Teenager Kendrick Johnson found dead in high school gym mat; body stuffed with newspaper and organs removed
THE parents of a teenage student found dead and rolled up in a gym mat at a US high school believe their son met with foul play, and were shocked to discover he had been buried with organs missing and his body stuffed with newspaper.
Kendrick Johnson, 17, was found dead at Lowndes County High School in Valdosta, Georgia on January 11, CNN reports.
His death was at first ruled an accident, after an autopsy determined the athletic teenager had suffocated after becoming trapped in the gym mat while reaching for a sneaker.
However, Kendrick’s grieving parents Kenneth and Jacquelyn Johnson are pushing for answers, and suspect their son was murdered.
Adding to their distress was the discovery that their son’s organs had been removed and his body stuffed with newspaper before burial.
“Like a garbage can insides his body”, Mrs Johnson told CNN. "It's unbelievable."
Determined to get to the truth, the Johnsons hired a private pathologist, who found their son died not from suffocation, but from “unexplained, apparent non-accidental, blunt force trauma”.
In a bizarre twist, the pathologist also discovered all of Kendrick’s internal organs from his skull to pelvis were missing, and that his body and skull had been had been stuffed with newspaper before burial.
"We have been let down again," father Kenneth Johnson told CNN. “When we buried Kendrick, we thought we were burying Kendrick, not half of Kendrick.”
State medical officials say the organs were intact when Kendrick’s body was given to the funeral home. However, the funeral home says the never received the organs and believes they were destroyed “through natural process” due to the position of the body at the time of death and then disposed of during the autopsy.
The family’s lawyers are now calling on authorities to release gym surveillance video they believe will help uncover the truth about how their son died.
"There is one eyewitness that we know is available. It is the video recordings made from surveillance cameras there in the gymnasium where the body was found,” said lawyer Chevene B King Jr. The family have also hired lawyer Benjamin Crump, who represented the family of slain Florida teenager Trayvon Martin.
“We will solve this murder mystery. We will get to the truth,” said Mr Crump.
Mrs Johnson said the pain of her son’s death was “unbearable, just about."
"The only thing that wakes you up in the morning is to just keep pushing,” she said.
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- Support for a republic slips to lowest level due to popularity of royals
- Duke and Duchess fly into Sydney political scandal as Barry O'Farrell prepares to greet them just four hours after resigning over 'gift' of $3,000 vintage red wine bottle
- Man charged with leaving hoax device at Boston Marathon finish line
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- VIDEO: Hilsman Middle is 'Happy'
- Father who spent six years fighting to see daughter who was adopted without his consent finally gets to spend time with her
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Auburn woman arrested for allegedly striking victim with her car
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in Cherokee County after driver Jemail Jones runs stop sign
- Michael Baldwin, Gregory Rainwater, Alvin Norris arrested in brutal beating of man at pool hall
- Jeremiah Warthen: Suspect accused of striking, killing toddler, grandmother denied bond
- Tragedy as 13-month-old toddler is shot dead in his stroller by teenage robber in front of mother
- Ga. police department adds hybrids to its fleet
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- Situation clears some units Wood House Lane
- LIFE IN PRISON: Ariel Castro: "I'm not a monster, I'm sick"
- Services set for fallen Glennville soldier
- Heavy rain leaves one Aiken County yard inundated by water
- SC prison guard gave inmates key impressions
- Sherry West's daughter Ashley Glassey says mother's account of baby Antonio shooting 'doesn't add up'
- Suspect flees in car of woman shot, killed in Smyrna
- The 60-somethings who look half their age from behind... and they're ready to reveal how they've maintained a youthful rear view
- The best 100 restaurants in the world revealed - and Heston Blumenthal gets mentioned twice!
- Hilarious video shows cat unraveling entire roll of toilet paper, then dutifully re-rolling it back up again
- Hadley Boberg, 20, froze to death after she and a friend lost keys to their Jeep while hiking in Utah woods in frigid weather
- Judge awards $53,000 engagement ring to woman dumped via text message
- Revealed: Obama's friend and civil rights firebrand Rev. Al Sharpton was a paid FBI informant who wore wire to trap Genovese family wiseguys
- Black salve ointment leaves man with an inch-wide HOLE in his head
- 49 dead horses found on Larry Browning's Kentucky farm
- Lanett man dies, police issue murder warrant
- Swim in an ELECTRIC reef: Manmade islands could use low voltage currents to grow coral - and protect coastlines from tsunamis
- Dutch teen is ARRESTED in Rotterdam after tweeting 'joke' bomb threat to American Airlines
- Strong winds cause trees to fall on roadways; home
- Goatnapped: Did someone steal baby Lidya?
- Georgia fugitive captured after months at large
- “Hop to the Tanks” food drive
- Students bring prom to hospitalized classmate
- Google Glass to hit stores Tuesday
- Georgia couple takes extreme approach to fostering animals
- Worker Falls into Well at Landfill, Dies
- 3 DeKalb detention officers arrested
- Milton Mother Shannon Lawrence Killed During Custody Exchange
- Dekalb Man Danny Benson Accused Of Approaching Toddler At Chastain Park
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- DragonCon co-founder Ed Kramer files hundreds of complaints from jail
- Dustin Castelow wins Columbus' American Idol contest
- Merritt bonds out of jail following arson charges
- Child molestation suspect hospitalized
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|