Pregnant Woman Daysha Brock Fatally Shot; Baby Dies After Delivery
LITHONIA, Ga. -- A pregnant woman was killed in a shooting that left her husband wounded, DeKalb County police said. They said doctors delivered the baby boy, but he died shortly after.
The shooting happened at the Retreat at Stonecrest apartments in Lithonia just after midnight Sunday. Relatives identified the victims as 21-year-old Daysha Brock and her 23-year-old husband, minister Chris Brock. They said the couple spent years trying to conceive and will never see their dream fulfilled.
"She was five months pregnant. They've been trying for three years. Three years," said LaChunna Bryant-Blake, Daysha Brock’s aunt.
Bryant-Blake said the couple and their 7-year-old goddaughter pulled up to the apartment’s security gates and noticed a silver car behind them. She said Chris Brock thought the men looked suspicious and didn't want them to get in when he went through.
"He was moving slow, so they couldn't come in behind him. He wanted them to follow the proper procedure," she said.
But the men got in anyway, police said. When Brock parked, he, his wife and their goddaughter began walking to their apartment and the men in the silver car suddenly showed up and started shooting, police said.
"He said, ‘Auntie, they didn't even have to pull out the guns. It was already cocked, and they just lit fire on us,’" Bryant-Blake said. "He said, 'I'm just screaming, "Why y’all shooting at us?" '"
The expectant mother was hit in the chest, police said. Her husband told Bryant-Blake he ran after the men and was hit in the arm. Daysha Brock died on the way to the hospital, and her baby didn’t make it either. Her husband is trying to understand why the shooting happened.
"He is relying on his faith to pull him through," Bryant-Blake said.
Bryant-Blake said the bullet shattered the minister’s arm and he may not be able regain use of it. The shooter and the men with him are still on the loose, police said. Anyone with information is asked to contact DeKalb County police.
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Move over selfies... it's time for the dronie: New trend for capturing you and your pals in wide angle aerial shots from a remote controlled camera
- College Board gives a sneak peak at redesigned SAT
- Kristine Kirk, 44, is shot dead 'in front of kids by husband Richard Kirk who was hallucinating after eating a marijuana cookie' - and she had already been on phone to 911 for 13 MINUTES
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- Medicaid caution warranted, lawmakers said
- Some South Carolina schools see drop in annual assessment
- Georgia Grandparents Arrested for leaving Grandson at a Walmart
- SC prison guard gave inmates key impressions
- Property tax appeal hearings suspended indefinitely
- Feds 'working with' Georgia even as plans drop out of exchange
- Heavy rain leaves one Aiken County yard inundated by water
- Police seek help identifying people cashing forged checks
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- Flood warning for north Georgia
- Stone Mountain Woman Leann Corley Fakes Pregnancy to Smuggle Pills
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- Milton Mother Shannon Lawrence Killed During Custody Exchange
- North Carolina girl, 3, loses part of both legs in lawn mower accident
- Hadley Boberg, 20, froze to death after she and a friend lost keys to their Jeep while hiking in Utah woods in frigid weather
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Ga. police department adds hybrids to its fleet
- Tragedy as 13-month-old toddler is shot dead in his stroller by teenage robber in front of mother
- Police say Augusta man is person of interest in car break-ins
- Salt intake falls 15%... and heart deaths fall 40% (but we still eat too much of it)
- Chestnut sets new world record in hot dog eating contest
- Seattle sewage plant offers FLUSHING brides a $2,000 weddings deal
- Lowe's Home Improvement Store to bring 600 jobs to northwest Georgia
- Ga. governor strikes cautious note on solar energy
- State Farm holding career fair August 6, 7
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- Popularity of IPA Day signals rise of American craft beers
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- National Geographic reveals 50 tours of a lifetime (and Scotland is the only entry for UK)
- Region that shaped Tsarnaev more volatile
- Dammion Heard's parents dispute findings that their star wrestler son, 20, killed himself as it's revealed the college student got into a fight the night he went missing
- LIFE IN PRISON: Ariel Castro: "I'm not a monster, I'm sick"
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Stock shares of Aflac, Synovus and TSYS ride higher on Wall Street once again
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Situation clears some units Wood House Lane
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|