Milton Mother Shannon Lawrence Killed During Custody Exchange
MILTON, Ga. -- A 25-year-old Cumming man shot and killed the mother of his two children during a child custody exchange Sunday, according to Milton police.
Christopher Erdman was charged with murder and is being held at the Fulton County Jail.
Erdman and-25 year old Shannon Lawrence met around 2 p.m. in the back parking lot of a Wells Fargo Bank on Birmingham Highway for the exchange, Milton Police Captain Shane McCarty said. A man in a church nearby heard several gunshots and called police.
When officers arrived, they said, they found an abandoned car, four shell casings on the pavement, and a pool of blood. As they began to trace the owner of the car, Northside Hospital Forsyth called, saying Erdman had pulled up to their Cumming location with Lawrence in the back of his pickup truck, McCarty said.
Police aren't saying exactly where the children were but McCarty told GA Daily News Reporter Tony Thomas that “indications now is that (the shooting) was in front of the children."
Police said they have not recovered the murder weapon as of Sunday night. A few miles from the murder scene, Lawrence’s mother, Diana Macksey, stood in the front of her Canton home holding a picture of her daughter.
"Shannon was the most beautiful kind loving soul," she told Thomas. "This is just all surreal. I can't believe right now that this is really happening."
Macksey said Lawrence had a protective order against Erdman and the child custody exchanges were supposed to be supervised. She told Thomas that Lawrence and Erdman were supposed to meet at a nearby Publix grocery store parking lot Sunday, but at the last minute, Erdman changed the location to the more secluded bank.
"No mother should have to go through this," Macksey said.
The family said Lawrence and Erdman never married but had a 3-year-old and 1-year-old son. Macksey said her new focus is to be reunited with the children.
"I just want them home safe, where they can be in the beds, and I know they are being fed and taken care of," she said.
Police aren't saying where the children are but said, "They are safe and accounted for." Macksey said her daughter and the two children were living with her in Canton. Lawrence was attending Kennessaw State University where she planned to enter the Nursing program. For now, Macksey said she tries to remember the good times, not the last few hours this weekend.
"We had a family wedding last weekend, and it was just a wonderful time. Those are the memories I'm going to keep with me. I just can't think about the rest," she said.
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- Bottle of wine a day 'is not bad for you': Leading scientist also claim those who exceed recommended does could live longer than teetotallers
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Dammion Heard's parents dispute findings that their star wrestler son, 20, killed himself as it's revealed the college student got into a fight the night he went missing
- Two teens and man who stopped to help them killed in Miami car crash
- Easter Egg Hunts all over the CSRA!
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- North Carolina girl, 3, loses part of both legs in lawn mower accident
- The Duchess wears an L.K. Bennett dress as she and Wills leave Sydney
- Is THIS the SR-72 spy plane? Mystery aircraft spotted flying over Kansas just weeks after being seen in Texas
- Verdicts handed down in Jonesboro day care death
- Tomlinson discusses Columbus' growth as Georgia's second largest city
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Kimchi Truong, 24, dies from overdose after collapsing at Coachella
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- Prototype Pontiac Firebirds found in Connecticut garage
- Bandits break into Inman Park maintenance shop
- Family appreciates 'Prayers for Lily'
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- Offers pouring in for Turner Field property
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Feds 'working with' Georgia even as plans drop out of exchange
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Police investigate homicide in SW Atlanta
- High school senior forms petition against Michele Obama
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Property tax appeal hearings suspended indefinitely
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- National Geographic reveals 50 tours of a lifetime (and Scotland is the only entry for UK)
- Undocumented students rally for in-state tuition rates
- Chestnut sets new world record in hot dog eating contest
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Bibb county deputy arrested
- Car thief is forced to pull over and release an infant and a pair of seven year old twin boys after they beat the driver with a toy snake until he let them go
- Georgia Grandparents Arrested for leaving Grandson at a Walmart
- Prince William enjoys a beer alongside Kate Middleton at rugby game
- Medicaid caution warranted, lawmakers said
- Seattle sewage plant offers FLUSHING brides a $2,000 weddings deal
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|