Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death
Two teenage suspects, one as young as 14, have been arrested in the shooting death of a 1-year-old Georgia boy, who was killed as his mother pushed him in a stroller, police announced today.
Chief Tobe Green of the Brunswick Police Department said that Demarquis Elkins, 17, and a 14-year-old unidentified suspect whose name has been withheld because of his age, were arrested early this morning in connection with the baby's death, and both have been charged with first-degree murder.
Horror: Demarquis Elkins, 17, allegedly threatened Sherry West then shot her infant son when she didn't give him any money
"We are still investigating the motive, but we are trying to turn every stone to make sure we get a motive," Green said.
Green declined to provide further details, other than to say it continued to be an open investigation, and that no weapon had yet been recovered.
Under Georgia law, Elkins is considered an adult, Green said, but the younger suspect is considered a minor.
"We are still following up on leads from our witnesses and are still involved in collecting evidence," Green said. Search warrants had been issued at three locations near Brunswick, which has a population of about 15,500 people.
Brunswick police, along with a SWAT team and various agencies, had launched a vast manhunt across the Glynn County area in search of the two teenage suspects after the shooting on Thursday morning.
Sherry West, the 41-year-old mother of the child, told police she'd been walking her 13-month-old son, Antonio, in a stroller Thursday morning through their Brunswick, Ga., neighborhood when two African-American boys approached her and demanded money. When she told them she didn't have any money, West said one of the boys pulled out a handgun.
"He said, 'I'm going to kill you if you don't give me money,' and I said, 'I swear I don't have any,"' West told WAWS-TV in Jacksonville, Fla.
West said she tried to shield her child with her arms, but the gunman shoved her and shot the baby in the head. West was shot in the leg.
Going on West's description, police said they began looking for two African-American boys between the ages of 10 and 15 years old since Thursday. No details about how the suspects were arrested were given.
Officer Todd Rhodes, a spokesman for the Brunswick Police Department, confirmed that the weapon used in the shooting was a handgun but declined to describe it further.
Since the shooting, police said 30 different leads had been called into the Brunswick Police Department and the Glynn County Police Department, or were submitted through email. Police said the Glynn County School Board Campus Police had been assisting law enforcement in combing school attendance records for leads.
The leader of one of Atlanta’s most violent and prolific street gangs was sentenced to two life sentences plus 40 years for killing two men ... Full story
- GBI: Jamie Hood Had 10 Hostages, Not 9
- Georgia man Marco Rogers charged for video of men having sex with child
- Classmate Stephen McDaniel Charged in Mercer U. Law Grad's Killing
- Dunwoody police arrest Ronald Cox in child molestation case
- Ex-DeKalb principal Angela Jennings in indictment turns herself in
- Emmanuel Hammond Executed For 1988 Killing Of Teacher Julie Love
- Girl, 16, dies weighing just 40lb after being 'starved by her food-obsessed mother'
- Savannah teenager Preston Phelps charged with murdering father
- Police Identify Woman Found Dead in Jonesboro as Rochelle Alisha Thomas
- Hope McKenzie: Grayson High School Student Dies in Head-On Crash
- Suspect William Heaton in Athens hit-and-run granted $50K bond
- Police say Cyndi Cuffie's report of missing 3-year-old was a hoax
- 2 guilty of murder in brutal Cobb home invasion
- Police evict residents from Yorktowne Condominiums complex over $100K water bill
- Ga. Woman Illyanna De La Keur Says She Was Glued to Toilet Seat
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge
- 4 teens at wrestling camp jailed in sex assault
- Driver Christina Emily Wofford, Ejected, Killed In Sandy Springs Crash
- Second autopsy of teen found dead upside down in wrestling mats reveals it may have been MURDER after all
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Sandy Springs Couple Irene and Jamal Mickens Found Dead In Murder Suicide
- Albany State student Bruce Mullen fatally shot
- Manhunt for two men Donald Brown, 34, and David Crawford, 57 wanted in molestation
- 8-year-old killed in Fulton County hit and run
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- Truck disappears into giant hole hidden underneath pile of snow
- Toni Willis ID'd as woman killed after getting out of car to check on accident
- Court in Georgia orders Christopher Kelley to pay $55k to his ex- after breaking off engagement
- Atlanta Police Chief George Turner Disbands Red Dog Unit
- Georgia man Raymond Wilson sentenced to life for molesting children
- Atlanta woman Victoria Rickman accused of shooting her lover 10 times
- Police arrest suspect Andrae Dinkins in slaying outside billiards hall
- Police: Clayton County teen V'ondra Olivaria accidentally shot to death
- Mom’s boyfriend David Mann Jr charged in 7-year-old’s death
- Co-workers Michelle Chinnis, Tracy Downer killed in horrific tractor-trailer wreck
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car
- Elizabeth Ludwig identified as Woman who fell to her death at Stone Mountain Park
- Fmr. Fed. Judge Jack Camp Sentenced to 30 Days in Jail, Fine
- Clarkston Man, Stephen Bailey, Arrested in Stabbing Death of Georgia Woman Dominique Martin
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|