Twelve-year-old girl Jessica Maple solves crime police couldn't… and then confronts burglars herself
Police detectives have been left red-faced after a 12-year-old solved a burglary case they could not after she found clues officers had missed.
Amateur sleuth Jessica Maple confronted the alleged burglars after she took it upon herself to investigate a break in at her late great-grandmother's house in Atlanta.
The aspiring detective said she wanted to use investigative skills she had learned on a Junior District Attorney camp this summer.
Scroll down for video
Junior detective: Jessica Maple, 12, took it upon herself to investigate a break in at her late great-grandmother's house in Atlanta
Miss Maple showed she was more like Miss Marple after she asked her mother to take her to the house to see if she could find any clues.
Police had said that whoever robbed the house must have had a key as there were no signs of forced entry, but the curious 12-year-old found otherwise.
'I went to the side of the house and looked at the garage,' she told ABC News.
'The windows were broken. There were finger prints by the glass. Everything was ramshackled. There were clothes everywhere.'
Ransacked: Jessica Maple went to the burgled home to search for clues
Family: The home had been owned by Jessica's late great-grandmother
After finding crucial clues the police had missed, the girl visited a pawn shop down the road and found her great-grandmother's furniture on sale.
'They weren't thinking,' she said of the thieves. 'They put everything in the same shop.'
The manager of the shop gave the girl both men's picture identifications and she called the investigating officer to tell him she had solved the crime.
'He was like "You beat me to this stuff" and I was like, "I did your job again",' she said.
In an audacious move, the girl then went to one of the burglar's homes to confront him accompanied by her mother.
Training: Jessica Maple met TV host and former prosecutor Nancy Grace at the Junior District Attorney camp this summer in Atlanta
'We went up to him and I asked him why he did it,' Jessica said. 'At first he denied it, but then he confessed.'
Despite the evidence, no arrests have yet been made by police.
'They have all the evidence,' Jessica said. 'I have no idea what is taking so long.'
Watch the video
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Sophisticated meth lab found in million dollar lakeside home
- 'Our father and brothers are culprits in this tragedy': Saudi princesses who say they are kept locked in palace without food or water make contact with the outside world
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Former cop shoots dead his wife in front of their two young children
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Incredible images capture the Ethiopian Suri tribe whose girls have lip plates implanted at puberty as a sign of beauty
- Chew dirty rat! Filthy rodent stole grandmother's false teeth and hid them behind the fridge... before her pet Jack Russell caught and killed it
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Verdicts handed down in Jonesboro day care death
- Offers pouring in for Turner Field property
- Police investigate homicide in SW Atlanta
- Experts carry out DNA tests on bones thought to belong to monarchs from 1,000 years ago including King Canute
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Bandits break into Inman Park maintenance shop
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Family appreciates 'Prayers for Lily'
- The Queen photograph by David Bailey marks her 88th birthday
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Medicaid caution warranted, lawmakers said
- Move over selfies... it's time for the dronie: New trend for capturing you and your pals in wide angle aerial shots from a remote controlled camera
- Police say Augusta man is person of interest in car break-ins
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Tragedy as 13-month-old toddler is shot dead in his stroller by teenage robber in front of mother
- Some South Carolina schools see drop in annual assessment
- Former Fortune 500 exec Robert Dellinger charged with murder
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Lowe's Home Improvement Store to bring 600 jobs to northwest Georgia
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- Police seek help identifying people cashing forged checks
- Flood warning for north Georgia
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida
- Georgia Grandparents Arrested for leaving Grandson at a Walmart
- Heavy rain leaves one Aiken County yard inundated by water
- Train commuters run, jump and swing on pole in ‘worst rush hour service ever’
- Hobie Alter honored with traditional Hawaiian paddle-out
- Man, 24, pays the $974 remainder of his student loans in 500 POUNDS of pennies
- Stone Mountain Woman Leann Corley Fakes Pregnancy to Smuggle Pills
- Arion1 Velocipede capsule is a BICYCLE and could be the fastest in history
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- Tax-free weekend coming up soon for Alabama & Georgia
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|