Teacher Almarcus Thomas accused of statutory rape, videotaping student
A DeKalb County middle school teacher is accused of having sex with a student and secretly videotaping another.
Almarcus Dwayne Thomas, 42, appeared in magistrate court Thursday afternoon to face charges that include statutory rape and molestation. Thomas, a teacher at Tucker Middle School, will remain behind bars without bond.
DeKalb County School System spokesman Walter Woods said school police received a tip from a parent in December claiming Thomas was having inappropriate sexual contact with his 15-year-old daughter.
Woods said the district immediately removed Thomas from the classroom and placed him on paid administrative leave while detectives investigated the claims. DeKalb police joined in the investigation.
Almarcus Dwayne Thomas
According to the charges, Thomas is accused of having sexual contact with the 15-year old student at school and also at her home. He’s also accused of taking secret inappropriate videos of another student while at school. Detectives also searched Thomas’ Lithonia home and said they found inappropriate sexual images on his laptop computer.
“These are just allegations at this point,” said Woods. “But we have to act on the side of the children and make sure that we’re taking precautions to make sure these children are safe.”
Woods did not know immediately what subject Thomas taught or for how long he’s been a teacher at Tucker Middle School.
DeKalb teacher arrested, makes court appearance
One of Thomas’s neighbors said he has a wife and two children. They also called him a “stand-up guy” whom they could always count on when needed.
Woods said Tucker Middle School parents were notified after the arrest.
“We just received the letter yesterday,” said Manna Samuel, the parent of a sixth-grader. “I was just shocked. I mean, that’s the safest place you send your kids, and it’s just shocking. But I love Tucker Middle School, and I’m going to just pray.”
Thomas will remain in the DeKalb County Jail without bond until he can appear before a superior court judge.
An Atlanta police officer fired after a controversial traffic stop is fighting to get his job back. Officer Anwar Bradley questioned two men about drugs, thousands ... Full story
- Police: Clayton County teen V'ondra Olivaria accidentally shot to death
- DeKalb man James Lally in jail for allegedly selling sketchy Braves tickets
- Scorned husband Phillip Dunn sentenced to life in wife's slaying
- Brunswick Man, Wife Accused In Bank Robbery
- Family Offers $10K Reward in Businessman, Russell Sneiderman's Killing
- Spa landlord Mark Allen Storch arrested over hidden cameras
- Hall County Deputies Fatally Shoot Murder Suspect John Pearce
- Valdosta State student Jasmine Benjamin's death treated as homicide
- Atlanta lawyer Antonio Tolliver gets 25 years in prison for vehicular homicide
- Hunt for Adolph 'Sonny' Neal, 47, who 'murdered wife and her grandfather in horrific crime of passion'
- DragonCon co-founder Ed Kramer files hundreds of complaints from jail
- Police: Atlanta woman Camease Miller shot, killed during home invasion
- Police: Ga. Officer Larry Leon Moore, Charged With Assault
- Megachurch pastor Wiley Jackson, brother indicted for alleged business scheme
- Ex-police officer Michael Bernard Wilson found guilty of molesting girl
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Shooting Suspect Jesse Warren Claims Penske Stole From Him
- Atlanta-area Peace Corps volunteer Danielle Dunlap dies from illness in Ghana
- Georgia man Raymond Wilson sentenced to life for molesting children
- Paulding County gym teacher Robert Cartwright accused of molesting student
- Georgia man Antiwan Lane convicted in failed murder-for-hire plot
- Fan Who Died in Stadium Fall Was 29-Year-Old Ronald Lee Homer Jr.
- Atlanta Man Eric Brown accused of molesting teen at church caught in NC
- Attorney Antonio Tolliver accepts fault in fatal DUI crash
- Airport Worker Trapped Under Machinery Dies
- Lockheed Martin to lay off 1,500
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida
- Plane wreckage found near Gilmer County
- Passenger Dustin Willis, Who Fled DUI Crash Arrested
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- Fulton assistant principal Paul Cook arrested for bringing gun to school
- Megachurch pastor bishop eddie long denies sexual relationships but admits: 'I told them to call me Daddy'
- Student athlete Kendrick Johnson found dead hours after he was trapped upside down in high school wrestling mat
- Ex-DeKalb principal Angela Jennings in indictment turns herself in
- Columbia HS senior Dominique Boyer killed outside Decatur apartment complex
- Georgia woman Stacey Schoeck pleads guilty in Valentine's Day slaying
- Ebony Daniel, Charlie Martin arrested after baby allegedly ingests cocaine
- Police Arrest Kevin Stallworth, Antiwan Lane in Fatal Dunwoody Shooting
- Fayette pastor Kenneth Robinson, woman charged with stealing $30K from church
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|