Atlanta man Jon-Christopher Sowells arrested during BMW test drive
A man who went car shopping in Gwinnett County ended up in jail during a test drive.
Jon-Christopher Sowells had just driven a BMW out of Philips Motors on Highway 78 in Snellville when an officer stopped him.
Sowell told the media that he pulled over, unclear about why the Snellville police officer stopped him.
"He said you don't have any tags on the car. I said, ‘No problem, I don't have any tags on this car because it's not my car. The dealer is right there we can get it all clarified,’” Sowells said.
Sowells said he asked the officers to call the dealer three or four times, then the officer asked to see some paperwork on the back seat. Not knowing what the papers were, Sowells refused.
“They asked me to get out of the car. I said 'I don't feel comfortable.' They commenced to open up the car door and they tried to drag me out of the door by my left arm," he said.
At that point, Sowells says, the officer had called for backup.
According to the police report, Sowells pulled away from the officers. Two officers grabbed their Tasers and Sowells got out of the car. He was arrested for obstruction.
“They're treating me like I'm a criminal and I hadn't done anything," he said.
Snellville Police Chief Roy Whitehead emailed Kavanaugh a statement.
"The officer observed a paper on the rear seat that appeared to be of the type dealers use when placing a vehicle for sale. He asked if he could retrieve it and Mr. Sowells refused. Based on his refusal to provide information and his passive and then active resistance, Mr. Sowells was charged with obstruction," the statement said.
Whitehead also noted that because no one answered the phone at the dealership, the officer drove there to verify Sowell's story.
"The dealer comes out to pick the car up and at this point, I'm thinking we can all go home everything is OK now. No it's not OK, I'm going to jail," Sowells said.
Sowells said he has never been arrested before and he plans to fight the charge. He also bought the BMW. Snellville police contend he had opportunities to cooperate with their investigation.
- Husband and wife, both police officers in Chicago, dead in apparent murder-suicide
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- Undocumented students rally for in-state tuition rates
- Gregory Favors Identified as State Trooper Shooting Suspect
- Police say Augusta man is person of interest in car break-ins
- American parents heartbroken as Congolese government refuses to hand over orphans they adopted a year ago
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered
- Captain America beats up the competition at the box office for third straight weekend while Johnny Depp disappoints again
- 37th Street shooting under investigation
- BREAKING NEWS: 16-year-old boy survives UNHARMED after flying from California to Hawaii in the wheel-well
- Uptown Columbus turns blue for Light Up Columbus Glow Run benefiting Autism
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- Family appreciates 'Prayers for Lily'
- Verdicts handed down in Jonesboro day care death
- Father speeds his newborn baby to the hospital with one hand cradling the infant and the on the wheel after roadside delivery
- Discovery of long-lost World War II dog tags may solve the 70-year-old mystery of a soldier's death
- Situation clears some units Wood House Lane
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Offers pouring in for Turner Field property
- Bandits break into Inman Park maintenance shop
- Police investigate homicide in SW Atlanta
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- Tax-free weekend coming up soon for Alabama & Georgia
- 'I will be back!': Jim Kelly says he's bouncing back from cancer in thank you message to fans
- Palmetto Electric holds annual meeting with events for everyone
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Edmond Aviv ordered by judge to hold 'I'm a bully!' sign
- Chocolate demand in China outstripping cocoa bean production
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous'
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida
- Stone Mountain Woman Leann Corley Fakes Pregnancy to Smuggle Pills
- Neighborhood association treasurer charged after money goes missing
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- 5 accused in NC abduction to have bond hearing
- 'I might have been the one who shot NFL star' Ranger admits 10 years after football legend Pat Tillman was killed in friendly fire
- Savannah police track down Bryan Co. burglary suspects
- Unidentified Woman Killed By Street Sweeper in Macon
- Wyck Knox Jr., Thomas Blanchard Jr. to be inducted into CSRA Business Hall of Fame
- Shoplifting suspects wanted in Augusta
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- X-Ray of friendly stray dog rescued reveals horrific abuse suffered in the past as it captures more than 50 BB gun pellets
- 'It gives you chills to see patriotism like this': Military kids spontaneously stand and break out into National Anthem in Spanish cinema after seeing moving movie clip
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|