Applebees restaurant manager calls cops on breast-feeding mother
A Douglasville mother is calling for changes at a major chain restaurant after she was kicked out of one of their locations for breastfeeding.
Dawn Holland said that on Saturday afternoon, she was nursing her 20-month-son, Connor, in a booth in the back of an Applebee's restaurant. Holland said that a manager approached her and said she "was being inappropriate" and asked her to breast-feed in the bathroom.
"I told her that I had a right to breast-feed in public and a bathroom was not an appropriate place to nurse a child. And she told me I could either go to the bathroom or leave," said Holland.
Holland said she asked the manager to look up the law, and the manager called police.
Civil rights attorney Laurie Rashidi said that the law states that "a woman with child has the right to breast-feed any place that she is lawfully allowed to be."
Applebee's Communications issued a statement on Tuesday saying, "We're in the business of welcoming guests to our restaurants and our top priority is always to provide a friendly and comfortable environment for everyone, including nursing mothers who have the right to nurse in public. This was an unfortunate misunderstanding and we hope the guest will give us another chance to demonstrate that to her personally."
Holland, whose husband is a medevac pilot in Afghanistan, said that she has not personally heard from the company. She said that she would like to see Applebee's institute civil rights training for its staff.
Authorities did not write an incident report because they said it was a civil matter.
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Kristine Kirk, 44, is shot dead 'in front of kids by husband Richard Kirk who was hallucinating after eating a marijuana cookie' - and she had already been on phone to 911 for 13 MINUTES
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Feds 'working with' Georgia even as plans drop out of exchange
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- Chestnut sets new world record in hot dog eating contest
- Police seek help identifying people cashing forged checks
- College Board gives a sneak peak at redesigned SAT
- Georgia Grandparents Arrested for leaving Grandson at a Walmart
- Property tax appeal hearings suspended indefinitely
- Medicaid caution warranted, lawmakers said
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Milton Mother Shannon Lawrence Killed During Custody Exchange
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- Brother of slain man helps identify suspect Ladarius Hardy
- Situation clears some units Wood House Lane
- Police say Augusta man is person of interest in car break-ins
- Where are the parents? Toddler seen 'smoking marijuana' as 'adults are heard heard laughing' in SHOCKING video
- Man awarded $6K for helping police solve deadly crime
- Undocumented students rally for in-state tuition rates
- Alleged threat prompts more police at Auburn
- Douglas Co. High evacuated due to pepper spray
- Major League Soccer comes to Atlanta
- PHOTOS: Boy Scouts plea for return of stolen trailer
- Police arrest suspect acting suspiciously near Kate and William
- Tax-free weekend coming up soon for Alabama & Georgia
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Military Matters: "Hop to the Tanks" food drive for Battle Buddy Resource Center
- Columbus Burglaries: Few Responsible For Many
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- FBI offers $25,000 reward for help finding two suspects in NC kidnapping
- Girl, 16, found naked on the sidewalk after being kidnapped, robbed and pepper-sprayed
- WHINSEC celebrates newly renovated school
- Job fair gives offenders a second chance at life
- 6 indicted on charges in connection to 2011 murder of Steve Toms
- Reminder: CRCT testing is April 15-25
- Flight instructor Mitchell Casado featured in CNN's MH370 coverage fired from job for alleged tardiness and 'shaming Canadians' for dressing like a teenager
- Job fair gives offenders a second chance at life
- Revival on the River: Unity Night brings together community members, churches
- How did you get here? Mystery of the sea lion pup found in an orchard 100 MILES from the ocean
- Embrace the day: Preacher born without limbs spreads his anti-bullying message in Times Square with 10,000 Hugs tour
- Gynecologist Dr Paul Becton 'took naked photos of patients'
- Ten-year-old girl finds her puppy named Snoopy hanging dead from tree in random attack
- Two 'fetish' video models arrested for 'cutting off the heads of chickens and beating rabbits to death in animal-torture fetish porn videos'
- 'We stop, we regroup, we consider': Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott concedes the search for MH370 will soon have to stop
- Suspects connected to Steve Toms murder indicted on additional charges
- Voter registration deadline is April 21
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|