do. I have empowered women. I have opened eyes.''
The pageant started in Atlantic City as a way to extend the summer tourism season for an extra weekend.
The move from Las Vegas cut short the reign of Hagan, who was crowned in January and expected to have a full year as the titleholder. The pageant is compensating her for the shortened term.
- Southern Charm finale introduces Thomas Ravenel and Kathryn Dennis' baby girl
- The dog with a thousand hilarious faces who LOVES to play fetch
- Pictured hours before his fatal slip in New York bar: Camilla's brother Mark Shand, 62, smiling for camera's with his 'secret fianceé, Ruth Powys, 36, and Princess Eugenie
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's brother Mark Shand in critical condition after fall outside NY club
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Man demands realtor takes back mansion he leased for knock-down price after discovering it is 'haunted' after gruesome murder took place there
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Man buys $27 of bitcoin, now he's a millionaire
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- Man shot outside South DeKalb Mall
- Authorities investigate threat at Paulding Co. High
- Teacher Saralyn Gayle Portwood arrested for inappropriate relationship with student
- 'Sizzurp' cough syrup used by Justin Bieber and Lil' Wayne has been pulled off the market amid manufacturer fears it's being abused as a drug
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Paying tribute to Mr. Awesome: Celebrities pose with self-portrait of boy, 7, who died in freak swimming pool electrocution
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- Chrysler recalling almost 900,000 SUVs after it was found the brakes can become corroded when exposed to water
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- 2-year-old drowns in Paulding Co. pool
- 'New low' for Joan Rivers as women held captive by Ariel Castro demand apology for Today show joke she made at their expense
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- 'They had robbed my family': Widow's anguish as three teens indicted for killing married father of two on son's birthday after he willingly gave the muggers his wallet
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Tobias A. Bowen caught in Britain
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Five-year-old starved in closet Jordan Bleimeyer pictured on road to recovery
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- Ohio teacher fired after telling black student he didn't need another black president after Obama
- A playboy and gossip but he never let his beloved sister down: Richard Kay on the Mark Shand he knew
- Ted Cruz posts picture of himself grinning alongside skin of endangered tiger
- Duke and Duchess learn to DJ: William and Kate hit the decks in Adelaide as they visit suburb named after the Queen
- How female musical tastes change when she is at her most fertile
- Justin Bieber alienates Chinese fans with visit to Japanese war shrine
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Columbus police make shoplifting arrests at Peachtree Mall
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Falcons 2014-2015 schedule released
- Medical Center cutting ties with Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- One shot, 1 injured in West Midtown robbery
- New York Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda ejected for ball tampering in Boston
- The nine annoying personalities you'll find at the gym
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Dr. Zyad Younan refuses to pay $135k strip club bill because he claims he was 'drugged'
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|