Cops: Freed woman Gabrielle Begay burglarizes cars in jail parking lot
DOUGLAS COUNTY, Ga. -- A woman who had just been released from the Douglas County jail is accused of breaking into cars in the jail parking lot and at a restaurant across the street, officials said.
Deputies originally arrested 21-year old Gabrielle Begay over the weekend on fighting charges. She was released after posting a $1,500 bond.
Then deputies said witnesses reported Begay walked directly across the street from the jail and started breaking into cars in the Hudson's Hickory House restaurant parking lot.
Restaurant employee Tony Mirabelli said he spotted a woman looking inside his yellow Kia Sportage and rushed to stop her from removing items.
"She turned around, opened the car door, took an envelope that was right here on my dash," Mirabelli told Channel 2's Richard Elliot.
"I simply took the envelope out of her hand," said Mirabelli. "I got in my car and went across the street to the sheriff's office and made a report of it."
Deputies said Mirabelli told them he saw the woman headed into the jail parking lot. Deputies said they found Begay breaking into cars there.
"The deputies went directly outside and took her into custody," said Douglas County Chief Deputy Stan Copeland. "We would like people to try and stay out of jail if possible but especially within 30-minutes of their release. We expect you can stay straight for at least that long."
"Blew my mind," said Mirabelli when he learned that Begay had been released from jail just minutes before he said he caught her breaking into his car. "I can't believe someone would literally walk out of jail, come across the street and go right back in again."
A judge set bond for Begay at $14,000. She remains in the Douglas County Jail.
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- Bottle of wine a day 'is not bad for you': Leading scientist also claim those who exceed recommended does could live longer than teetotallers
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Dammion Heard's parents dispute findings that their star wrestler son, 20, killed himself as it's revealed the college student got into a fight the night he went missing
- Hobie Alter honored with traditional Hawaiian paddle-out
- Two teens and man who stopped to help them killed in Miami car crash
- Easter Egg Hunts all over the CSRA!
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- North Carolina girl, 3, loses part of both legs in lawn mower accident
- The Duchess wears an L.K. Bennett dress as she and Wills leave Sydney
- Verdicts handed down in Jonesboro day care death
- Is THIS the SR-72 spy plane? Mystery aircraft spotted flying over Kansas just weeks after being seen in Texas
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Tomlinson discusses Columbus' growth as Georgia's second largest city
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Kimchi Truong, 24, dies from overdose after collapsing at Coachella
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Prototype Pontiac Firebirds found in Connecticut garage
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Newton High School basketball coach James Carter accused of sexting student
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- Prince William enjoys a beer alongside Kate Middleton at rugby game
- Family appreciates 'Prayers for Lily'
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- Bandits break into Inman Park maintenance shop
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- Property tax appeal hearings suspended indefinitely
- Feds 'working with' Georgia even as plans drop out of exchange
- Offers pouring in for Turner Field property
- High school senior forms petition against Michele Obama
- Undocumented students rally for in-state tuition rates
- Chestnut sets new world record in hot dog eating contest
- Police investigate homicide in SW Atlanta
- Woman shot during robbery in Glennville
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- Georgia Grandparents Arrested for leaving Grandson at a Walmart
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- National Geographic reveals 50 tours of a lifetime (and Scotland is the only entry for UK)
- Car thief is forced to pull over and release an infant and a pair of seven year old twin boys after they beat the driver with a toy snake until he let them go
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|