Applebees restaurant manager calls cops on breast-feeding mother
A Douglasville mother is calling for changes at a major chain restaurant after she was kicked out of one of their locations for breastfeeding.
Dawn Holland said that on Saturday afternoon, she was nursing her 20-month-son, Connor, in a booth in the back of an Applebee's restaurant. Holland said that a manager approached her and said she "was being inappropriate" and asked her to breast-feed in the bathroom.
"I told her that I had a right to breast-feed in public and a bathroom was not an appropriate place to nurse a child. And she told me I could either go to the bathroom or leave," said Holland.
Holland said she asked the manager to look up the law, and the manager called police.
Civil rights attorney Laurie Rashidi said that the law states that "a woman with child has the right to breast-feed any place that she is lawfully allowed to be."
Applebee's Communications issued a statement on Tuesday saying, "We're in the business of welcoming guests to our restaurants and our top priority is always to provide a friendly and comfortable environment for everyone, including nursing mothers who have the right to nurse in public. This was an unfortunate misunderstanding and we hope the guest will give us another chance to demonstrate that to her personally."
Holland, whose husband is a medevac pilot in Afghanistan, said that she has not personally heard from the company. She said that she would like to see Applebee's institute civil rights training for its staff.
Authorities did not write an incident report because they said it was a civil matter.
- Teen battling school board over whether her 22-year-old boyfriend will be allowed at the high school prom
- Southern Charm finale introduces Thomas Ravenel and Kathryn Dennis' baby girl
- EXCLUSIVE: "Brothers Forever" co-author discusses upcoming book release
- La Balade Des Gnomes: World's wackiest hotel where you can spend the night in a Trojan horse, a troll's lair and even sleep with a mermaid
- Chicago man Christopher Kaelin wins same lottery three times in three weeks
- The dog with a thousand hilarious faces who LOVES to play fetch
- Woman gives birth to 'baby with two heads'
- Sign calls candidate for school board president 'chicken'
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy condemned for racist remarks
- Is this Miley Cyrus' worst Instagram offering ever?
- Facebook users duped by missing Malaysia Airlines spam
- Vinay Pochampally 'groped sleeping woman's breast for FIVE MINUTES' on British Airways flight from London to San Francisco
- Abercrombie & Fitch finally says sorry for fat comments
- Texas dad shot dead boy, 17, after catching him in bed with daughter
- News anchor gets shock as earthquake hits live TV studio
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- New York Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda ejected for ball tampering in Boston
- Builder survives after steel rod pierces through his skull in window fall
- ‘Ghost’ caught on film in stadium in La Paz, Bolivia
- Final Game of Thrones trailer redefines 'overkill'
- Man files lawsuit claiming he is REAL father of cyber-bullying suicide victim Audrie Potts as he tries to join wrongful death lawsuit filed by her family
- Sheriff's deputy 'gunned down his wife and then himself during domestic dispute' with their two young daughters listening in just steps away
- VIDEO: Brush fire near Warm Springs Rd Connecter slows traffic
- Auburn to hold 2014 Drug Take Back event
- HCC to present free program on Eufaula’s Textile Mill Heritage
- Ryan Gosling's violent new film booed at Cannes
- Romney attends fight between Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez in Las Vegas
- Mega Millions lottery winner Holly Lahtiand and estranged husband's violent past
- WikiLeaks 'traitor' Bradley Manning wants to be a woman
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Giant python swallows family's pet dog
- Chris Brown kicked out of rehab, sent to jail
- What would Superman wearing a GoPro look like? Pretty cool, actually
- Chinese internet company Alibaba Group is set for listing on US stock exchange
- ‘Two and a Half Men’ star Angus T. Jones has criticised the sitcom again
- Justin Casquejo, 16, sneaks past sleeping guard to top of 1 World Trade Centre
- Video: Grandmother survives being run over twice in horror crash
- Beyoncé tops Time’s list of 100 most influential people of 2014
- Facebook buys fitness app Moves
- Yahya Abdi had discovered his father 'had lied she had died in rocket attack'
- New gun law worries police, business owners
- Missing MH370 report to be released 'next week'
- Lanett teen arrested in connection to 2013 traffic accident
- Suspect identified, murder warrant issued in Seale, Ala. homicide investigation
- Fort Benning program thrives during nationwide Army cuts
- Bette Midler Rumor: Actress May Appear On ‘Glee’ As Celebrity Guest
- Delaware student Devon Gluck gives back $1,800 after ATM mistake
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|