Police: Teen Paul Sampleton Jr shot to death at home in Grayson
Gwinnett police say they have some good leads in the murder of a 14-year-old Grayson High School student. According to Gwinnett County Police Cpl. Jake Smith, Paul Sampleton Jr. was found dead of a gunshot wound in his home on Haynescrest Drive on Wednesday.
The boy's father arrived home and found his son shot to death around 2:40 p.m., according to police.
Authorities are treating the death as a homicide. Smith said that there was evidence of a robbery inside the apartment. They don't know if the teen had interrupted the burglary or if they had waited for him inside.
Sampleton was a freshman at Grayson High School, according to police.
"He was just always smiling, kind-hearted and everybody loved him. Nobody had problems with him," said Darius Stephens, who said he played football with Sampleton.
Police spent the night combing the area for clues, even bringing out a K-9 unit to search a nearby vacant lot. Detectives aren't saying much about the investigation.
"Detectives are kind of holding on to that information. They do have some leads to work but we're not ready to share that information just yet," said Smith.
Anyone with information on the shooting is urged to contact Gwinnett County police at 770-513-5000.
- Richmond County school board addresses handwriting skills
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- VIDEO: Hilsman Middle is 'Happy'
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- US Airways social media manager speaks out about 'worst tweet of all time'
- Goatnapped: Did someone steal baby Lidya?
- Strong winds cause trees to fall on roadways; home
- Salt intake falls 15%... and heart deaths fall 40% (but we still eat too much of it)
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Region that shaped Tsarnaev more volatile
- Position you sleep in with partner reveals strength of relationship
- Georgia officials scheduled to set tuition rates
- Support for a republic slips to lowest level due to popularity of royals
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Stunned boyfriend of Utah 'baby-killing' mom says he had 'no idea' about six murdered newborns
- Uber driver robbed on Huff Rd.
- Michigan mother Chelsea Traxler and her unborn child killed in car accident
- Hadley Boberg, 20, froze to death after she and a friend lost keys to their Jeep while hiking in Utah woods in frigid weather
- Seattle sewage plant offers FLUSHING brides a $2,000 weddings deal
- Pollen count hits extremely high level
- Mailman discovers man and woman dead together in Brooklyn bathtub, an empty bottle of vodka at hand
- Man charged with leaving hoax device at Boston Marathon finish line
- Georgia fugitive captured after months at large
- “Hop to the Tanks” food drive
- Students bring prom to hospitalized classmate
- Google Glass to hit stores Tuesday
- Suspect flees in car of woman shot, killed in Smyrna
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Walker County elementary student struck and killed by bus
- Lioness survives being gored horrifically by a buffalo
- Auburn woman arrested for allegedly striking victim with her car
- Rapper Drake surprises girl with cancer
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Georgia couple takes extreme approach to fostering animals
- Voter registration deadline is April 21
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Student dies after being hit by 2 taxis jaywalking across busy Manhattan street
- The Cambridges cuddle police puppies as the skies open up for last day of engagements in New Zealand
- Reminder: CRCT testing is April 15-25
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- Services set for fallen Glennville soldier
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Duke and Duchess fly into Sydney political scandal as Barry O'Farrell prepares to greet them just four hours after resigning over 'gift' of $3,000 vintage red wine bottle
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|