Coach Frank Samuelson Responds To Racial Slurs On Facebook
SNELLVILLE, Ga. -- Comments a metro youth football coach made on his personal Facebook page have divided parents in Snellville.
Frank Samuelson coaches a 10-year-old team for the Brookwood Football Association.
Samuelson told Channel 2’s Mike Petchenik by phone that he admits to posting what some might consider distasteful comments about ethnic minorities.
But, Samuelson said they were from conversations between him and several friends who are minorities.
According to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Samuelson called Asians “Red Dots” and Hispanics “Beaners.”
Samuelson apologized for making the comments and voluntarily stepped down from the Brookwood board, but he’s still coaching.
He said the comments were taken out of context by parents not happy with decisions made by the board when he sat on it.
Samuelson said he’s hired an attorney and is considering a defamation lawsuit against those who are spreading the contents of his web page.
Tuesday night, parents were scheduled to hold their annual meeting, at which they’ll nominate members for next year’s board.
A source close to the board told Petchenik that bylaws prevent any new nominations, and that so far, none of the anti-Samuelson parents have submitted their names for consideration.
That source said if none of the nominated people get enough votes, the current board will remain.
That source expected some parents might ask for the removal of Samuelson as a coach and that they might attempt to oust the entire current sitting board.
Channel 2’s Mike Petchenik planned to attend the meeting on Tuesday night. He also obtained a copy of an apology letter from Samuelson.
I am writing to apologize for the recent events that have taken place within our park about me. This has been a very troubling time for each of you as well. The pieces of my Facebook posts that have been at the center of all of this were either done so in a mean spirited or misguided manner, and I want to take a few moments of your time to help clear the air,” wrote Samuelson.
“The things I remarked about were meant to be humorous or at least thought provoking in front of the eyes of my friends who make up a variety of different people of from every walk of life, race and many national origins. It really, really bothered me to think that people were offended by any of this because if anything, it was meant to either respond to some of my friend’s posts or poke at them in turn. It was never the intention of mine to make anyone feel offended,” Samuelson continued.
“In closing, the last several days have been very trying for me and my wife as we have watched this whole thing unfold. We have not involved our children in any of this, as we did not want to share our troubles with them. The last thing I want each and every one of you to know is that I love coaching your kids. There is and always will be a spot in my heart for your children, and I thank you all for sharing them with me,”
- 'They had robbed my family': Widow's anguish as three teens indicted for killing married father of two on son's birthday after he willingly gave the muggers his wallet
- Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's brother Mark Shand in critical condition after fall outside NY club
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Teacher Saralyn Gayle Portwood arrested for inappropriate relationship with student
- Zoo Atlanta has warthog births for spring
- Parents of school employee who reported coworkers were stealing to buy meth seek FBI probe over his 'suicide'
- Tobias A. Bowen caught in Britain
- She really WAS pregnant! Southern Charm's disgraced South Carolina politician and much younger girlfriend DID have a baby despite show's pregnancy scare false alarm
- Oprah Winfrey's bitter stepmother Barbara in explosive first-ever interview
- 'Sizzurp' cough syrup used by Justin Bieber and Lil' Wayne has been pulled off the market amid manufacturer fears it's being abused as a drug
- Paige Laurie divorce get ugly as she sues Bo Dubbert for stealing from her
- Adam Pearson hopes to beat prejudice after Under The Skin
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Sean Studler, 17, dragged by train and killed 'was wearing headphones'
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- A gentleman is always on time and makes love on his elbows... but doesn't tweet or own a cat: Country Life reveal the ten dos and don'ts of the 'Gentlemanly Commandments'
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Gorgeous George... The baby fashion icon: How Prince's outfits have sparked a rush to the shops from ambitious parents
- Henry County teen wont give up fight to cure cancer
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Grand jury rules shooting not authorized
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Mother fighting to get baby back from son of former mayor of Oklahoma City claims she was deceived into giving him up for adoption
- Manchester High evacuated over 'text message' bomb threat
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- South Korean plastic surgery so good people need CERTIFICATES to prove who they are
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Dr. Zyad Younan refuses to pay $135k strip club bill because he claims he was 'drugged'
- Governor to sign controversial gun bill into law
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Duke and Duchess learn to DJ: William and Kate hit the decks in Adelaide as they visit suburb named after the Queen
- Accused murderer wants 'murder' neck tattoo removed before his trial
- Henry Co. teenager working on cancer cure
- Nolana Griffin sentenced to 25 years 'for having sex with 4 students ages 15 to 17'
- Meet 12 girls 'duped' by show which promises chance to marry Prince Harry
- Time Magazine says Columbus residents are "terrified", Mayor Tomlinson responds
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Man back in jail on rape charges after previous peeping tom arrest
- Al Gore's youngest daughter Sarah, 35, gets remarried under an old pine tree in casual outdoor service in California
- Former Fortune 500 exec Robert Dellinger charged with murder
- Obama goes golfing instead of attending aunts funeral
- Five-year-old starved in closet Jordan Bleimeyer pictured on road to recovery
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|