Atlanta Man Dennis Allaben on trial in wife's death
The murder trial against Dennis Allaben began this week with none of the most bizarre aspects of the case in dispute.
On Jan. 3, 2010, Allaben strangled his wife, Maureen, the effervescent set decorator of "The Mo'Nique Show" on BET, in their bedroom and then took one of the strangest interstate road trips ever.
After killing his wife, Allaben wrapped her body in quilted padding, weighted it down in the back of his Ford pickup and drove the couple's 7- and 8-year-old son and daughter more than 500 miles to Chesterfield, Va.
He dropped his kids off at his brother's house so they would not be taken into state custody, and then drove back to Georgia, still with his wife's corpse in tow. He finally stopped at a friend’s house in Jonesboro and then surrendered to a police officer who lived three houses away.
The question posed Tuesday to a DeKalb County jury was whether Maureen Allaben's killing was a premeditated, malice murder.
If the jury believes so, DeKalb prosecutors have said they will ask Superior Court Judge Linda W. Hunter to sentence Allaben to life in prison without parole.
Allaben's attorney, Stephen Frey, doesn't deny that Allaben killed his wife. However, he wants to show jurors that it was the act of someone who came unhinged.
Allaben, who ran a company that tested underground tanks, sat at the defense table Tuesday appearing gaunt, having lost a considerable amount of weight since his arrest 18 months ago. Family members sat behind him in the courtroom.
In opening statements, DeKalb prosecutor Patricia Jackson told the jury of 10 men and two women the case was about "power, control and jealousy."
At the time, she said, 47-year-0ld Dennis Allaben was losing control of his wife and wanted none of it.
Maureen Allaben, 43, was a well-known food stylist in the metro area. She prepared food for display in advertising photos and commercials, calling herself "the Mistress of Deception."
She was also a rising star in the television industry, having just received a big promotion on "The Mo'Nique Show" that would give her the financial independence to be free of her husband's control, Jackson said.
"But he wanted control of a woman to do what he wanted, when he wanted her to do it, with no back talk," the prosecutor said. "He came up with a plan to stop her dead in her tracks."
After Dennis Allaben strangled his wife, Jackson said, he roused his children and told them, "You're going to come with me on a road trip. I killed your mother."
Frey said at the time of the killing, his client was a tortured soul, on the brink of losing it. Some of Allaben's thoughts at the time, Frey told jurors, "will seem unreal, shocking, unbelievable."
While Frey did not disclose what those thoughts were to the jury, court documents show that Allaben told police he suspected his wife was trying to poison or drug him and was stalking him through GPS and computer monitoring, claims that have not been substantiated.
Frey also told jurors that the defense will not attack Maureen Allaben's character or indicate in any way "she had it coming."
Without specifying what verdict he was seeking, Frey indicated he may ask the jury to convict his client of manslaughter, a killing that is the result of a sudden and irresistible passion and carries a penalty of up to 20 years in prison.
Allaben, Frey said, was a man "who wanted some answers and found himself in a situation where consequences -- unintended consequences, unforeseen consequences -- did come to bear."
"What happened to Maureen was tragic and wrong," Frey said, "but it's not murder."
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- Two teens and man who stopped to help them killed in Miami car crash
- Dammion Heard's parents dispute findings that their star wrestler son, 20, killed himself as it's revealed the college student got into a fight the night he went missing
- School board addresses cursive writing concerns
- One dead in Lilburn motorcycle accident
- Gynecologist Dr Paul Becton 'took naked photos of patients'
- Kristine Kirk, 44, is shot dead 'in front of kids by husband Richard Kirk who was hallucinating after eating a marijuana cookie' - and she had already been on phone to 911 for 13 MINUTES
- Duchess of Cambridge keeps her cool in white dress by Australian designer for visit to Sydney's Royal Easter Show with William
- North Carolina girl, 3, loses part of both legs in lawn mower accident
- Witness: Goose on the loose with arrow through head
- High school vice principal rescued from South Korean ferry found hanging from tree in front of victims' families after his students die
- Judge John McBain lashes out at convicted killer Camia Gamet after she snickers and asks 'is that it?' as victim's aunt recounts murder
- Move over selfies... it's time for the dronie: New trend for capturing you and your pals in wide angle aerial shots from a remote controlled camera
- Baby gorilla dies unexpectedly at Milwaukee zoo just one month after birth
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- National Geographic reveals 50 tours of a lifetime (and Scotland is the only entry for UK)
- Mayor Reed speaks out against Water Management raises
- Albino kangaroo gives birth to dark joey at German zoo
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Salt intake falls 15%... and heart deaths fall 40% (but we still eat too much of it)
- Family of Dawsonville child makes plea for kidney match
- Seattle sewage plant offers FLUSHING brides a $2,000 weddings deal
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- Police: Locker-room thief spent $4,000 on stolen credit cards
- 'Hostage scammers' steal hundreds from Atlanta residents
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Atlanta Watershed Dept. under review after "hefty raises"
- DeKalb crews working on water main break
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Offers pouring in for Turner Field property
- Newton High School basketball coach James Carter accused of sexting student
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- Region that shaped Tsarnaev more volatile
- Preying to stay alive: Centipede tries to eat its way to sanctuary - out of a snake's stomach!
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Bodies of teen girl on Spring break and her 33-year-old aunt pulled from Lake Erie after they went missing with two men on fishing trip
- More than $1M in fake soccer gear seized in Ga.
- Hawkinsville Man Birago Blackshear Accused of Killing Ex-Girlfriend Ashton Bartlett
- Columbus Animal Control loses family dog, later finds him dead in nearby creek
- College Board gives a sneak peak at redesigned SAT
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- Lowe's Home Improvement Store to bring 600 jobs to northwest Georgia
- Man acquitted of 2011 Carousel Lounge shooting
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|