Calls to boycott Applebee's after CEO threatens hiring freeze and layoffs over Obamacare
Move over Chick-fil-A, fast food is getting political again.
Papa John's came under fire this week when CEO John Schnatter floated a plan to cut worker hours to reduce spiking employee health care costs under the Affordable Care Act, otherwise known as Obamacare.
Now, Applebee's is being boycotted after a major New York area Applebee's franchise owner Zane Tankel threatened a hiring freeze and possible layoffs as a result of the president's healthcare plan.
Boycott: Calls to boycott Applebee's erupted on Twitter after Zane Tankel said he won't hire and might fire over Obamacare
Twitter immediately erupted with calls for a boycott.
'So far I've seen Papa John's and Applebees threatening to fire people since their choice didn't win the election. Disgusting on either side,' read one tweet.
'BOYCOTT APPLEBEES NOW,' read another.
'Add @Applebees to the list of unpatriotic businesses who are firing people because Barack Obama won,' tweeted another.
The Twitter uproar is in response to a Fox News interview Thursday with Zane Tankel, chairman and CEO of Apple-Metro, which owns 40 New York-area Applebee's restaurants.
"We've calculated it will [cost] some millions of dollars across our system. So what does that say -- that says we won't build more restaurants. We won't hire more people," Tankel said.
Reaction: Tankel at a New York event last year
Apple-Metro employs from 80 to 300 people at each of its Applebee's. Obamacare requires businesses with more than 50 workers must offer an approved insurance plan or pay a penalty of $2,000 for each full-time worker over 30 workers.
'If you have 40 or 50 employees at a restaurant, and the penalty is $2,000, and you're going to pay $80,000 or $100,000 penalty, there goes the profit in your restaurant.'
Tankel also hinted that lay-off and reducing employee hours were another possibility
'I want to simply say we are looking at it, we are evaluating,' he said. 'If it's possible to do without cutting people back, I am delighted to do it, but that also rolls back expansion, it rolls back hiring more people, and in a best-case scenario, we only shrink the labor force minimally. Best case.'
Healthcare Costs: Tankel and Miss USA Rima Fakih appear at Applebee's Neighborhood in 2010
Earlier this week Papa John's CEO John Schnatter told shareholders in a conference call this week that Obamacare would cost the company 11 to 14 cents per pizza, a cost that would be passed on to customers.
The response on Twitter was immediate, and largely unfavorable.
'First Chick-fil-A, now Papa John's. What does it say about the US when fast food has become the tool for political catalyst?' tweeted one person.
'Thanks 4 letting us know how CHEAP you are. 10 cents?! REALLY! Officially on my DO NOT BUY LIST even if you don't up the price.'
Schnatter defended his plan.
'That's what you do, is you pass on the costs,' Schnatter told Naples News. 'Unfortunately, I don't think people know what they're going to pay for [Obamacare].'
Schnatter isn't alone among chain restaurants looking to balance the costs of health care reform.
As the program mandates that only employees working more than 30 hours a week are covered under their employers health insurance plan, chains like Olive Garden and Red Lobster are already considering reduced worker hours.
- 'They had robbed my family': Widow's anguish as three teens indicted for killing married father of two on son's birthday after he willingly gave the muggers his wallet
- Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's brother Mark Shand in critical condition after fall outside NY club
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Teacher Saralyn Gayle Portwood arrested for inappropriate relationship with student
- Zoo Atlanta has warthog births for spring
- Parents of school employee who reported coworkers were stealing to buy meth seek FBI probe over his 'suicide'
- Tobias A. Bowen caught in Britain
- She really WAS pregnant! Southern Charm's disgraced South Carolina politician and much younger girlfriend DID have a baby despite show's pregnancy scare false alarm
- Oprah Winfrey's bitter stepmother Barbara in explosive first-ever interview
- 'Sizzurp' cough syrup used by Justin Bieber and Lil' Wayne has been pulled off the market amid manufacturer fears it's being abused as a drug
- Paige Laurie divorce get ugly as she sues Bo Dubbert for stealing from her
- Adam Pearson hopes to beat prejudice after Under The Skin
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Sean Studler, 17, dragged by train and killed 'was wearing headphones'
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- A gentleman is always on time and makes love on his elbows... but doesn't tweet or own a cat: Country Life reveal the ten dos and don'ts of the 'Gentlemanly Commandments'
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Gorgeous George... The baby fashion icon: How Prince's outfits have sparked a rush to the shops from ambitious parents
- Henry County teen wont give up fight to cure cancer
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Grand jury rules shooting not authorized
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Mother fighting to get baby back from son of former mayor of Oklahoma City claims she was deceived into giving him up for adoption
- Manchester High evacuated over 'text message' bomb threat
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- South Korean plastic surgery so good people need CERTIFICATES to prove who they are
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Dr. Zyad Younan refuses to pay $135k strip club bill because he claims he was 'drugged'
- Governor to sign controversial gun bill into law
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Duke and Duchess learn to DJ: William and Kate hit the decks in Adelaide as they visit suburb named after the Queen
- Accused murderer wants 'murder' neck tattoo removed before his trial
- Henry Co. teenager working on cancer cure
- Nolana Griffin sentenced to 25 years 'for having sex with 4 students ages 15 to 17'
- Meet 12 girls 'duped' by show which promises chance to marry Prince Harry
- Time Magazine says Columbus residents are "terrified", Mayor Tomlinson responds
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Man back in jail on rape charges after previous peeping tom arrest
- Al Gore's youngest daughter Sarah, 35, gets remarried under an old pine tree in casual outdoor service in California
- Former Fortune 500 exec Robert Dellinger charged with murder
- Obama goes golfing instead of attending aunts funeral
- Five-year-old starved in closet Jordan Bleimeyer pictured on road to recovery
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|