25 hotel rooms evacuated after black mold discovered
Twenty five hotel rooms at the Parkway Inn were evacuated Tuesday morning after code enforcement discovered black mold at the hotel.
"That was a nightmare when I heard the big knock on my door at 9 o'clock this morning," remembered Ronia Johasan who lived in a room where mold was found underneath the wallpaper.
He says after code enforcement made the discovery he was forced to pack up and leave.
Fox54's Mark Barber asked, "What did you think when you heard that the room where you'd been staying for a week had black mold in it?" Johasan said, "What I thought was the residents here could be sick."
A woman who lived on the second story didn't want to be identified. She says her children became sick when they moved in and now she's thinks it may have been the mold.
"While we were here, my children got over a bit of a bug that caused them to have a fever. My youngest had a fever of 100 and it went from child to child," she said.
Parikshik Sareen, the owner of the Parkway Inn, says he's doesn't think anyone's health was affected.
"Do you have any health concerns for them? You don't think anyone's health was hurt?" asked Barber as Sareen shook his head no.
Some residents believe he's responsible to keep the building up to code and free of health hazards.
"As a business owner he should've known better," said the resident who asked to remain anonymous.
But Sareen said he didn't know any better, "I don't know because usually the health inspector comes every time but I was not informed that I had anything with mold."
The Parkway Inn maids quit shortly after the mold discovery because there weren't enough rooms left for them left to clean.
Sareen says with no one to clean, he had to shut down the entire hotel.
He's offering residents a refund. Even though she can get her money back, the mother who asked to remain unnamed says she wishes she could take back all the time spent behind the Parkway Inn doors.
"It made me feel like I put my kids in danger, which in all reality I didn't. But I did what I had to do at the time. It wasn't my fault that the conditions were unfit, how was I to know?" she asked.
Code Enforcement officials say they will release a full report of the issues at the Parkway Inn Thursday.
According to the Centers for Disease control, exposure to mold can cause a stuffy nose and irritated eyes and skin; severe reactions include fever and shortness of breath.
If you believe you're exhibiting any symptoms of mold exposure, the CDC recommends that you see a doctor.
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Duchess of Cambridge keeps her cool in white dress by Australian designer for visit to Sydney's Royal Easter Show with William
- Witness: Goose on the loose with arrow through head
- Family of Dawsonville child makes plea for kidney match
- School board addresses cursive writing concerns
- Police: Locker-room thief spent $4,000 on stolen credit cards
- 'Hostage scammers' steal hundreds from Atlanta residents
- Mayor Reed speaks out against Water Management raises
- Judge John McBain lashes out at convicted killer Camia Gamet after she snickers and asks 'is that it?' as victim's aunt recounts murder
- Move over selfies... it's time for the dronie: New trend for capturing you and your pals in wide angle aerial shots from a remote controlled camera
- National Geographic reveals 50 tours of a lifetime (and Scotland is the only entry for UK)
- Twitter buzz doesnt make us watch tv shows
- College Board gives a sneak peak at redesigned SAT
- Dammion Heard's parents dispute findings that their star wrestler son, 20, killed himself as it's revealed the college student got into a fight the night he went missing
- North Carolina girl, 3, loses part of both legs in lawn mower accident
- Seattle sewage plant offers FLUSHING brides a $2,000 weddings deal
- One dead in Lilburn motorcycle accident
- Newton High School basketball coach James Carter accused of sexting student
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Bodies of teen girl on Spring break and her 33-year-old aunt pulled from Lake Erie after they went missing with two men on fishing trip
- Baby gorilla dies unexpectedly at Milwaukee zoo just one month after birth
- Man acquitted of 2011 Carousel Lounge shooting
- Video shows dog barking at a video of itself barking at video of itself barking
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- 'I'm ready for a big sob,' admits emotional Kate after playing with seriously ill children and meeting their families at hospice in Sydney
- Facebook launches new service which will share your exact location with all your friends but insists its optional
- More than $1M in fake soccer gear seized in Ga.
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Salt intake falls 15%... and heart deaths fall 40% (but we still eat too much of it)
- Hawkinsville Man Birago Blackshear Accused of Killing Ex-Girlfriend Ashton Bartlett
- Ga. governor strikes cautious note on solar energy
- Some South Carolina schools see drop in annual assessment
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Obama warns Russia may still face sanctions over Ukraine as he cautiously welcomes deal to resolve crisis
- Three million credit card numbers stolen from Michaels Stores after security breach
- Chestnut sets new world record in hot dog eating contest
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Phenix City students participate in 8th annual Crosswalk
- Columbus tutoring group prepares students for CRCT
- College Board gives a sneak peak at redesigned SAT
- Lowe's Home Improvement Store to bring 600 jobs to northwest Georgia
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- Heavy rain leaves one Aiken County yard inundated by water
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|