Atlanta Public Schools officials Reveal Final School Closure List
It was disappointing news for APS students and parents fighting to keep their schools open. The final school closures list came out on Tuesday. Superintendent Errol Davis still wants to close eight elementary and two middle schools as part of a massive redistricting plan.
It was a somber start to the school day for D.H Stanton Elelmentary School parents and students. Residents learned they'd failed to convince school district leaders to keep the southeast Atlanta school open.
"My grandson goes here [D.H. Stanton]. He's learned a lot. He's an excellent student. And I think it's wrong for them to just take and close the school down," said grandparent Robert Usher.
The superintendent released a preliminary list of 10 schools slated for closure -- eight elementary and two middle schools -- on the Friday heading into spring break. Concerned residents were stunned to learn he added D. H. Stanton and Towns Elementary School in northwest Atlanta to the list.
They've held a series of rallies and met with district officials Monday night -- just hours before the release of final recommendations. Despite those efforts, D. H. Stanton and Towns Elementary Schools remain on the final closure list released on the Atlanta Public Schools website Tuesday morning.
The 10 schools on the chopping block are
Capitol View Elementary,
F.L. Stanton Elementary,
East Lake Elementary,
D.H. Stanton Elementary.
Kennedy Middle School,
Parks Middle School
are slated to close at the end of the 2013-2014 school year. ( Click here to read the final version for the Atlanta School Board vote)
The school board is set to vote on the controversial plan on Tuesday night. Board members will meet at Maynard Jackson High School at 2 p.m. to debate the plan and give the public a final chance to have their say during the public comment period at 6 p.m. after which board members are scheduled to vote.
Concerned parent Ricky Waller says he hopes by the end of the night the school board takes D.H. Stanton off the list. He says the kids and the neighborhood need the school.
Atlanta Public Schools officials have released the final list of school closings that the superintendent will recommend to the school board on Tuesday, April 10.
Atlanta Public Schools Superintendent Erroll Davis calls the 10 schools on the list "underutilized." He says he plans on creating a cluster situation where students will progress from an elementary school to a designated middle school, and then to a designated high school within a cluster.
In the final recommendation, those clusters have been identified as Carver High School Cluster, Douglass High School Cluster, Grady High School Cluster, Jackson High School Cluster, Mays High School Cluster, North Atlanta High School Cluster, SouthAtlanta High School Cluster, Therrell HigH School Cluster, and Washington High School Cluster.
The leader of one of Atlanta’s most violent and prolific street gangs was sentenced to two life sentences plus 40 years for killing two men ... Full story
- Georgia man Marco Rogers charged for video of men having sex with child
- GBI: Jamie Hood Had 10 Hostages, Not 9
- Ex-DeKalb principal Angela Jennings in indictment turns herself in
- Rapper OG Double D killed in shooting on I-20
- Police Identify Woman Found Dead in Jonesboro as Rochelle Alisha Thomas
- Dunwoody police arrest Ronald Cox in child molestation case
- Truck disappears into giant hole hidden underneath pile of snow
- Ga. Woman Illyanna De La Keur Says She Was Glued to Toilet Seat
- Chandler Weems: 14-year-old boy on bicycle killed by police car in Georgia
- 10 Students Arrested After Food Fight at Lovejoy High School
- Girl, 16, dies weighing just 40lb after being 'starved by her food-obsessed mother'
- Former Chattahoochee Hills Officer James Melton Files sexual harassment suit against boss
- Classmate Stephen McDaniel Charged in Mercer U. Law Grad's Killing
- Cross-dressing man sentenced to life for murder after giving Atlanta woman Karima Gordon illegal butt implant
- Former Youth Pastor Nathan Donald Moore Charged With Child Molestation
- 4 teens at wrestling camp jailed in sex assault
- CUT in the Act! Burglary Suspect Found Hanging From Razor Wire
- Georgia woman Jamie Bentley charged with starving newborn baby
- Police say Cyndi Cuffie's report of missing 3-year-old was a hoax
- Manhunt for two men Donald Brown, 34, and David Crawford, 57 wanted in molestation
- Gwinnett teacher Karen Thieken continues to recover from dangerous infection
- Police: Teen Alexander Koser shot, killed by stepfather Eric Brandon in Milton
- Hope McKenzie: Grayson High School Student Dies in Head-On Crash
- Second autopsy of teen found dead upside down in wrestling mats reveals it may have been MURDER after all
- Atlanta woman Victoria Rickman accused of shooting her lover 10 times
- Savannah teenager Preston Phelps charged with murdering father
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- DEA Atlanta: $23M In Drug Money Seized
- Emmanuel Hammond Executed For 1988 Killing Of Teacher Julie Love
- Megachurch pastor Wiley Jackson, brother indicted for alleged business scheme
- Suspect William Heaton in Athens hit-and-run granted $50K bond
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- 2 guilty of murder in brutal Cobb home invasion
- Court in Georgia orders Christopher Kelley to pay $55k to his ex- after breaking off engagement
- Mom’s boyfriend David Mann Jr charged in 7-year-old’s death
- Naterica Burkes: Former state worker at head of alleged tax scheme
- DeKalb deputy Derrick Yancey who killed wife wants new trial
- Guilty Verdict in Joanna Hayes Murder Trial
- Student athlete Kendrick Johnson found dead hours after he was trapped upside down in high school wrestling mat
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|