Ice Cripples Metro Roads in Atlanta, Highways Are 'Impassable'
ATLANTA -- Layers of ice and snow made some metro Atlanta roads and highways virtually impossible to drive for a second day as Georgia Department of Transportation crews worked quickly to alleviate the number of stranded vehicles.
GDOT has 45 trucks on the road in the metro area and said road crews are working 12 hour shifts to improve or at least maintain the roadways.
Big rigs trying to navigate through icy conditions Monday were blamed for several accidents across metro Atlanta and northern Georgia, many of trucks remains parked on the side of the interstates on Tuesday.
GA Daily News traffic reporter Mark Arum said I-285 in south Metro Atlanta took the worst of it. "Avoid the entire south side perimeter. It's impassable," said Arum. "We have a number of problems Tuesday morning that we had on Monday morning. Some commuters have been stuck for hours," Arum added.
The closings included:
* I-20 in Rockdale County from exit 78 to exit 88
* I-285 was blocked at I-75 in Clayton County and Bouldercrest Rd.
* I-75 northbound was blocked at the South Loop. The alternate Hwy. 41 was also ice covered
* I-675 northbound ramp to I-285
* I-285 ramp to Indian Creek MARTA station
I-20 was blocked at Highway 6 by tractor trailers stranded in the ice but some smaller cars were able to snake through, according to Arum. For that reason, the Georgia Department of Transportation put out an urgent plea asking drivers of tractor-trailers to limit their travel to emergencies only.
“The interstates are proving to be difficult for vehicles to maneuver, so please try to avoid any travel if at all possible,” said State Maintenance Engineer Eric Pitts.
In metro Atlanta, the snow had stopped falling by Monday morning, but falling sleet and freezing rain threatened to worsen treacherous road conditions.
"We'll have freezing drizzle on and off most of the day, so the freezing rain advisory could be extended," said Severe Weather Team 2 meteorologist David Chandley.
"I'm not expecting additional accumulations, just a glaze on the snowpack. Temperatures on Tuesday will struggle into the low 30s, with just an hour or so above 32 and then falling tonight with the arrival of an arctic front," added Chandley.
"A great thaw will not take place until the weekend when highs finally reach the 40s," said Chandley.
That's why Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed is urging drivers to stay off the roads.
Many streets and highways across metro Atlanta and north Georgia are coated with ice, and because temperatures won't rise above freezing, there is no immediate end in sight.
"We have received numerous calls regarding abandoned vehicles on the roadway and stranded motorists," said Fulton County police spokesman Kimberley M. Everett.
Atlanta police said they responded to 22 accidents Monday due to the weather. Between 9 p.m. Sunday and 2 p.m. Monday, DeKalb County officials said they dispatched 919 calls.
Severe Weather Team 2 chief meteorologist Glenn Burns echoed the mayor's message.
“What’s ahead is a very grim scenario,” said Burns. "Even though they salt the roads and sand the roads, we still get more freezing rain and freezing drizzle developing after that."
A winter storm warning was canceled for metro Atlanta and northern Georgia on Monday afternoon, but it was replaced by a freezing rain advisory that will remain in effect until 9 a.m. Tuesday.
Freezing rain, which is rain that freezes on contact with surfaces that are 32 degrees or lower, would continue possibly until Wednesday, Severe Weather Team 2 meteorologist Brad Nitz said. He said very little melting will occur because temperatures will not rise above 32 degrees until Tuesday afternoon.
"The snowpack and ice pack is likely to stay here right through the rest of the week," Nitz said.
DOT salt trucks hit the streets, working to keep the roads clear. Georgia Department of Transportation representative David Spear said 1,000 workers and almost 600 pieces of equipment were out statewide.
“People just need to stay in today. It’s not a joke,” Spear said Monday.
Channel 2’s Richard Elliot went to midtown Atlanta, where a DOT officer was digging out a driver stuck in the snow.
Abandoned cars across metro Atlanta streets and interstates demonstrated the danger of road conditions. Ten abandoned cars were lined up on Interstate 20 near Flat Shoals Road.
A MARTA bus spun out on Interstate 85 early Monday morning. A few hours later, MARTA officials said bus service was canceled for the day and rail service was delayed.
"Bus service will be temporarily suspended for Tuesday until conditions improve enough to allow vehicles back onto the streets," MARTA representative Cara Hudgson said.
The storm system prompted many school districts to cancel classes and airlines to cancel hundreds of flights Monday. Some of metro Atlanta's biggest school districts have called off classes for Tuesday, too. CLICK HERE for a complete list of closings.
Gov. Sonny Perdue declared a state of emergency in Georgia as a result of the winter storm. Perdue issued the executive order Sunday night, hours before the storm was supposed to hit. It was his last act as governor. Gov.-elect Nathan Deal was sworn in Monday. Deal canceled all nonessential inaugural activities for Monday due to winter weather. Neither the Prayer Breakfast at Mount Paran nor the Celebration at Philips Arena was held.
Georgia Power officials said they put all employees on standby to prepare for potential mass power outages. By Tuesday morning, just a few homes were without power. Georgia EMC reported under 200 metro Atlanta outages as well.
"In an ice storm, customers should be prepared for the possibility of widespread outages and possibly extended outages. We recommend that they do whatever they need to be prepared for that," Georgia Power's Mike Williams told Channel 2's Mike Petchenik.
Hundreds of flights were canceled at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport in advance of the winter storm and that continued after the snow and freezing rain passed.
Delta Air Lines canceled 330 flights Sunday and another 1,400 flights Monday. AirTran Airways flight cancellations totaled 330 Monday.
Both airlines are allowing passengers whose flights are canceled to change them without fees.
An Elizabethtown woman working on a degree in criminal justice now faces a felony charge of institutional sex assault, according to police. Kayla Danielle Davis, 22, ... Full story
- Deputies perform "pit maneuver" to end chase
- Atlanta City Council looks at donating tax money to charity
- New Jersey Governor Chris Christie in Atlanta
- Nike’s Sexist “Gold Digging” Shirt Under Fire
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Is this the most sexist TV program in history? Chat show where women strip off as two men critique their naked bodies
- CNN anchor Deborah Feyeric claims meteor hurtling toward Earth could be a result of global warming
- Mountain biker rockets down ski slope at 135 mph
- Pregnant weightlifter just two weeks away from giving birth provokes online storm
- 1,000 mph car with Bloodhound rocket fired for first time (video)
- Stern family plane crash: Three killed after homemade plane crashes into nature preserve
- Man (or Superman?) survives being hit by train traveling 110 mph
- Meet Colonel Meow, the world's hairiest cat
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Sailor from Oregon Jonathon Gibson killed in Red Sea helicopter crash
- Florida man's smartphone takes a bullet for him
- Body of girl, 10, found badly burned in Atlanta trash can as her father is arrested
- Some UGA students calling for a change with arch ceremony
- Atlanta middle school principal resigns following report
- James Fortune to perform at free concert
- Christopher P. Dona named as Army Ranger killed in parachute mishap
- Antonio McDyess Buzzer Beater: Spurs Beat Lakers With Last-Second Tip-In (VIDEO)
- Charges dropped for UVA student Elizabeth Daly in water-buying incident
- President Obama catches fainting pregnant woman
- Gunmen throw grenades at mall in Nairobi, Kenya
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Jeremiah Fogle, 57, killed wife Theresa Brown and shot 2 pastors
- ‘I’ve been beating myself up all day’: John Travolta breaks silence over ‘Adele Dazeem’ gaffe
- Atlanta man Michael Oneal charged in double slaying
- RSS Syndication
- Man buys $27 of bitcoin, now he's a millionaire
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Athens man James Maurice Hood convicted in slaying over painkillers
- Why doesn't Evan Gattis catch for Julio Teheran?
- Cashier Mary Jane Hart sells herself $1 million winning Powerball ticket
- Tampa Bay Rays mascot holds inappropriate Steve Irwin sign
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- Buyers of Dell's new Latitude 6430u Ultrabook complain it smells of cat urine
- 'Mars Needs Moms' review: A charming, subversive, minor addition to CGI family film club
- Paulding County gym teacher Robert Cartwright accused of molesting student
- Louisa Ball: Real-life Sleeping Beauty who sleeps for two weeks at a time
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- Britney's Spears suffers from scaly feet
- Take 24 seconds to watch this unbelievable knockout
- Tax-free weekend coming up soon for Alabama & Georgia
- Hope Solo: 911 call details on altercation with then-fiance Jerramy Stevens
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|