Single-Digit Wind Chill Grips metro Atlanta and north Georgia
ATLANTA, Ga. - People across metro Atlanta and north Georgia woke up to wind chill readings in the single digits on Tuesday, said Severe Weather Team 2 meteorologist Karen Minton.
In the city of Atlanta, Minton said the temperature was 15 degrees just before 7 a.m., but the wind chill reading was 0.
Minton was monitoring whether the temperature across metro Atlanta would set a record, but so far, the temperature in Atlanta matched the record low for the date set in 1917.
Some schools, government offices and businesses were either closed or delayed Tuesday due to the deep freeze and the possibility of slick roads.
And just when you thought the rain, sleet and snow was gone -- Minton said more wet stuff appears to be on the way.
"We might see a mix of precipitation on Wednesday," said Minton.
The wintry weather has posed a challenge for firefighters, as heavy winds have downed trees and left some Georgia residents without power.
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- Bottle of wine a day 'is not bad for you': Leading scientist also claim those who exceed recommended does could live longer than teetotallers
- Hobie Alter honored with traditional Hawaiian paddle-out
- Dammion Heard's parents dispute findings that their star wrestler son, 20, killed himself as it's revealed the college student got into a fight the night he went missing
- Newton High School basketball coach James Carter accused of sexting student
- Two teens and man who stopped to help them killed in Miami car crash
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- Easter Egg Hunts all over the CSRA!
- North Carolina girl, 3, loses part of both legs in lawn mower accident
- Columbus police make shoplifting arrests at Peachtree Mall
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Is THIS the SR-72 spy plane? Mystery aircraft spotted flying over Kansas just weeks after being seen in Texas
- Verdicts handed down in Jonesboro day care death
- The Duchess wears an L.K. Bennett dress as she and Wills leave Sydney
- Tomlinson discusses Columbus' growth as Georgia's second largest city
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Prototype Pontiac Firebirds found in Connecticut garage
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Kimchi Truong, 24, dies from overdose after collapsing at Coachella
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- Prince William enjoys a beer alongside Kate Middleton at rugby game
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Woman shot during robbery in Glennville
- Family appreciates 'Prayers for Lily'
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Bandits break into Inman Park maintenance shop
- Undocumented students rally for in-state tuition rates
- Police investigate homicide in SW Atlanta
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- SC prison guard gave inmates key impressions
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- Offers pouring in for Turner Field property
- Property tax appeal hearings suspended indefinitely
- Situation clears some units Wood House Lane
- Feds 'working with' Georgia even as plans drop out of exchange
- High school senior forms petition against Michele Obama
- Car thief is forced to pull over and release an infant and a pair of seven year old twin boys after they beat the driver with a toy snake until he let them go
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|