Cobb man Joshua Drucker guilty of murder, faces death penalty
COBB COUNTY, Ga. — A Cobb County jury took just 30 minutes to find a man guilty of four counts of murder on Monday.
Joshua Drucker, 33, could face the death penalty for killing Andrew Robertson and Lora Nikolova in April 2004. Lawyers for both sides did not dispute that Drucker pulled the trigger, but prosecutors painted Drucker as a cold-blooded, drug-addicted killer while the defense team told jurors the killings were an accident and possibly a crime of passion.
“We know that there is a killer among us. He sits right here,” Cobb County Assistant District Attorney Ann Harris said in closing arguments.
Drucker’s attorneys said he was settling a score with Robertson because he supplied drugs to Drucker’s younger sister. Drucker’s sister, Amanda, overdosed on those drugs and suffered brain damage that left her confined to a wheelchair.
“This was not a sudden irresistible passion about Amanda. This was just an angry young man. He’s angry at anyone who crosses him. He’s angry at anyone who doesn’t agree with him,” said Harris.
“He has been agitated. He has been provoked. He has been whipped up about what has happened to his sister,” said defense attorney Joseph Vigneri.
Following closing arguments, Drucker begged Cobb County Judge Robert Flournoy for a mistrial because his lawyers did not call witnesses he believed could sway the case. Drucker claimed the prosecution also intimidated witnesses. Flournoy denied his request.
Drucker’s lawyers pushed for a voluntary manslaughter verdict, which carries a maximum sentence of 20 years if convicted, but prosecutors have asked the jury to decide on a punishment of death, or a life sentence.
The jury will be asked to determine Drucker’s sentence on Tuesday.
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- A pesky red fox is now a permanent resident of the White House lawn after settling in during government groundskeeper's furlough last fall
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- Husband and wife, both police officers in Chicago, dead in apparent murder-suicide
- BREAKING NEWS: 16-year-old boy survives UNHARMED after flying from California to Hawaii in the wheel-well
- Police say Augusta man is person of interest in car break-ins
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Undocumented students rally for in-state tuition rates
- 2 shot during party at Wade-Walker Park
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- Authorities investigate Riverdale apartment shooting
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Verdicts handed down in Jonesboro day care death
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Family appreciates 'Prayers for Lily'
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Newton High School basketball coach James Carter accused of sexting student
- Tragedy as 13-month-old toddler is shot dead in his stroller by teenage robber in front of mother
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Police investigate homicide in SW Atlanta
- American parents heartbroken as Congolese government refuses to hand over orphans they adopted a year ago
- Discovery of long-lost World War II dog tags may solve the 70-year-old mystery of a soldier's death
- The New York disaster that never happened: How one phone call from an architecture STUDENT saved the 915ft Citigroup skyscraper from crashing onto Manhattan during a hurricane
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Gregory Favors Identified as State Trooper Shooting Suspect
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- Tax-free weekend coming up soon for Alabama & Georgia
- Situation clears some units Wood House Lane
- 'I will be back!': Jim Kelly says he's bouncing back from cancer in thank you message to fans
- Captain America beats up the competition at the box office for third straight weekend while Johnny Depp disappoints again
- Kevin Sharp dies at 43 due to surgery complications
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida
- Columbus police make shoplifting arrests at Peachtree Mall
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- Police seek help identifying people cashing forged checks
- Feds 'working with' Georgia even as plans drop out of exchange
- Bandits break into Inman Park maintenance shop
- Human skeleton found inside pickup truck in Texas lake solves Helen Holladay case
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered
- Uptown Columbus turns blue for Light Up Columbus Glow Run benefiting Autism
- Father speeds his newborn baby to the hospital with one hand cradling the infant and the on the wheel after roadside delivery
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|