Crawford Mother Johnette Nation Pretends Son Has Incurable Disease
Family members say that the mother of a 7-year-old Oglethorpe County boy falsely claimed he had an incurable disease.
Nathan Leggett's grandparents say the boy’s mother, Johnette Nation, told them he was dying of equine encephalitis.
Within days of supposedly being diagnosed with the deadly disease, a Facebook group was created, a local newspaper published a story on Leggett and money began to pour in.
“Our whole family broke down because we thought he really did have this disease,” said Mary Loggans, the boy’s grandmother.
“We were all at the hospital crying and she told us he was dying," said Wayne Loggans, Nathan’s grandmother.
But after a couple weeks, they started to have serious questions.
“We just noticed he wasn't sick. He had too much energy to be sick,” said Wayne Loggans.
Family members say Nathan’s father -- who is divorced from Nation -- went to the hospital and pulled the records this week and found out the little boy was fine.
“The CT scan, the spinal tap -- everything that she said showed infection was fine. There was no infection to begin with. She made all this up. I don't know why she did that, but it was all made up,” said Mary Loggans.
The Oglethorpe County sheriff has referred this case to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, who are looking into the incident.
“She put jars out in all the stores in Oglethorpe County, people were sending money in the mail. People were giving me money where I work, where my husband works,” said Mary Loggans.
Family members say Johnette Nation tried to commit suicide on Thursday, the same day a judge awarded Nathan’s father full temporary custody.
“She needs help, Get her help,” said Wayne Loggans.
“Thank God has healthy. I’m just glad he’s not dying. But what if she hadn't got caught? In two months what would have happened? Would she have actually killed her own son,” said Mary Loggans.
Family members say Nathan was briefly sick because of a problem with medication. They say they don't know and may never know why his mother would make up such the story.
If you did donate money to help Nathan's treatment you should contact the Oglethorpe County Sheriff’s Office or the GBI.
Police say they discovered $2 million worth of methamphetamine inside a home in Gwinnett County last week.Gwinnett County Sheriff's deputies and Homeland Security agents responded ... Full story
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- Pharmacy tech Trishanne Willamson, husband face drug distribution charges
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Tennessee Doctor Norman Neal charged with signing blank prescriptions
- Judge denies bond for Clayton man Divonte Lester accused in shooting death of Keevon Heckstall
- Atlanta couple Renita Collins, Michael Stallworth kills man over dog, gets life
- Floyd County Father Eugene Ashley Fined $300 For Tattooing 2-Year-Old
- Police seek leads in fatal shooting of teen Vanessa "Honey" Malone
- Sandy Springs Woman Autumn Lingle says Evos restaurant employee stole credit card
- 50 Male Prostitutes Arrested In Midtown Atlanta Sting
- Police: Marijuana Found In 5-Year-Old Girl's Backpack
- Rapper OG Double D killed in shooting on I-20
- Suspect Divonte Lester arrested in fatal shooting of legislator's nephew
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins
- Police: Child Pornography Found At TV Station; Peter Mallory Arrested
- Georgia woman Andrea Blanton arrested in father's strangulation death
- 2 Bulgarians Nikolay Nikolov, 23, and Yordan Kavaklov, 29 Indicted in ATM Skimming Operation
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust
- Georgia Police Officer Travis T. Edwards Arrested for Dogfighting
- Suspect Christopher Cain charged in gay Georgia man's videotaped beating
- Atlanta Man DeMario Ware Found Guilty in Atlanta of Killing Boxer
- Kari Lynn Bryan: Educator accused of having sex with special needs student
- Mural of nude women in Atlanta to be covered up after community outrage
- Twelve-year-old girl Jessica Maple solves crime police couldn't… and then confronts burglars herself
- Parents: School Bus Driver Watched Teen Girls Fight
- Police: Man Nathan Lee Claus arrested at Ga mall went to meet girl
- Deputy Gerald Cambridge accused of drunk driving in trooper crash
- Home Invasion leaves woman Stacy West dead, husband hurt in Henry County
- Tucker Middle School Parents Timothy Taylor and Shequita Cade charged after teens' fight caught on video
- Ga. judge Russ Barnes resigns amid misconduct investigation
- DeKalb police charge sister Tyasia Jackson in death of 2-year-old girl
- Ga. state athlete Timothy Nixon killed in crash into Underground Atlanta shop
- Large fire breaks out at Tyler Perry Studios in southwest Atlanta
- Teacher Keri Van Sickle Wins Sick Leave Fight To Give Husband Her Kidney
- Police: Wrong-Way Driver Causes Crash, Killing 1 in Gwinnett County
- Suspected serial rapist Joseph Sivonda arrested in Gwinnett County
- Bonnie Anne Cooner: Body found in well likely that of missing Georgia woman
- Cameras installed into city vehicles
- DeKalb School Board member Nancy Jester resigns
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 28
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 23
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 12
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 9
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Authorities arrest 2nd suspect Julius Thomas in Clayton Co. taxi driver death 8
- Man Shot by Police in Mableton Identified as Gary Huel Jones 7
- Atlanta Officer, Dean Jackson Injured After Fall Into Water-Filled Hole 7
- Police: Husband Matthew Leili a suspect in wife Nique Leili's death 7
- 20-Year-Old Jessika Ann Howell Arrested for Multiple Crimes 6
- Family of Slain Teen, Reuben Hand, Sues MARTA 6
- Girlfriend Killer Kevin Kosturi Got Gun From Neighbor 6
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|