Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
With a pint of beer in one hand and a glass of wine in the other, the worst thing you could accuse Ashley Payne of is mixing her drink.
But this happy holiday picture has cost the high school teacher her job after a parent spotted it on Facebook - and complained.
The picture was taken while travelling around Europe in the summer of 2009.
'And you know, I'm confused as to why I am being asked this, but I said, "Yes", and he said, "Do you have any pictures of yourself up there with alcohol?"'
He then offered her an option: resign or be suspended.
She chose to resign.
Unacc-sip-table: Miss payne was told to resign or face suspension
School officials also took offence to the use of the B-word on the page.
Miss Payne is now in a bitter legal battle with the school to get her job back.
Fighter: Miss Payne talks to CBS News. She is now in a bitter legal battle with Apalachee High School, in Winder, Georgia to get her job back
Her lawyer, Richard Storrs, said: 'It would be like I went to a restaurant and I saw my daughter's teacher sitting there with her husband having a glass of some kind of liquid.
'You know, is that frowned upon by the school board? Is that illegal? Is that improper? Of course not. It's the same situation in this case.'
The English teacher later found out it was one anonymous emailer who shopped her to the school board after seeing the picture on the social networking site.
But she is baffled how a parent could gain access to her page when she has all her privacy settings on 'high', meaning only her closest friends have permission to see her pictures.
She admits putting the 'offensive' pictures on Facebook but says she now feels as if she had stashed them in a shoebox at home for them to be stolen and showed to the principal.
Court documents reveal that officials warned teachers about 'unacceptable online activities'. They claimed her page 'promoted alcohol use' and 'contained profanity'.
She now wants to clear her name and claim back her job.
She added: 'I just want to be back in the classroom, if not that classroom, a classroom. I want to get back doing what I went to school for, my passion in life.'
An Alpharetta woman faces charges after police said she left two young children home alone while she went shopping. According to an arrest report obtained ... Full story
- 3 charged in Gwinnett teen Paul Sampleton's killing over high-end shoes
- Duluth High School student Sam McNair, suspended for a year for teacher hug
- Police: Boy Left in Car, Mom Mellisa Thornton Not at Fault
- Georgia's Most Dangerous Cities
- Pregnant woman Katerin Metina killed in Duluth car accident
- Police seek leads in fatal shooting of teen Vanessa "Honey" Malone
- Megachurch pastor bishop eddie long denies sexual relationships but admits: 'I told them to call me Daddy'
- Shooting Expert William Abbate Faces Molestation Charges
- Clayton County high school senior Keandre Varner suspended after posting principal's mugshot on Instagram
- Kennesaw pastor John Pinkston facing child molestation charges
- Police arrest 26-year-old Kerrianne Johnson for child molestation
- Rapper OG Double D killed in shooting on I-20
- Georgia man Cliff Kluge claims to have Coca-Cola recipe
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Sex abuse allegations against former pastor Bill Wininger prompts church school meeting
- Assistant principal Genghis Shakhan accused of 'excessive force'
- Atlanta man Michael Oneal charged in double slaying
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room
- Police arrest suspect Andrae Dinkins in slaying outside billiards hall
- Atlanta Man Eric Brown accused of molesting teen at church caught in NC
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- Fulton assistant principal Paul Cook arrested for bringing gun to school
- Dunwoody police arrest Ronald Cox in child molestation case
- Georgia woman Stacey Schoeck pleads guilty in Valentine's Day slaying
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges
- Bond set for DFCS worker Ericka Thompson arrest for drug possession
- Ex-police officer Michael Bernard Wilson found guilty of molesting girl
- Ex-DeKalb principal Angela Jennings in indictment turns herself in
- Off-Duty Atlanta Police Officer Michael Awe Found Dead
- Ebony Daniel, Charlie Martin arrested after baby allegedly ingests cocaine
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida
- Paulding County gym teacher Robert Cartwright accused of molesting student
- Former DeKalb principal Agnes Flanagan arraigned in cheating scandal
- Cobb teen Jenri Gomez accused of using Facebook to lure 13-year-old
- Megachurch pastor Wiley Jackson, brother indicted for alleged business scheme
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol
- Georgia man Raymond Wilson sentenced to life for molesting children
- Fayette assistant principal Darren Handley accused of stealing money
- 2 Year Old Hit, Killed in DeKalb County
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|