Teacher Almarcus Thomas accused of statutory rape, videotaping student
A DeKalb County middle school teacher is accused of having sex with a student and secretly videotaping another.
Almarcus Dwayne Thomas, 42, appeared in magistrate court Thursday afternoon to face charges that include statutory rape and molestation. Thomas, a teacher at Tucker Middle School, will remain behind bars without bond.
DeKalb County School System spokesman Walter Woods said school police received a tip from a parent in December claiming Thomas was having inappropriate sexual contact with his 15-year-old daughter.
Woods said the district immediately removed Thomas from the classroom and placed him on paid administrative leave while detectives investigated the claims. DeKalb police joined in the investigation.
Almarcus Dwayne Thomas
According to the charges, Thomas is accused of having sexual contact with the 15-year old student at school and also at her home. He’s also accused of taking secret inappropriate videos of another student while at school. Detectives also searched Thomas’ Lithonia home and said they found inappropriate sexual images on his laptop computer.
“These are just allegations at this point,” said Woods. “But we have to act on the side of the children and make sure that we’re taking precautions to make sure these children are safe.”
Woods did not know immediately what subject Thomas taught or for how long he’s been a teacher at Tucker Middle School.
DeKalb teacher arrested, makes court appearance
One of Thomas’s neighbors said he has a wife and two children. They also called him a “stand-up guy” whom they could always count on when needed.
Woods said Tucker Middle School parents were notified after the arrest.
“We just received the letter yesterday,” said Manna Samuel, the parent of a sixth-grader. “I was just shocked. I mean, that’s the safest place you send your kids, and it’s just shocking. But I love Tucker Middle School, and I’m going to just pray.”
Thomas will remain in the DeKalb County Jail without bond until he can appear before a superior court judge.
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- Sophisticated meth lab found in million dollar lakeside home
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- 'Our father and brothers are culprits in this tragedy': Saudi princesses who say they are kept locked in palace without food or water make contact with the outside world
- Former cop shoots dead his wife in front of their two young children
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Verdicts handed down in Jonesboro day care death
- Offers pouring in for Turner Field property
- Police investigate homicide in SW Atlanta
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Bandits break into Inman Park maintenance shop
- Family appreciates 'Prayers for Lily'
- Experts carry out DNA tests on bones thought to belong to monarchs from 1,000 years ago including King Canute
- Medicaid caution warranted, lawmakers said
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Georgia Grandparents Arrested for leaving Grandson at a Walmart
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Police seek help identifying people cashing forged checks
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Lowe's Home Improvement Store to bring 600 jobs to northwest Georgia
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Tragedy as 13-month-old toddler is shot dead in his stroller by teenage robber in front of mother
- Feds 'working with' Georgia even as plans drop out of exchange
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Former Fortune 500 exec Robert Dellinger charged with murder
- Stone Mountain Woman Leann Corley Fakes Pregnancy to Smuggle Pills
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- Property tax appeal hearings suspended indefinitely
- Popularity of IPA Day signals rise of American craft beers
- Flood warning for north Georgia
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Some South Carolina schools see drop in annual assessment
- Move over selfies... it's time for the dronie: New trend for capturing you and your pals in wide angle aerial shots from a remote controlled camera
- Arion1 Velocipede capsule is a BICYCLE and could be the fastest in history
- 30th annual Easter egg hunt at Georgia state fairgrounds
- Man, 24, pays the $974 remainder of his student loans in 500 POUNDS of pennies
- State Farm holding career fair August 6, 7
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- Chestnut sets new world record in hot dog eating contest
- Police say Augusta man is person of interest in car break-ins
- SC prison guard gave inmates key impressions
- Uptown Columbus turns blue for Light Up Columbus Glow Run benefiting Autism
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|