Man arrested after charging at Mayor Earnestine Pittman
An informational meeting in East Point about plans to raise property taxes was cut short after shouting matches and an arrest.
Mayor Earnestine Pittman wants to lower the city's utility rates, but said property taxes need to increase in order to make up the difference.
Some residents oppose the measure and got angry as the mayor laid out her plan Thursday evening. One man began yelling at the mayor from the podium, and police officers rushed to him. The man dared officers, saying, "Touch me. Touch me."
When officers tried to pull the man’s hands behind his back, he escaped their grasp and darted toward the mayor. Other officers cut him off and arrested him on disorderly conduct charges as some in the crowd chanted, "Take him out. Take him out."
Things got heated again later, as real estate agent Dustin Drabot yelled at another audience member.
"Turn down the thermostat. Stop taking three-hour lunch hours. You can control your utility rates. You can't control the tax rate. Sit down and listen," Drabot said.
After that, Sallie McKinley, a supporter of the mayor, began yelling back. But the mayor had had enough and cut the meeting short. Some, though, continued arguing outside.
"Nobody is going to tell me what to do, and we need to get rid of some of these people that don’t want to do anything and keep things the same old way," McKinley told Channel 2’s Tony Thomas.
"A lot of what's being said in there is just spin and the numbers don't support it, those were fake numbers," Drabot countered as he left.
Pittman said she has the votes to approve her plan at the council’s next meeting Monday night. She insists she wasn't worried when she saw the man coming at her.
"That was all for show. That was definitely all for show," she said. "I was not going to stand there and be disrespected, manipulated, trying to have a point proven. I'm not a puppeteer here to jump through hoops."
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Sophisticated meth lab found in million dollar lakeside home
- 'Our father and brothers are culprits in this tragedy': Saudi princesses who say they are kept locked in palace without food or water make contact with the outside world
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Former cop shoots dead his wife in front of their two young children
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Incredible images capture the Ethiopian Suri tribe whose girls have lip plates implanted at puberty as a sign of beauty
- Chew dirty rat! Filthy rodent stole grandmother's false teeth and hid them behind the fridge... before her pet Jack Russell caught and killed it
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Verdicts handed down in Jonesboro day care death
- Offers pouring in for Turner Field property
- Police investigate homicide in SW Atlanta
- Experts carry out DNA tests on bones thought to belong to monarchs from 1,000 years ago including King Canute
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Bandits break into Inman Park maintenance shop
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Family appreciates 'Prayers for Lily'
- The Queen photograph by David Bailey marks her 88th birthday
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Medicaid caution warranted, lawmakers said
- Move over selfies... it's time for the dronie: New trend for capturing you and your pals in wide angle aerial shots from a remote controlled camera
- Police say Augusta man is person of interest in car break-ins
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Tragedy as 13-month-old toddler is shot dead in his stroller by teenage robber in front of mother
- Some South Carolina schools see drop in annual assessment
- Former Fortune 500 exec Robert Dellinger charged with murder
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Lowe's Home Improvement Store to bring 600 jobs to northwest Georgia
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- Police seek help identifying people cashing forged checks
- Flood warning for north Georgia
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida
- Georgia Grandparents Arrested for leaving Grandson at a Walmart
- Heavy rain leaves one Aiken County yard inundated by water
- Train commuters run, jump and swing on pole in ‘worst rush hour service ever’
- Hobie Alter honored with traditional Hawaiian paddle-out
- Man, 24, pays the $974 remainder of his student loans in 500 POUNDS of pennies
- Stone Mountain Woman Leann Corley Fakes Pregnancy to Smuggle Pills
- Arion1 Velocipede capsule is a BICYCLE and could be the fastest in history
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- Tax-free weekend coming up soon for Alabama & Georgia
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|