Crawford Mother Johnette Nation Pretends Son Has Incurable Disease
Family members say that the mother of a 7-year-old Oglethorpe County boy falsely claimed he had an incurable disease.
Nathan Leggett's grandparents say the boy’s mother, Johnette Nation, told them he was dying of equine encephalitis.
Within days of supposedly being diagnosed with the deadly disease, a Facebook group was created, a local newspaper published a story on Leggett and money began to pour in.
“Our whole family broke down because we thought he really did have this disease,” said Mary Loggans, the boy’s grandmother.
“We were all at the hospital crying and she told us he was dying," said Wayne Loggans, Nathan’s grandmother.
But after a couple weeks, they started to have serious questions.
“We just noticed he wasn't sick. He had too much energy to be sick,” said Wayne Loggans.
Family members say Nathan’s father -- who is divorced from Nation -- went to the hospital and pulled the records this week and found out the little boy was fine.
“The CT scan, the spinal tap -- everything that she said showed infection was fine. There was no infection to begin with. She made all this up. I don't know why she did that, but it was all made up,” said Mary Loggans.
The Oglethorpe County sheriff has referred this case to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, who are looking into the incident.
“She put jars out in all the stores in Oglethorpe County, people were sending money in the mail. People were giving me money where I work, where my husband works,” said Mary Loggans.
Family members say Johnette Nation tried to commit suicide on Thursday, the same day a judge awarded Nathan’s father full temporary custody.
“She needs help, Get her help,” said Wayne Loggans.
“Thank God has healthy. I’m just glad he’s not dying. But what if she hadn't got caught? In two months what would have happened? Would she have actually killed her own son,” said Mary Loggans.
Family members say Nathan was briefly sick because of a problem with medication. They say they don't know and may never know why his mother would make up such the story.
If you did donate money to help Nathan's treatment you should contact the Oglethorpe County Sheriff’s Office or the GBI.
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Richmond County school board addresses handwriting skills
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- VIDEO: Hilsman Middle is 'Happy'
- Goatnapped: Did someone steal baby Lidya?
- Hadley Boberg, 20, froze to death after she and a friend lost keys to their Jeep while hiking in Utah woods in frigid weather
- Michigan mother Chelsea Traxler and her unborn child killed in car accident
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- Position you sleep in with partner reveals strength of relationship
- Uber driver robbed on Huff Rd.
- Region that shaped Tsarnaev more volatile
- Salt intake falls 15%... and heart deaths fall 40% (but we still eat too much of it)
- Seattle sewage plant offers FLUSHING brides a $2,000 weddings deal
- North Carolina girl, 3, loses part of both legs in lawn mower accident
- Wig-wearing woman who hurled shoe at Hillary Clinton's head released from jail after she was given a misdemeanor disorderly conduct summons
- Strong winds cause trees to fall on roadways; home
- Student dies after being hit by 2 taxis jaywalking across busy Manhattan street
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- US Airways social media manager speaks out about 'worst tweet of all time'
- Pedestrian in serious condition after Cobb Parkway accident
- That's one way to beat the bear claw! Missing toddler found INSIDE arcade machine after squeezing through gap to claim his toy
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- National Geographic reveals 50 tours of a lifetime (and Scotland is the only entry for UK)
- Burned body of missing DeKalb County man recovered
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Atlanta soccer announcement planned Wednesday
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Fire kills a man and sends a woman to the hospital
- Georgia officials scheduled to set tuition rates
- Gregory Favors Identified as State Trooper Shooting Suspect
- Stunned boyfriend of Utah 'baby-killing' mom says he had 'no idea' about six murdered newborns
- Lioness survives being gored horrifically by a buffalo
- Alleged threat prompts more police at Auburn
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- Body at San Francisco General Hospital may be missing woman Lynne Spalding
- Former Fortune 500 exec Robert Dellinger charged with murder
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- Mailman discovers man and woman dead together in Brooklyn bathtub, an empty bottle of vodka at hand
- Support for a republic slips to lowest level due to popularity of royals
- Southwest High School Plans to Raise Graduation Rate
- Train commuters run, jump and swing on pole in ‘worst rush hour service ever’
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Man acquitted of 2011 Carousel Lounge shooting
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|