Muslim weightlifter Kulsoom Abdullah fights rules that won't let her compete in hijab
It takes a strong woman to take on a male-dominated sport.
It takes an even stronger woman to not only take on the sport but change their age-old rules and possibly alter the face of competitive sports.
Kulsoom Abdullah wasn't always this strong, but in a bid to change that she took up weightlifting a couple of years ago.
Banned: Weightlifter Kulsoom Abdullah has been declared ineligible to compete in national weightlifting competitions because of her Islamic dress
She quickly grew to love the male-dominated sport, entering local competitions and even allowing herself to dream of one day making it to the Olympics.
She said: 'It was just something for fun. It gave me something to achieve as a goal.'
The 35-year-old, from Atlanta, then got herself a trainer and started working out five or six times a week, setting her sights on competing.
She said: 'I just kept working out. I have the endurance and the strength to compete.'
And so, wanting to see how far her passion could take her, she thought she would professionally compete, but didn't think this would mean compromising her religious beliefs in the meantime.
Yet Ms Abdullah - who was born in the U.S. to Pakistani parents - has been barred from entering the U.S. senior nationals in Iowa next month.
The problem? Her Muslim faith requires that she cover her arms, legs and head which violates international rules governing weightlifting attire.
Strong woman: The 35-year-old was born in the U.S. to Pakistani parents and took up weightlifting a few years ago because it was something 'fun to do'
Talking about the restrictions she said: 'I'd hate to think that just because you dress a certain way, you can't participate in sports.
'I don't want other women who dress like me to say, "I can't get involved in that sport" and get discouraged. It would be nice to have an environment where it wouldn't be an issue of how you dress or having different beliefs and faiths.'
Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, which has taken up Abdullah's cause, said: 'What we hear all the time is, "You've got to empower Muslim women around the world".
'Well, how can you empower a Muslim woman more than being a weightlifter? She should be encouraged and helped along in this process. There shouldn't be arbitrary roadblocks placed in her path.'
CAIR Executive Director Nihad Awad wrote in a letter to USOC Chief Executive Officer Scott Blackmun: 'No athlete should be forced to choose between faith and sport. Muslim women seek to participate in all aspects of American society, including sporting activities, and should not face artificial and arbitrary barriers to that participation.'
According to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, CAIR cites the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act, which it says requires that USA Weightlifting not discriminate based on 'race, colour, religion, sex, age, or national origin'.
The group says Ms Abdullah must be given ‘fair notice and opportunity for a hearing' before declaring her ineligible to compete based on her dress.
On Thursday, USA Weightlifting agreed to take her case to the IWF later this month.
This, of course, is a bigger issue than any one sport, any single athlete and is not the first time Islamic women athletes have been declared ineligible to compete because of their dress.
Just last week, Iran's women's soccer team was disqualified during an Olympic qualifying competition against Jordan after athletes wore a full-body outfit with a head scarf. As a result, the soccer team will not be allowed to compete in London.
Sports officials have argued that different dress can give athletes a competitive edge.
But Ms Abdullah said she simply wants to abide by her beliefs when she's snatching a bar full of weights above her head.
When first starting out, she was allowed to enter local meets wearing garb that made her comfortable on the inside and out: Loose-fitting exercise pants, a tight-fitting long-sleeve shirt with a T-shirt over it, and the head scarf.
As she attempted to move up to higher-level competitions, she ran up against International Weightlifting Federation rules, which forbid suits that cover either the knees or elbows because judges must be able to see that both have been locked out to complete a lift.
If the IWF agrees to alter its rules, she might still get a chance to do some snatches and clean-and-jerks at next month's national meet.
While she's not yet lifting at an Olympic level, she hasn't given up on that dream.
Mr Hooper said: 'She's not seeking any kind of advantage. She's seeking to maintain her religious principles. In an atmosphere of goodwill, these things can always be resolved.'
Gadeir Abbas, an attorney for the Islamic council, said U.S. Olympic officials could be an advocate for more tolerance when it comes to attire for Islamic women athletes.
She told the Journal: 'The idea of the Olympics is that competitors from all across the world can get together and compete. Instituting regulations that exclude women of the Islamic world seems to be the antithesis of what the Olympics is all about.'
Ms Abdullah added: 'I've just been taking it one step at a time. It'll change in rules definitely help others if there are other women of faith who want to get in the sport.'
- Prison intern Kayla Danielle Davis charged with sexual assault
- Mountain biker rockets down ski slope at 135 mph
- Florida man's smartphone takes a bullet for him
- Lady Gaga 'dumped' by boyfriend as he can't handle her alter-egos
- Barack Obama: The face of Viagra in Pakistan
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
- Is this the most sexist TV program in history? Chat show where women strip off as two men critique their naked bodies
- Sailor from Oregon Jonathon Gibson killed in Red Sea helicopter crash
- Stern family plane crash: Three killed after homemade plane crashes into nature preserve
- Nike’s Sexist “Gold Digging” Shirt Under Fire
- Christopher P. Dona named as Army Ranger killed in parachute mishap
- Family of I-85 hit and run victim speaks out
- Morehouse men use spring break to mentor students
- Cold case unsolved 5 years later
- 'Mars Needs Moms' review: A charming, subversive, minor addition to CGI family film club
- Meet Colonel Meow, the world's hairiest cat
- Buyers of Dell's new Latitude 6430u Ultrabook complain it smells of cat urine
- Caught on camera: Armed robbers nab prescription drugs
- Dylan Murray: The next big thing in racing?
- Tech Check: Smartphone memory hogs
- Paulding County gym teacher Robert Cartwright accused of molesting student
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- New episodes of Family Guy and American Dad pulled
- Police arrest 26-year-old Kerrianne Johnson for child molestation
- Pervert Pastor James Harris Found Guilty of Sex Acts swallowed mints, not pills, test shows
- Marietta man, 34, convicted of molesting teenage girl
- Missing Malaysia flight: Probe into why FIVE passengers checked in but never boarded as searchers say they have found no wreckage, no signals and no clues
- Megyn Kelly Pregnant: Fox News anchor, 42, announces third pregnancy live on air
- Mayim Bialik, Husband Michael Stone Finalize Divorce
- 1,000 mph car with Bloodhound rocket fired for first time (video)
- Antonio McDyess Buzzer Beater: Spurs Beat Lakers With Last-Second Tip-In (VIDEO)
- Crack-smoking mayor knocks down councillor in stormy debate
- Britney's Spears suffers from scaly feet
- Man (or Superman?) survives being hit by train traveling 110 mph
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Westgate mall survivor Sneha Kothari Mashru tells 'I used dead teen's blood to fool terrorists'
- Tennessee man and his current wife arrested in ex-wife's slaying in Germantown
- Lena Dunham strips off and Jimmy Kimmel gets punched in the face in hilarious Emmys opening skit
- Funny Wi-Fi network names that will alienate and amuse your neighbors
- Louisa Ball: Real-life Sleeping Beauty who sleeps for two weeks at a time
- Southwest High School Plans to Raise Graduation Rate
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- RSS Syndication
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- Veteran skydiver Sean Carey plummets to death during competition
- Medicaid caution warranted, lawmakers said
- Kennesaw pastor John Pinkston facing child molestation charges
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|