Doctor Richard Ballard had previous DUI before allegedly striking man
Police have added more charges against a Northside Hospital doctor accused of driving drunk and hitting a pedestrian.
Because of GA Daily News' story, the Fulton County district attorney found out the incident was the doctor's second DUI in six weeks.
Channel 2's Dave Huddleston found out Dr. Richard Ballard's Sept. 28 Atlanta drunk
-driving charge isn't his first offense.
Huddleston obtained a copy of Ballard's mug shot from six weeks earlier, when he was arrested for DUI in Roswell.
That was shocking to Alex Arca, the man police say Ballard hit in September.
"This is something that didn't have to happen," Arca said. "I just hope he gets help. It's a sad situation."
Arca is a reserve Army captain who did three tours in the Middle East. He told Huddleston he's supposed to be on weekend duty with his unit, but can't with his injured foot.
"Every month we have drill and we do P.T. I can't train with my guys. So, missing out on a lot of things," Arca said.
One week ago, Ballard and his prominent defense attorney, Steve Weiner, were in municipal court trying to get his September DUI charge reduced to reckless driving, a misdemeanor.
But with information on the
August DUI, Arca's attorney, Bryan Howard, said Ballard not only faces new charges , but could possibly spend more than a decade behind bars.
"Now he could face up to 15 years in prison under a serious injury by vehicle," Howard said. "The scary thing is he obviously has a problem and he need so some help to take care of this problem."
Meantime, Arca has learned he will need surgery on his foot.
"After that, I've got about another three to six months of rehabilitation, so you're looking at about a whole year of wearing this thing and trying to get back to being better," Arca said, showing Huddleston his cast.
Ballard's next court date is scheduled for Nov. 28.
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Sophisticated meth lab found in million dollar lakeside home
- 'Our father and brothers are culprits in this tragedy': Saudi princesses who say they are kept locked in palace without food or water make contact with the outside world
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Former cop shoots dead his wife in front of their two young children
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Incredible images capture the Ethiopian Suri tribe whose girls have lip plates implanted at puberty as a sign of beauty
- Chew dirty rat! Filthy rodent stole grandmother's false teeth and hid them behind the fridge... before her pet Jack Russell caught and killed it
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Verdicts handed down in Jonesboro day care death
- Offers pouring in for Turner Field property
- Police investigate homicide in SW Atlanta
- Experts carry out DNA tests on bones thought to belong to monarchs from 1,000 years ago including King Canute
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Bandits break into Inman Park maintenance shop
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Family appreciates 'Prayers for Lily'
- The Queen photograph by David Bailey marks her 88th birthday
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Medicaid caution warranted, lawmakers said
- Move over selfies... it's time for the dronie: New trend for capturing you and your pals in wide angle aerial shots from a remote controlled camera
- Police say Augusta man is person of interest in car break-ins
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Tragedy as 13-month-old toddler is shot dead in his stroller by teenage robber in front of mother
- Some South Carolina schools see drop in annual assessment
- Former Fortune 500 exec Robert Dellinger charged with murder
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Lowe's Home Improvement Store to bring 600 jobs to northwest Georgia
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- Police seek help identifying people cashing forged checks
- Flood warning for north Georgia
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida
- Georgia Grandparents Arrested for leaving Grandson at a Walmart
- Heavy rain leaves one Aiken County yard inundated by water
- Train commuters run, jump and swing on pole in ‘worst rush hour service ever’
- Hobie Alter honored with traditional Hawaiian paddle-out
- Man, 24, pays the $974 remainder of his student loans in 500 POUNDS of pennies
- Stone Mountain Woman Leann Corley Fakes Pregnancy to Smuggle Pills
- Arion1 Velocipede capsule is a BICYCLE and could be the fastest in history
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- Tax-free weekend coming up soon for Alabama & Georgia
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|