Groups deliver petitions for Troy Davis
ATLANTA -- Supporters of a high-profile death row inmate plan candlelight vigils and a march tonight to pressure the Georgia pardons board to grant him clemency.
Advocacy groups delivered boxes full of petitions to the board Thursday signed by more than 666,000 in support of Davis. He is set to be executed next week for the 1989 murder of an off-duty Savannah police officer, Mark MacPhail, in 1989.
Davis' attorneys say he is innocent of the charges. They say several witnesses have changed their testimony and others have accused another man of the crime.
His execution has been delayed three times since 2007 to allow courts more time to review his arguments. Each time judges have upheld his conviction and death sentence.
Marching army: Thousands gathered in Atlanta, Georgia, to protest the pending execution on Wednesday of Troy Davis, who they say was wrongly convicted of killing a Savannah police officer in 1989
ATLANTA - It was a brazen and bold attack that left a woman scarred for life. Rachel Brokaw, 29, is now recovering from deep ... Full story
- Thief Leaves 'Thank You' Note At Athens Home
- Pain Clinic Raided, Doctor James Chapman Charged With Conspiracy
- Michael Parson: Man who shot wife 8 times gets 35-year sentence
- Armed Man Robs Henry County Subway Restaurant
- Boyfriend Rodrick Armbrester admits killing woman, unborn child in jealous rage
- Court in Georgia orders Christopher Kelley to pay $55k to his ex- after breaking off engagement
- Samurai sword stabbing suspect Gevin Prince pleads guilty
- Assistant principal Genghis Shakhan accused of 'excessive force'
- Fan Who Died in Stadium Fall Was 29-Year-Old Ronald Lee Homer Jr.
- Fulton County Couple beaten, burned in home invasion
- Geordie Shore's Sophie axed from show in race row
- Atlanta woman Victoria Rickman accused of shooting her lover 10 times
- Ex-Employee Merideth Durrah Admits Stealing $15K From Ga. Tech
- Cheerleading coach and Principal's Wife Gina Sabin had oral sex with boy younger than 16
- 6 charged with killing Norcross teen Nicholas Jackson
- Tire blowout suspected in crash that killed 12-year-old Devin Pierce in Douglasville
- Twelve-year-old girl Jessica Maple solves crime police couldn't… and then confronts burglars herself
- Milton Mother Shannon Lawrence Killed During Custody Exchange
- Two men arrested in Gwinnett County bank robbery
- Canton Man Joshua Todd Daniels Faces Child Molestation Charges
- Sandy Springs doctor Kelly Thrasher charged with child molestation
- Police arrest suspect Andrae Dinkins in slaying outside billiards hall
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- Georgia man Rodney Smith Jr. held in stabbing death of girlfriend, father
- Paulding County gym teacher Robert Cartwright accused of molesting student
- Police arrest 26-year-old Kerrianne Johnson for child molestation
- Customs Agent Devon Samuels Charged With Drug Trafficking
- Dunwoody police arrest Ronald Cox in child molestation case
- Georgia woman Jamie Bentley charged with starving newborn baby
- Former Ga. probation officer Russell Holt indicted in slaying
- New indictment for former DeKalb Superintendent Crawford Lewis
- MARTA Train Hits, Kills Passenger in Atlanta
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Former DeKalb Teacher Casey Thomas Faces Molestation Charges
- 2 Bulgarians Nikolay Nikolov, 23, and Yordan Kavaklov, 29 Indicted in ATM Skimming Operation
- Noise Complaint in Kennesaw Leads To 32 Arrests
- Georgia's Most Dangerous Cities
- Clayton County high school senior Keandre Varner suspended after posting principal's mugshot on Instagram
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|