Jalen Ricks: Suspect in Clayton County shootout with deputies dies
A Clayton County teenager is dead after a shootout in which deputies said he hid in the woods and ambushed them.
Clayton County deputies responded to a cul de sac on Warwick Drive in Jonesboro at about 8 a.m. Thursday after seeing a driver speeding through a school zone.
When they got there they said Jalen Ricks, 19, was hiding in the woods.
Investigators said he opened fire, starting a shootout that ended his life and injured a Clayton County deputy, who has since been released the hospital.
Gary McClendon told Jones his daughter was home alone when she saw a red car driven by Ricks zoom into their cul-de-sac.
Officers soon pulled up and McClendon said his daughter heard an eruption of gunfire.
A woman crying at the scene was heard saying, "Is my son shot?"
"And all she kept hearing is gunshots," McClendon said.
Another neighbor said she also saw the red car pull up and then saw a man grab a shotgun out of the trunk of the car then hide in the woods.
Then as officers approached, "she saw one gunshot first and then a bunch started coming on," neighbor Miguel Guzman said.
Clayton County deputies said this all began when Ricks drove recklessly in front of Jonesboro High School
Officers lost him but neighbors along Warwick Drive noticed Ricks and called 911.
Officers said Ricks ambushed them as they arrived.
Jalen Lathon Ricks
"They returned fire on the subject, ultimately striking the subject and one of the officers was shot as well," Deputy Garland Watkins with the Clayton County Sheriff's Office said.
The McClendons said it's sad that Ricks had to lose his life this way, but they understand officers had a job to do.
"The fact that the young man fired on the deputy that was actually over in the woods and kind of like an
ambush, I mean, I kind of understand what happened," McClendon said.
Deputies said the incident happened after Ricks dropped his younger brother off at Jonesboro High School.
Jalen Ricks' sister and friends said they couldn't believe what they were hearing.
"It's not him. That's not my brother. He wouldn't just get out of the car and start shooting at the police," the sister said, who asked not to be identified. "There's so many stories going around. Get your stories straight."
But that's not what investigators are
saying as they focus on finding out what led to the fatal shooting.
Ricks had been attending Perry Learning Center in Joneboro, a school that focuses on vocational training.
He also attended Jonesboro High School last year and played football for the school two years ago according to a former teammate.
"This is my first time experiencing something like this. So, I was just shocked," said former teammate Regis Taylor.
Willis checked Ricks' record after finding two separate mugshots. Willis said he could only access information associated with Ricks' booking photo from DeKalb County when he was arrested for driving with a suspended license.
"Has he been in trouble before?" Willis asked his sister.
"Nothing major. He's a teenager, but nothing major," the sister said.
Ricks was pronounced dead at
Southern Regional Hospital
The leader of one of Atlanta’s most violent and prolific street gangs was sentenced to two life sentences plus 40 years for killing two men ... Full story
- Danita Wilson: Married teacher, 32, 'had sex with SEVEN of her students aged just 15 and 16 for more than a year'
- Hundreds of Drunk Teens Fight in Athens, Ga. Club El Paisano
- Milton Mother Shannon Lawrence Killed During Custody Exchange
- Michael Brandon Hill: Atlanta school shooter stopped by secretary Antoinette Tuff
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- Verdict in Student Athlete Kyle Moore Slaying
- Covington Woman Ketitra Jones shot, killed while driving in Covington
- Emmanuel Hammond Executed For 1988 Killing Of Teacher Julie Love
- Doctors claim pharmacy chain Walgreens refusing to fill pain meds
- 1,900 Bullying Cases Found in Atlanta Area Schools
- Teen Naquelle Ballard charged in baby snatching faces evaluation
- KSU student Tyler Davis dies on campus
- Police allege prostitution at Doraville massage parlor Golden Touch Spa
- Villa Rica man Chase Mayfield back home after pool hall beating
- Man Says Scuffle With Dominique Wilkins Was Over Money
- Former Fulton prosecutor Rand Csehy arrested on drug charges
- Canadian father Brian Schumaker guilty in Atlanta child sex sting
- Clayton County Man Dexter Webb Claims Former Officer Left Him In Hot Car
- Toddler Thrown Out Window During Carjacking
- Atlanta lawyer Antonio Tolliver gets 25 years in prison for vehicular homicide
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer
- Clayton County high school senior Keandre Varner suspended after posting principal's mugshot on Instagram
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI
- Atlanta man Michael Oneal charged in double slaying
- Georgia's Most Dangerous Cities
- 4th Person Surrenders In Shooting That Killed 13-Year-Old
- Missing DeKalb teen Derrick Linkhorn found dead
- Barbie Bandit Ashley Miller Arrested Again
- Teen Yasmeen Fogle Arrested After 79,000 Ecstasy Pills Found On Bus
- Driver George Carroll arrested in Paulding Co. pastor's death
- Police: Gwinnett Woman Belinda Allen steals ID to fund side business
- Augusta teen Kyle Austin Royal found shot to death in car in east Ga.
- Student athlete Kendrick Johnson found dead hours after he was trapped upside down in high school wrestling mat
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Ex-NBA player Javaris Crittenton Freed from Jail
- Rapper OG Double D killed in shooting on I-20
- Police: Gwinnett Mother Ashly Brown drove under influence with child in car
- Ga. woman Emilia Graciela Bell arrested for spanking customer's child
- Georgia triple murder suspect Brian Levern Gupton arrested in Virginia
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|