Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
With a pint of beer in one hand and a glass of wine in the other, the worst thing you could accuse Ashley Payne of is mixing her drink.
But this happy holiday picture has cost the high school teacher her job after a parent spotted it on Facebook - and complained.
The picture was taken while travelling around Europe in the summer of 2009.
'And you know, I'm confused as to why I am being asked this, but I said, "Yes", and he said, "Do you have any pictures of yourself up there with alcohol?"'
He then offered her an option: resign or be suspended.
She chose to resign.
Unacc-sip-table: Miss payne was told to resign or face suspension
School officials also took offence to the use of the B-word on the page.
Miss Payne is now in a bitter legal battle with the school to get her job back.
Fighter: Miss Payne talks to CBS News. She is now in a bitter legal battle with Apalachee High School, in Winder, Georgia to get her job back
Her lawyer, Richard Storrs, said: 'It would be like I went to a restaurant and I saw my daughter's teacher sitting there with her husband having a glass of some kind of liquid.
'You know, is that frowned upon by the school board? Is that illegal? Is that improper? Of course not. It's the same situation in this case.'
The English teacher later found out it was one anonymous emailer who shopped her to the school board after seeing the picture on the social networking site.
But she is baffled how a parent could gain access to her page when she has all her privacy settings on 'high', meaning only her closest friends have permission to see her pictures.
She admits putting the 'offensive' pictures on Facebook but says she now feels as if she had stashed them in a shoebox at home for them to be stolen and showed to the principal.
Court documents reveal that officials warned teachers about 'unacceptable online activities'. They claimed her page 'promoted alcohol use' and 'contained profanity'.
She now wants to clear her name and claim back her job.
She added: 'I just want to be back in the classroom, if not that classroom, a classroom. I want to get back doing what I went to school for, my passion in life.'
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Kristine Kirk, 44, is shot dead 'in front of kids by husband Richard Kirk who was hallucinating after eating a marijuana cookie' - and she had already been on phone to 911 for 13 MINUTES
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Feds 'working with' Georgia even as plans drop out of exchange
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- Chestnut sets new world record in hot dog eating contest
- Police seek help identifying people cashing forged checks
- College Board gives a sneak peak at redesigned SAT
- Georgia Grandparents Arrested for leaving Grandson at a Walmart
- Property tax appeal hearings suspended indefinitely
- Medicaid caution warranted, lawmakers said
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Milton Mother Shannon Lawrence Killed During Custody Exchange
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- Brother of slain man helps identify suspect Ladarius Hardy
- Situation clears some units Wood House Lane
- Police say Augusta man is person of interest in car break-ins
- Where are the parents? Toddler seen 'smoking marijuana' as 'adults are heard heard laughing' in SHOCKING video
- Man awarded $6K for helping police solve deadly crime
- Undocumented students rally for in-state tuition rates
- Alleged threat prompts more police at Auburn
- Douglas Co. High evacuated due to pepper spray
- Major League Soccer comes to Atlanta
- PHOTOS: Boy Scouts plea for return of stolen trailer
- Police arrest suspect acting suspiciously near Kate and William
- Tax-free weekend coming up soon for Alabama & Georgia
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Military Matters: "Hop to the Tanks" food drive for Battle Buddy Resource Center
- Columbus Burglaries: Few Responsible For Many
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- FBI offers $25,000 reward for help finding two suspects in NC kidnapping
- Girl, 16, found naked on the sidewalk after being kidnapped, robbed and pepper-sprayed
- WHINSEC celebrates newly renovated school
- Job fair gives offenders a second chance at life
- 6 indicted on charges in connection to 2011 murder of Steve Toms
- Reminder: CRCT testing is April 15-25
- Flight instructor Mitchell Casado featured in CNN's MH370 coverage fired from job for alleged tardiness and 'shaming Canadians' for dressing like a teenager
- Job fair gives offenders a second chance at life
- Revival on the River: Unity Night brings together community members, churches
- How did you get here? Mystery of the sea lion pup found in an orchard 100 MILES from the ocean
- Embrace the day: Preacher born without limbs spreads his anti-bullying message in Times Square with 10,000 Hugs tour
- Gynecologist Dr Paul Becton 'took naked photos of patients'
- Ten-year-old girl finds her puppy named Snoopy hanging dead from tree in random attack
- Two 'fetish' video models arrested for 'cutting off the heads of chickens and beating rabbits to death in animal-torture fetish porn videos'
- 'We stop, we regroup, we consider': Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott concedes the search for MH370 will soon have to stop
- Suspects connected to Steve Toms murder indicted on additional charges
- Voter registration deadline is April 21
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|