Stomach bug common this time of year
If you haven't been feeling well lately, you are not alone. Local doctors say this time of year it is common for a stomach bug.
The signs of a stomach bug outbreak are widespread. A few weeks ago, an elementary school in Gwinnett County shut its doors for a day because so many students were sick.
"Obviously, there has to be more than just one or two children that have come down sick, in order for them to shut down the entire elementary school," says Knight Elementary School parent Erin Rice.
Dr. Stephen Keith, who sees patients at Well Street Urgent Care, says stomach viruses are common this time of year.
"We are seeing a larger number of patients who are coming in with diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal cramps," says Dr. Keith. "Certainly, not a huge epidemic to worry about, but we are aware that it does vary by different times of the year."
He says all age groups are being stricken with the bug.
To reduce your chances of getting it, wash hands frequently and be careful with cooked food.
"The easiest thing you can do is to make sure you are cleaning your food and cooking it adequately, and not undercooking. Because certain bacteria that will cause vomiting and diarrhea can live through very hot temperatures," says Dr. Keith.
Dr. Keith says once you have the bug, you simply have to wait it out. It will pass, but you can treat the symptoms. He says for the first 24 hours, drink only clear liquids.
"Clear liquids being water, ginger ale, 7Up, Pedialyte for children and Gatorade for either adults or children," suggests Dr. Keith.
During the next 24 hours start returning to a regular diet slowly with bread and rice, crackers and peanut butter. You should be better by the third day.
Dr. Keith says if blood is found in the stool, it's an indication of something more serious and they should seek immediate medical attention.
- A pesky red fox is now a permanent resident of the White House lawn after settling in during government groundskeeper's furlough last fall
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Husband and wife, both police officers in Chicago, dead in apparent murder-suicide
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- 2 shot during party at Wade-Walker Park
- BREAKING NEWS: 16-year-old boy survives UNHARMED after flying from California to Hawaii in the wheel-well
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Police say Augusta man is person of interest in car break-ins
- Gregory Favors Identified as State Trooper Shooting Suspect
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room
- Undocumented students rally for in-state tuition rates
- Justice Dept. appealing morning-after pill decision
- Authorities investigate Riverdale apartment shooting
- Newton High School basketball coach James Carter accused of sexting student
- Columbus police make shoplifting arrests at Peachtree Mall
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- Tax-free weekend coming up soon for Alabama & Georgia
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- Feds 'working with' Georgia even as plans drop out of exchange
- Discovery of long-lost World War II dog tags may solve the 70-year-old mystery of a soldier's death
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida
- SC prison guard gave inmates key impressions
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Verdicts handed down in Jonesboro day care death
- Human skeleton found inside pickup truck in Texas lake solves Helen Holladay case
- Man fatally hit by vehicle on Atlanta interstate
- Lowe's Home Improvement Store to bring 600 jobs to northwest Georgia
- Georgia Grandparents Arrested for leaving Grandson at a Walmart
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- Medicaid caution warranted, lawmakers said
- Family appreciates 'Prayers for Lily'
- Captain America beats up the competition at the box office for third straight weekend while Johnny Depp disappoints again
- Wreck shuts down traffic on I-85 SB
- Tragedy as 13-month-old toddler is shot dead in his stroller by teenage robber in front of mother
- Southwest High School Plans to Raise Graduation Rate
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Police investigate homicide in SW Atlanta
- Cobb police investigate crash in church lot
- Clayton Co. PD search for missing 3-year-old
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|