Man shot, killed while pumping gas in Atlanta
A man was shot and killed at a gas station Tuesday morning.
Atlanta police said the man was pumping gas at the BP on Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway at Interstate 285 when he was shot and killed around 6:30 a.m.
Police said the victim is from out of town and was driving a rental car on the way back to the airport. The gunman walked across the street and approached the victim, who then got back in the car and was shot multiple times in the chest.
“Victim was transported to Grady and has subsequently died as a result of those injuries," Atlanta police Lt. Paul Guerrucci told Channel 2’s Amanda Cook.
Homicide detectives are investigating. K-9 units also canvassed the area to search for the shooter.
The shooting happened at a busy intersection, but witnesses were reluctant to talk.
“Sometimes when people witness a violent crime like this, sometimes they are a little apprehensive to come forward," Guerrucci said.
Off-camera, witnesses told Cook the gunman tried to rob the shooter.
Several high-ranking officers were at the crime scene, including Atlanta Police Chief George Turner, but police did not identify the victim.
- Zoo Atlanta has warthog births for spring
- Paul McCartney writes to Putin asking to free Greenpeace protesters
- Attacks in Iraq around religious ritual kill 22
- Parents of school employee who reported coworkers were stealing to buy meth seek FBI probe over his 'suicide'
- Southern Charm finale introduces Thomas Ravenel and Kathryn Dennis' baby girl
- Russian cosmonauts take Olympic torch on first historic spacewalk outside space station
- Richmond County's handicap parking enforcement lags behind Columbia County
- Fort Pulaski recreates Thanksgiving field day of 1862
- Behind the scenes of 'Sleepy Hollow'
- Supreme Court green-lights Obamacare birth-control showdown
- 'This whole thing -- it's a mess!' Obama's health care 'fix' angers insurance companies
- Pictured for the first time: Communist sect 'leader' accused of keeping three women as slaves for more than 30 years
- Talahi woman charged with concealing husband's death enters plea
- Teacher Saralyn Gayle Portwood arrested for inappropriate relationship with student
- Meet the big game huntresses who have killed more than 70 species
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- LANCE ARMSTRONG WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Drugs cheat meets his accuser Emma O'Reilly
- Gloom with a view: Abandoned German hotel that once allowed only the finest people to enter but is now home to bugs and cockroaches
- Tobias A. Bowen caught in Britain
- The world explained in maps revealing everything you need to know
- Father Timothy Archibald photographs 5-year-old autistic son Elijah's unique behavior
- Investigators search for cause of fire that destroyed Richmond Hill home
- Harry Drinkwater's lost diary from the Great War
- Canal trout experiment yields both cannibalism and survivors
- GA owner of NC State Fair ride surrenders to police
- Satellite likely to hit Earth in unpopulated area
- Serial killer Joseph Paul Franklin begs Missouri to halt his lethal injection because it may be 'excruciatingly painful'
- Blake Lively highlights her famous legs in ruffled skirt with clashing printed jacket at H&M masquerade party
- Virus holds computer files ransom
- Augusta artist returns from North Pole expedition
- Faysal Himon, NYC cab driver, avoids charges in accident that left tourist without a foot, report says
- Van runs stop sign, causes five-vehicle crash
- Married man who raped girl three times starting when she was only 14-years-old WILL NOT go to prison despite convictions
- Pennsylvania Reverend Frank Schaefer may be defrocked for officiating gay son's wedding
- Samsung to launch a wraparound screen next year: Rumours abound that new Galaxy model could have a THREE-sided screen
- Girl flees pursuer, finds friendly face, safety at Denver home
- Your Week in History: An alien 'invasion' and a huge first pitch
- UGA-Auburn game on CBS Saturday
- Residents near Ga. base warned of weapons training
- A gentleman is always on time and makes love on his elbows... but doesn't tweet or own a cat: Country Life reveal the ten dos and don'ts of the 'Gentlemanly Commandments'
- JFK assassination historic items on display to mark 50th anniversary of President's death
- The adjustable airline seats that widen according to your size (and how much you're willing to pay)
- Angelina really is a foxy lady! Scientists discover that silver foxes share the same facial characteristics as beautiful women
- Grand jury rules shooting not authorized
- Henry County teen wont give up fight to cure cancer
- Sorry Charlie's facade inspection to take place Friday
- Norman Bel Geddes exhibition's designs that shaped modern America
- Dennis Rodman apologizes for Bae comments
- She's smoking! Mount Etna puffs out dozens of rings measuring hundreds of feet across as she spews molten lava
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|