Doctors claim pharmacy chain Walgreens refusing to fill pain meds
Top local surgeons are going after a major pharmacy chain for refusing to fill legitimate pain medication prescriptions.
Investigative reporter Aaron Diamant talked with doctors who say the company is harassing their patients.
The surgeon who tipped Diamant off to the situation said he was fuming mad and totally frustrated about what he said has been going on at Walgreens pharmacies all over our area for more than a year.
Diamant spent two days trying to get answers from the company.
Nationally-known Smyrna plastic surgeon Keith Jeffords said more of his patients keep running into the same problem.
"This happens at least every other week in my practice," Jeffords said.
Pharmacists are challenging, and in many cases refusing to fill legitimate prescriptions for post-operative narcotic pain medications such as Vicodin at Walgreens pharmacies.
"It's a consistent finding through any metro Atlanta Walgreens that a patient is harassed," Jeffords said.
Robin Haaland, who flew in from Utah for a procedure in August, got turned away at a Walgreens along Cobb Parkway, even after Jeffords spoke to the pharmacist himself.
"At the time I was more embarrassed, because there were people standing around. I felt like I did something wrong," Haaland said.
"We can't get to the bottom of it," said plastic surgeon Dr. Carmen Kavali.
Kavali said Walgreens pharmacists routinely refuse to fill pain med prescriptions for her patients, too.
"We called. Shut down. Can't get anywhere. There's no information to be had. The manager just says this is our policy. What's your policy? Tell me what it is so I can meet your policy and get these prescriptions filled for these patients who need them," Kavali said
Unable to get answers, Jeffords has posted a warning for patients in his lobby and on his practice's Facebook page.
"I'm not going to have any of my prescriptions go to Walgreens ever again," Jeffords said.
The surgeons say their colleagues in our area are dealing with the same thing.
After two days of investigating, Walgreens sent Diamant a statement, saying, "Our pharmacists use their professional judgment when evaluating and dispensing all prescriptions. They can consult with the prescriber or patient at any time if they feel a medication prescribed is not appropriate. We are looking into the concerns that were raised by these prescribers."
- Florida man's smartphone takes a bullet for him
- Lady Gaga 'dumped' by boyfriend as he can't handle her alter-egos
- Murder suspect arrested in Bartow County
- 'Mars Needs Moms' review: A charming, subversive, minor addition to CGI family film club
- Prison intern Kayla Danielle Davis charged with sexual assault
- Three more arrests made in Augusta man's slaying
- Nike’s Sexist “Gold Digging” Shirt Under Fire
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Buyers of Dell's new Latitude 6430u Ultrabook complain it smells of cat urine
- Changes made to state gun bill
- Mayim Bialik, Husband Michael Stone Finalize Divorce
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- Motion for new trial denied in child molestation case
- Committee votes on abortion bill
- Sailor from Oregon Jonathon Gibson killed in Red Sea helicopter crash
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges
- Dolphin dies in China after tourists hoist it out of water to pose for photographs
- Medicaid caution warranted, lawmakers said
- Is this the most sexist TV program in history? Chat show where women strip off as two men critique their naked bodies
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
- 97-month car loan introduced by some lenders
- Meet Colonel Meow, the world's hairiest cat
- Police arrest 26-year-old Kerrianne Johnson for child molestation
- Feds 'working with' Georgia even as plans drop out of exchange
- Kennesaw pastor John Pinkston facing child molestation charges
- Christopher P. Dona named as Army Ranger killed in parachute mishap
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- Police seek help identifying people cashing forged checks
- Wedding guest steps in to marry bride after groom disappears
- Property tax appeal hearings suspended indefinitely
- Video shows Queen Elizabeth dodge ceremonial sword
- Three-year-old boy makes compelling argument for cupcakes for dinner
- Mariah too 'superstitious' to discuss pregnancy
- Georgia Grandparents Arrested for leaving Grandson at a Walmart
- 1,000 mph car with Bloodhound rocket fired for first time (video)
- SC prison guard gave inmates key impressions
- Tampa Bay Rays mascot holds inappropriate Steve Irwin sign
- Kennesaw State student recovering from rock climbing accident
- Britney's Spears suffers from scaly feet
- Moammar Gaddafi's daughter-in-law in racy photo
- Pregnant weightlifter just two weeks away from giving birth provokes online storm
- Stern family plane crash: Three killed after homemade plane crashes into nature preserve
- Brandon Philpot arrested in recording studio slaying
- Ebony Daniel, Charlie Martin arrested after baby allegedly ingests cocaine
- Fulton assistant principal Paul Cook arrested for bringing gun to school
- Louisa Ball: Real-life Sleeping Beauty who sleeps for two weeks at a time
- Elementary school principal Leslie Chance 'shot her husband dead and dumped his body in an orchard'
- I-Team investigates pharmacy bill
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|