Teenager Kendrick Johnson found dead in high school gym mat; body stuffed with newspaper and organs removed
THE parents of a teenage student found dead and rolled up in a gym mat at a US high school believe their son met with foul play, and were shocked to discover he had been buried with organs missing and his body stuffed with newspaper.
Kendrick Johnson, 17, was found dead at Lowndes County High School in Valdosta, Georgia on January 11, CNN reports.
His death was at first ruled an accident, after an autopsy determined the athletic teenager had suffocated after becoming trapped in the gym mat while reaching for a sneaker.
However, Kendrick’s grieving parents Kenneth and Jacquelyn Johnson are pushing for answers, and suspect their son was murdered.
Adding to their distress was the discovery that their son’s organs had been removed and his body stuffed with newspaper before burial.
“Like a garbage can insides his body”, Mrs Johnson told CNN. "It's unbelievable."
Determined to get to the truth, the Johnsons hired a private pathologist, who found their son died not from suffocation, but from “unexplained, apparent non-accidental, blunt force trauma”.
In a bizarre twist, the pathologist also discovered all of Kendrick’s internal organs from his skull to pelvis were missing, and that his body and skull had been had been stuffed with newspaper before burial.
"We have been let down again," father Kenneth Johnson told CNN. “When we buried Kendrick, we thought we were burying Kendrick, not half of Kendrick.”
State medical officials say the organs were intact when Kendrick’s body was given to the funeral home. However, the funeral home says the never received the organs and believes they were destroyed “through natural process” due to the position of the body at the time of death and then disposed of during the autopsy.
The family’s lawyers are now calling on authorities to release gym surveillance video they believe will help uncover the truth about how their son died.
"There is one eyewitness that we know is available. It is the video recordings made from surveillance cameras there in the gymnasium where the body was found,” said lawyer Chevene B King Jr. The family have also hired lawyer Benjamin Crump, who represented the family of slain Florida teenager Trayvon Martin.
“We will solve this murder mystery. We will get to the truth,” said Mr Crump.
Mrs Johnson said the pain of her son’s death was “unbearable, just about."
"The only thing that wakes you up in the morning is to just keep pushing,” she said.
- Southern Charm finale introduces Thomas Ravenel and Kathryn Dennis' baby girl
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Teacher Saralyn Gayle Portwood arrested for inappropriate relationship with student
- Tobias A. Bowen caught in Britain
- Grand jury rules shooting not authorized
- Henry County teen wont give up fight to cure cancer
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- South Korean plastic surgery so good people need CERTIFICATES to prove who they are
- Former Gwinnett Co. commissioner Shirley Lasseter to be sentenced
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- Ala. drivers license department to close for a few days
- A gentleman is always on time and makes love on his elbows... but doesn't tweet or own a cat: Country Life reveal the ten dos and don'ts of the 'Gentlemanly Commandments'
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- 3rd Annual Mother’s Day Tea to be held April 26
- Use of force 'not justified' in officer shooting of Bartow teen
- Rapper OG Double D killed in shooting on I-20
- Fox Elementary 3rd grade video production wins Best Movie honor
- Time Magazine says Columbus residents are "terrified", Mayor Tomlinson responds
- Same-sex couples file lawsuit over marriage equality
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- She really WAS pregnant! Southern Charm's disgraced South Carolina politician and much younger girlfriend DID have a baby despite show's pregnancy scare false alarm
- Ft. Benning to host college fair
- Mother fighting to get baby back from son of former mayor of Oklahoma City claims she was deceived into giving him up for adoption
- Gwinnett County commissioner Shirley Lasseter resigns, pleads guilty to bribery charge
- Train commuters run, jump and swing on pole in ‘worst rush hour service ever’
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Adam Pearson hopes to beat prejudice after Under The Skin
- Sheriff: Murder investigation underway in Seale, Ala.
- Bibb Sheriff's looking for burglary suspect
- Mother who 'lifted 6-month-old baby over her head by the feet before smashing her into a dresser' pleads not guilty to murder
- Michigan man among 1st in US to get 'bionic eye'
- Epperly Tire to donate all proceeds from April 23 oil changes to Scott’s Ride for Miracles
- Body at San Francisco General Hospital may be missing woman Lynne Spalding
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Duke and Duchess learn to DJ: William and Kate hit the decks in Adelaide as they visit suburb named after the Queen
- Gorgeous George... The baby fashion icon: How Prince's outfits have sparked a rush to the shops from ambitious parents
- Oprah Winfrey's bitter stepmother Barbara in explosive first-ever interview
- The secret to happiness? Visit a library... and avoid the gym: Study finds which activities most boost our contentment
- Paige Laurie divorce get ugly as she sues Bo Dubbert for stealing from her
- Photographer shows the Brazilian communities that could be destroyed as the government evicts the poor from their homes for construction projects to prepare for the Olympics and World Cup
- Accused murderer wants 'murder' neck tattoo removed before his trial
- 'Manipulative' Miami man, 42, GUILTY of brutally murdering his wife with a tire iron just four days after their wedding so he could claim her $1 million life insurance
- Your Voice, Your Vote: U.S. Senate (GA)
- Couples challenge Georgia’s gay marriage ban
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|