Atlanta man Jon-Christopher Sowells arrested during BMW test drive
A man who went car shopping in Gwinnett County ended up in jail during a test drive.
Jon-Christopher Sowells had just driven a BMW out of Philips Motors on Highway 78 in Snellville when an officer stopped him.
Sowell told the media that he pulled over, unclear about why the Snellville police officer stopped him.
"He said you don't have any tags on the car. I said, ‘No problem, I don't have any tags on this car because it's not my car. The dealer is right there we can get it all clarified,’” Sowells said.
Sowells said he asked the officers to call the dealer three or four times, then the officer asked to see some paperwork on the back seat. Not knowing what the papers were, Sowells refused.
“They asked me to get out of the car. I said 'I don't feel comfortable.' They commenced to open up the car door and they tried to drag me out of the door by my left arm," he said.
At that point, Sowells says, the officer had called for backup.
According to the police report, Sowells pulled away from the officers. Two officers grabbed their Tasers and Sowells got out of the car. He was arrested for obstruction.
“They're treating me like I'm a criminal and I hadn't done anything," he said.
Snellville Police Chief Roy Whitehead emailed Kavanaugh a statement.
"The officer observed a paper on the rear seat that appeared to be of the type dealers use when placing a vehicle for sale. He asked if he could retrieve it and Mr. Sowells refused. Based on his refusal to provide information and his passive and then active resistance, Mr. Sowells was charged with obstruction," the statement said.
Whitehead also noted that because no one answered the phone at the dealership, the officer drove there to verify Sowell's story.
"The dealer comes out to pick the car up and at this point, I'm thinking we can all go home everything is OK now. No it's not OK, I'm going to jail," Sowells said.
Sowells said he has never been arrested before and he plans to fight the charge. He also bought the BMW. Snellville police contend he had opportunities to cooperate with their investigation.
The leader of one of Atlanta’s most violent and prolific street gangs was sentenced to two life sentences plus 40 years for killing two men ... Full story
- Georgia man Marco Rogers charged for video of men having sex with child
- Police say Cyndi Cuffie's report of missing 3-year-old was a hoax
- Rapper OG Double D killed in shooting on I-20
- Ex-DeKalb principal Angela Jennings in indictment turns herself in
- Ga. Woman Illyanna De La Keur Says She Was Glued to Toilet Seat
- Dunwoody police arrest Ronald Cox in child molestation case
- Police arrest Michael Phillip Pattillo in shooting of Griffin woman
- GBI: Jamie Hood Had 10 Hostages, Not 9
- Police: Teen Alexander Koser shot, killed by stepfather Eric Brandon in Milton
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- Guilty Verdict in Joanna Hayes Murder Trial
- Mom’s boyfriend David Mann Jr charged in 7-year-old’s death
- Court in Georgia orders Christopher Kelley to pay $55k to his ex- after breaking off engagement
- Former Youth Pastor Nathan Donald Moore Charged With Child Molestation
- Police arrest 26-year-old Kerrianne Johnson for child molestation
- Georgia woman Jamie Bentley charged with starving newborn baby
- Police Identify Woman Found Dead in Jonesboro as Rochelle Alisha Thomas
- Georgia man Raymond Wilson sentenced to life for molesting children
- Girl, 16, dies weighing just 40lb after being 'starved by her food-obsessed mother'
- Megachurch pastor Wiley Jackson, brother indicted for alleged business scheme
- Kennesaw pastor John Pinkston facing child molestation charges
- Atlanta man Michael Oneal charged in double slaying
- Truck disappears into giant hole hidden underneath pile of snow
- Chandler Weems: 14-year-old boy on bicycle killed by police car in Georgia
- Georgia man David Bennett accused of beating girlfriend with baseball bat
- Police: Clayton County teen V'ondra Olivaria accidentally shot to death
- Off-Duty Atlanta Police Officer Michael Awe Found Dead
- Clayton County high school senior Keandre Varner suspended after posting principal's mugshot on Instagram
- Paulding County gym teacher Robert Cartwright accused of molesting student
- Fan Who Died in Stadium Fall Was 29-Year-Old Ronald Lee Homer Jr.
- Ex-police officer Michael Bernard Wilson found guilty of molesting girl
- Assistant principal Genghis Shakhan accused of 'excessive force'
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Brandon Philpot arrested in recording studio slaying
- 4 teens at wrestling camp jailed in sex assault
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida
- 10 Students Arrested After Food Fight at Lovejoy High School
- Athens man James Maurice Hood convicted in slaying over painkillers
- Second autopsy of teen found dead upside down in wrestling mats reveals it may have been MURDER after all
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|