DeKalb deputy Derrick Yancey who killed wife wants new trial
A judge could decide next month if a former DeKalb County deputy sheriff convicted of killing his wife and a day laborer will get a new trial.
Police charged Derrick Yancey with the 2008 murders of his wife, Deputy Linda Yancey, and day laborer Marcial Cax-Puluc. A jury convicted Yancey in 2010 and a judge sentenced him to two life sentences.
Yancey claimed Cax-Puluc, a Guatemalan national he hired for work that day, murdered his wife and he was forced to shoot him in self-defense. Experts testified that the evidence, in part the blood spatter evidence, showed that could not have happened and that Yancey was the shooter.
Yancey now claims his former attorneys did not do an adequate job defending him. His new attorney, Ashleigh Merchant, wanted to put her own expert on the stand at a Tuesday morning hearing to refute that blood spatter evidence.
Yancey's original attorneys, Leticia Delan and Ruth McMullin testified Tuesday that they had hired their own blood spatter expert to examine the evidence, but after he agreed with the prosecution expert's opinion, they decided not to put him on the stand.
"You chose not to call him to the stand because his conclusions were not helpful to you?" asked prosecutor Lee Grant.
"Correct," Delan answered. "Because he said, you don't want me. 'You don't want to call me. I will hurt (your case).'"
Judge Linda Hunter ruled that the original lawyers made no errors and refused to allow Merchant to put her new expert on the stand. She will rule on the new trial motion sometime in May.
Meanwhile, Yancey remains in the DeKalb County Jail.
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Sophisticated meth lab found in million dollar lakeside home
- 'Our father and brothers are culprits in this tragedy': Saudi princesses who say they are kept locked in palace without food or water make contact with the outside world
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Former cop shoots dead his wife in front of their two young children
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Experts carry out DNA tests on bones thought to belong to monarchs from 1,000 years ago including King Canute
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Verdicts handed down in Jonesboro day care death
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Offers pouring in for Turner Field property
- Incredible images capture the Ethiopian Suri tribe whose girls have lip plates implanted at puberty as a sign of beauty
- Chew dirty rat! Filthy rodent stole grandmother's false teeth and hid them behind the fridge... before her pet Jack Russell caught and killed it
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Police investigate homicide in SW Atlanta
- Bandits break into Inman Park maintenance shop
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Medicaid caution warranted, lawmakers said
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Family appreciates 'Prayers for Lily'
- The Queen photograph by David Bailey marks her 88th birthday
- Police seek help identifying people cashing forged checks
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Former Fortune 500 exec Robert Dellinger charged with murder
- Move over selfies... it's time for the dronie: New trend for capturing you and your pals in wide angle aerial shots from a remote controlled camera
- Six-month pregnant journalist taken to hospital for treatment after pro-Kremlin political leader ordered his aides to 'violently rape her' during press conference when she asked about sanctions against Ukraine
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- Police say Augusta man is person of interest in car break-ins
- Man, 24, pays the $974 remainder of his student loans in 500 POUNDS of pennies
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida
- Tragedy as 13-month-old toddler is shot dead in his stroller by teenage robber in front of mother
- Some South Carolina schools see drop in annual assessment
- Bo Jackson returns to Auburn for annual Bo Bikes Bama charity bicycle ride
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- Feds 'working with' Georgia even as plans drop out of exchange
- Flood warning for north Georgia
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- Train commuters run, jump and swing on pole in ‘worst rush hour service ever’
- Arion1 Velocipede capsule is a BICYCLE and could be the fastest in history
- Hobie Alter honored with traditional Hawaiian paddle-out
- Georgia Grandparents Arrested for leaving Grandson at a Walmart
- Property tax appeal hearings suspended indefinitely
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|