Calls to boycott Applebee's after CEO threatens hiring freeze and layoffs over Obamacare
Move over Chick-fil-A, fast food is getting political again.
Papa John's came under fire this week when CEO John Schnatter floated a plan to cut worker hours to reduce spiking employee health care costs under the Affordable Care Act, otherwise known as Obamacare.
Now, Applebee's is being boycotted after a major New York area Applebee's franchise owner Zane Tankel threatened a hiring freeze and possible layoffs as a result of the president's healthcare plan.
Boycott: Calls to boycott Applebee's erupted on Twitter after Zane Tankel said he won't hire and might fire over Obamacare
Twitter immediately erupted with calls for a boycott.
'So far I've seen Papa John's and Applebees threatening to fire people since their choice didn't win the election. Disgusting on either side,' read one tweet.
'BOYCOTT APPLEBEES NOW,' read another.
'Add @Applebees to the list of unpatriotic businesses who are firing people because Barack Obama won,' tweeted another.
The Twitter uproar is in response to a Fox News interview Thursday with Zane Tankel, chairman and CEO of Apple-Metro, which owns 40 New York-area Applebee's restaurants.
"We've calculated it will [cost] some millions of dollars across our system. So what does that say -- that says we won't build more restaurants. We won't hire more people," Tankel said.
Reaction: Tankel at a New York event last year
Apple-Metro employs from 80 to 300 people at each of its Applebee's. Obamacare requires businesses with more than 50 workers must offer an approved insurance plan or pay a penalty of $2,000 for each full-time worker over 30 workers.
'If you have 40 or 50 employees at a restaurant, and the penalty is $2,000, and you're going to pay $80,000 or $100,000 penalty, there goes the profit in your restaurant.'
Tankel also hinted that lay-off and reducing employee hours were another possibility
'I want to simply say we are looking at it, we are evaluating,' he said. 'If it's possible to do without cutting people back, I am delighted to do it, but that also rolls back expansion, it rolls back hiring more people, and in a best-case scenario, we only shrink the labor force minimally. Best case.'
Healthcare Costs: Tankel and Miss USA Rima Fakih appear at Applebee's Neighborhood in 2010
Earlier this week Papa John's CEO John Schnatter told shareholders in a conference call this week that Obamacare would cost the company 11 to 14 cents per pizza, a cost that would be passed on to customers.
The response on Twitter was immediate, and largely unfavorable.
'First Chick-fil-A, now Papa John's. What does it say about the US when fast food has become the tool for political catalyst?' tweeted one person.
'Thanks 4 letting us know how CHEAP you are. 10 cents?! REALLY! Officially on my DO NOT BUY LIST even if you don't up the price.'
Schnatter defended his plan.
'That's what you do, is you pass on the costs,' Schnatter told Naples News. 'Unfortunately, I don't think people know what they're going to pay for [Obamacare].'
Schnatter isn't alone among chain restaurants looking to balance the costs of health care reform.
As the program mandates that only employees working more than 30 hours a week are covered under their employers health insurance plan, chains like Olive Garden and Red Lobster are already considering reduced worker hours.
- Full House star Candice Cameron Bure slams Christian haters
- More proof Americans have no idea about technology
- Entire family charged with shoplifting, selling goods online for millions
- Man has sex with pit bull* in his back garden (*not the rapper)
- 'Scorned wife' takes out brilliant classified ad
- British teen who had sex with girlfriend’s dog avoids jail
- Contestant on South Korea dating show commits suicide
- Lupita’s moving speech: ‘I wanted light skin’
- Manual from 1530s suggests ‘rocket cat attacks’ against enemies
- Hide your husbands: Wife exposes affair all over mistresses’ Walmart store
- Man buys $27 of bitcoin, now he's a millionaire
- Religious South African sect eats grass ‘to be close to God’
- Homer Simpson tries and fails to get in Oscars selfie
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Two men found guilty of selling trade secrets to China
- ‘I’ve been beating myself up all day’: John Travolta breaks silence over ‘Adele Dazeem’ gaffe
- Apple launches CarPlay that lets you look-up maps, make calls and send messages while you drive
- Oscar Pistorius ‘breaks down’, blocks ears
- Facebook wants to use drones to give people internet
- Microsoft to turn lounge rooms into 3D browsers
- Scientists invent a contagious Wi-Fi virus
- Chris and Liam Hemsworth spoof ‘Charlie bit my finger’ with help from Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- RT anchor who spoke out against Ukraine invasion 'refuses to go to Crimea'
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Leaked pictures show Cortana, Microsoft’s answer to Siri
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Beyonce's Instagram faux pas - Tasmania is not a country
- Indictment in the case of missing Tenn. nursing student Holly Bobo
- Officer Alec Eugene Taylor charged with killing girlfriend's puppy
- Detroit man James Brown convicted of killing 4 women from escort site
- Missing pregnant criminology major Loretta Saunders found murdered on Canadian highway
- British teacher suspended after ‘taping ten-year-old students mouths shut’ for giggling
- ‘Black Hitler Sherman Gamble tortured nanny for three days in New York’
- Kim Kardashian’s application to attend Vanity Fair Oscars party completely ignored
- ‘Human Barbie’ Valeria Lukyanova ‘going to live on air and light only’
- Chelsea Handler slammed for Lupita Nyong’o Oscar tweet
- Missing mother Nadia Malik, 22, found dead in a car that had eight parking tickets
- Couple Sidney and Tammy Moorer Charged With Murder, Kidnapping Of Heather Elvis
- Massachusetts court rules taking “upskirting” pictures of women legal
- Microsoft plans Windows spring clean
- Google exec makes creepiest prediction yet
- Samsung launches new smart watch, Gear 2, powered by Tizen
- WhatsApp CEO Jan Koum unveils plan for voice service
- ‘Serial masturbator’ Chris Pagano dubbed the ‘Swiss cheese pervert’ faces new charges
- Kayla Michelle Finley jailed for failing to return rented copy of Monster-In-Law
- Utah man Eric Millerberg found guilty of teen babysitter's murder
- Neighbors unable to stop Missouri girl Hailey Owens's abduction; Charges could bring death penalty
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|