Virginia-Highland store owner Mushtag Moloo shot, killed
Andrea Bustamante mopped up the street Friday morning where her friend, store owner Mushtaq "Mike" Moloo collapsed and died after he was shot during a robbery attempt the night before.
"There was a lot of blood on the ground where Mike laid," said Bustamante as she used bleach to clean up the pavement. "I felt the need that that's not something that everyone needs to walk over, you know. He was a very important member to us. I guess that he's like my family. So, you know, I'll clean up after him any day just like he would for us."
Atlanta police believe someone tried to rob Moloo at the ATL Food Mark on Barnett Street off Ponce de Leon Avenue in the Virginia-Highland neighborhood.
It was unclear if the shooter got any money. Police did find a bat in the parking lot and some neighbors think Moloo used that bat to try and fight off his attacker.
Bustamante said she heard the gunshot and she and friend Tyler Stringfield came around the corner to see a figure laying the street. She didn't know it was it was Moloo until they rolled him over.
Police investigate the killing of a store owner on Barnett Street.
"We walked up and there was blood everywhere," said Stringfield. "And then Andrea started screaming,
'It's Mike, it's Mike!"
"Me and Tyler were there holding onto his hands, rooting for him, letting him know that we were there and to fight," said Bustamante.
They said a registered nurse neighbor joined them and together they tried to perform CPR to save his life, but Moloo did not survive.
Neighbors spent much of Friday delivering flowers, cards and notes to the store's front door.
"He's a huge part of this community," said Stringfield. "He would help anybody. He would take in homeless, let them come in and take some water."
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- Bottle of wine a day 'is not bad for you': Leading scientist also claim those who exceed recommended does could live longer than teetotallers
- Dammion Heard's parents dispute findings that their star wrestler son, 20, killed himself as it's revealed the college student got into a fight the night he went missing
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Two teens and man who stopped to help them killed in Miami car crash
- Easter Egg Hunts all over the CSRA!
- North Carolina girl, 3, loses part of both legs in lawn mower accident
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- Is THIS the SR-72 spy plane? Mystery aircraft spotted flying over Kansas just weeks after being seen in Texas
- Verdicts handed down in Jonesboro day care death
- The Duchess wears an L.K. Bennett dress as she and Wills leave Sydney
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- Tomlinson discusses Columbus' growth as Georgia's second largest city
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Kimchi Truong, 24, dies from overdose after collapsing at Coachella
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Bandits break into Inman Park maintenance shop
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Prototype Pontiac Firebirds found in Connecticut garage
- Family appreciates 'Prayers for Lily'
- Feds 'working with' Georgia even as plans drop out of exchange
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Offers pouring in for Turner Field property
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- National Geographic reveals 50 tours of a lifetime (and Scotland is the only entry for UK)
- Police investigate homicide in SW Atlanta
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Seattle sewage plant offers FLUSHING brides a $2,000 weddings deal
- High school senior forms petition against Michele Obama
- Undocumented students rally for in-state tuition rates
- Bibb county deputy arrested
- Chestnut sets new world record in hot dog eating contest
- Car thief is forced to pull over and release an infant and a pair of seven year old twin boys after they beat the driver with a toy snake until he let them go
- Situation clears some units Wood House Lane
- Medicaid caution warranted, lawmakers said
- Region that shaped Tsarnaev more volatile
- Salt intake falls 15%... and heart deaths fall 40% (but we still eat too much of it)
- Tax-free weekend coming up soon for Alabama & Georgia
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|