Mom’s boyfriend David Mann Jr charged in 7-year-old’s death
Police believe a 7-year-old boy died at the hands of his mother’s boyfriend.
The boy’s father said he received a call Sept. 18 informing him his son had been rushed to the hospital after a fall on the playground. He said he’s still trying to figure out what happened.
“Sometimes I think it's just a bad dream,” Jesus Martinez told Channel 2’s Eric Philips.
His son, Ethan, died from head injuries. Martinez said when he reached the hospital, he saw David Mann Jr. being arrested. Mann, Ethan’s mother’s live-in boyfriend, is facing murder charges.
Police believe a 7-year-old boy died at the hands of his mother’s boyfriend
Martinez said he’s heard different versions of events leading up to the death. He said he’s been told Ethan was shaken at his Covington home and accidently fell, but Martinez suggested there was something else going on.
“I know it's not just shaking him, something more,” Martinez said.
Martinez had not seen his son in more than a year. He said that was the result of a tense divorce from Ethan's mother. The undocumented immigrant said she threatened to call police if he came to their home.
“I just cried every night. I (was) just feeling something wrong is going to happen,” Martinez said.
He hopes others take heed.
“People need to know what's going on with their kids,” Martinez said.
Mann is charged with murder, aggravated battery and cruelty to children. He's being held in the Newton County Jail without bond.
A memorial service for Ethan is set for Thursday at Livingston Elementary School, where he was enrolled.
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Kristine Kirk, 44, is shot dead 'in front of kids by husband Richard Kirk who was hallucinating after eating a marijuana cookie' - and she had already been on phone to 911 for 13 MINUTES
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Feds 'working with' Georgia even as plans drop out of exchange
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- Chestnut sets new world record in hot dog eating contest
- Police seek help identifying people cashing forged checks
- College Board gives a sneak peak at redesigned SAT
- Georgia Grandparents Arrested for leaving Grandson at a Walmart
- Property tax appeal hearings suspended indefinitely
- Medicaid caution warranted, lawmakers said
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Milton Mother Shannon Lawrence Killed During Custody Exchange
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- Brother of slain man helps identify suspect Ladarius Hardy
- Situation clears some units Wood House Lane
- Police say Augusta man is person of interest in car break-ins
- Where are the parents? Toddler seen 'smoking marijuana' as 'adults are heard heard laughing' in SHOCKING video
- Man awarded $6K for helping police solve deadly crime
- Undocumented students rally for in-state tuition rates
- Alleged threat prompts more police at Auburn
- Douglas Co. High evacuated due to pepper spray
- Major League Soccer comes to Atlanta
- PHOTOS: Boy Scouts plea for return of stolen trailer
- Police arrest suspect acting suspiciously near Kate and William
- Tax-free weekend coming up soon for Alabama & Georgia
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Military Matters: "Hop to the Tanks" food drive for Battle Buddy Resource Center
- Columbus Burglaries: Few Responsible For Many
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- FBI offers $25,000 reward for help finding two suspects in NC kidnapping
- Girl, 16, found naked on the sidewalk after being kidnapped, robbed and pepper-sprayed
- WHINSEC celebrates newly renovated school
- Job fair gives offenders a second chance at life
- 6 indicted on charges in connection to 2011 murder of Steve Toms
- Reminder: CRCT testing is April 15-25
- Flight instructor Mitchell Casado featured in CNN's MH370 coverage fired from job for alleged tardiness and 'shaming Canadians' for dressing like a teenager
- Job fair gives offenders a second chance at life
- Revival on the River: Unity Night brings together community members, churches
- How did you get here? Mystery of the sea lion pup found in an orchard 100 MILES from the ocean
- Embrace the day: Preacher born without limbs spreads his anti-bullying message in Times Square with 10,000 Hugs tour
- Gynecologist Dr Paul Becton 'took naked photos of patients'
- Ten-year-old girl finds her puppy named Snoopy hanging dead from tree in random attack
- Two 'fetish' video models arrested for 'cutting off the heads of chickens and beating rabbits to death in animal-torture fetish porn videos'
- 'We stop, we regroup, we consider': Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott concedes the search for MH370 will soon have to stop
- Suspects connected to Steve Toms murder indicted on additional charges
- Voter registration deadline is April 21
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|