22-year-old Chasity Jones charged in crash that killed cop
An Atlanta police officer was killed in the line of duty Tuesday night. The 15-year veteran was helping another officer when she was struck on Interstate 75.
“As you can imagine, there's a lot of very raw nerves and emotions, and we just encourage our officers to depend on each other to seek out help," Atlanta Police Chief George Turner said in a news conference early the next morning.
He asked Channel 2 to withhold the victim’s name because all of her family members have not been notified. She was just beginning her shift around 11 p.m. when she joined a crash investigation in the southbound lanes of I-75 near Northside Drive. The crash was in the far left lanes and another officer needed her help steering drivers away from the scene.
Atlanta police officer Gail Thomas, a 15-year veteran with the APD, was killed Tuesday, January 24, while assisting another officer during a traffic accident. Chasity Jones, 22, of Stone Mountain has been charged in connection with her …
“As the officer arrived on scene and began to exit the vehicle, that officer was struck by a car and was fatally injured,” Turner said.
Investigators believe the driver, 22-year-old Stone Mountain resident Chasity Jones, had been drinking. She was charged with driving under the influence and first-degree vehicular homicide. She is being held at the Fulton County Jail.
The interstate was shut down for more than three hours while police investigated.
Turner said officers will need support to cope with the tragedy. He said chaplains and counselors with the department's employee assistance program will be on hand.
"We're just asking for the prayers and concerns of our community while we get through this,” Turner said.
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- Former cop shoots dead his wife in front of their two young children
- 30th annual Easter egg hunt at Georgia state fairgrounds
- UFC champion hosts motorcycle charity event in Chattahoochee Valley to benefit wounded soldiers
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Uptown Columbus turns blue for Light Up Columbus Glow Run benefiting Autism
- Man, 24, pays the $974 remainder of his student loans in 500 POUNDS of pennies
- Putin's' secret army. . . hellbent on war
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- Undocumented students rally for in-state tuition rates
- Chestnut sets new world record in hot dog eating contest
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- Police say Augusta man is person of interest in car break-ins
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Michigan mother Chelsea Traxler and her unborn child killed in car accident
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- 'My real life super hero!' Mother films her five-year-old daughter RUNNING after doctors said she may never walk
- Get ready for the 'Solar Vortex': New Yorkers bracing for oppressively hot and humid summer after brutal winter
- 'Our father and brothers are culprits in this tragedy': Saudi princesses who say they are kept locked in palace without food or water make contact with the outside world
- Sophisticated meth lab found in million dollar lakeside home
- Forsyth County Man Larry Martin Arrested in Death of Son-in-Law
- Gregory Favors Identified as State Trooper Shooting Suspect
- Georgia Grandparents Arrested for leaving Grandson at a Walmart
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- Feds 'working with' Georgia even as plans drop out of exchange
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Crews search for submerged car in Lilburn
- Peaches Geldof's funeral to take place at same church as her mother's on Easter Monday - and her ashes may be scattered at family home where she grew up
- Experts carry out DNA tests on bones thought to belong to monarchs from 1,000 years ago including King Canute
- Cobb County couple Ryan Lombardo and Jessica Lombardo killed in single-vehicle wreck
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Brandon Philpot arrested in recording studio slaying
- Cherokee County man Jason Cole accused of neglecting son during drug binge
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Police: Slain Clayton mom Korean Bowden missing both ears
- Hawkinsville Man Birago Blackshear Accused of Killing Ex-Girlfriend Ashton Bartlett
- Trial in slaying of Clayton teacher Kinaya Schenese Byrd to begin Monday
- Jeremiah Warthen: Suspect accused of striking, killing toddler, grandmother denied bond
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Atlanta teacher tells of MT lightning rescue
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- Property tax appeal hearings suspended indefinitely
- Tax-free weekend coming up soon for Alabama & Georgia
- Situation clears some units Wood House Lane
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|