25 hotel rooms evacuated after black mold discovered
AUGUSTA, GA (WFXG) -
Twenty five hotel rooms at the Parkway Inn were evacuated Tuesday morning after code enforcement discovered black mold at the hotel.
"That was a nightmare when I heard the big knock on my door at 9 o'clock this morning," remembered Ronia Johasan who lived in a room where mold was found underneath the wallpaper.
He says after code enforcement made the discovery he was forced to pack up and leave.
Fox54's Mark Barber asked, "What did you think when you heard that the room where you'd been staying for a week had black mold in it?" Johasan said, "What I thought was the residents here could be sick."
A woman who lived on the second story didn't want to be identified. She says her children became sick when they moved in and now she's thinks it may have been the mold.
"While we were here, my children got over a bit of a bug that caused them to have a fever. My youngest had a fever of 100 and it went from child to child," she said.
Parikshik Sareen, the owner of the Parkway Inn, says he's doesn't think anyone's health was affected.
"Do you have any health concerns for them? You don't think anyone's health was hurt?" asked Barber as Sareen shook his head no.
Some residents believe he's responsible to keep the building up to code and free of health hazards.
"As a business owner he should've known better," said the resident who asked to remain anonymous.
But Sareen said he didn't know any better, "I don't know because usually the health inspector comes every time but I was not informed that I had anything with mold."
The Parkway Inn maids quit shortly after the mold discovery because there weren't enough rooms left for them left to clean.
Sareen says with no one to clean, he had to shut down the entire hotel.
He's offering residents a refund. Even though she can get her money back, the mother who asked to remain unnamed says she wishes she could take back all the time spent behind the Parkway Inn doors.
"It made me feel like I put my kids in danger, which in all reality I didn't. But I did what I had to do at the time. It wasn't my fault that the conditions were unfit, how was I to know?" she asked.
Code Enforcement officials say they will release a full report of the issues at the Parkway Inn Thursday.
According to the Centers for Disease control, exposure to mold can cause a stuffy nose and irritated eyes and skin; severe reactions include fever and shortness of breath.
If you believe you're exhibiting any symptoms of mold exposure, the CDC recommends that you see a doctor.
Police in Georgia have arrested two teenagers in connection with the murder of a Domino's Pizza worker who was stabbed 50 times and bludgeoned as ... Full story
- Wendy's employee Amy Seiber drops pot in burger, police say
- Computers Stolen From Atlanta School; 1 Arrested
- Jackson County man Marty Reeves arrested for shooting deaths of woman, teen son
- Head of Atlanta's '30 Deep' gang George "Keon" Redding convicted
- Covington Woman Ketitra Jones shot, killed while driving in Covington
- Fulton assistant principal Paul Cook arrested for bringing gun to school
- Jesus Gonzales and Nahum Rodriguez arrested after $2M worth of meth found in Gwinnett Co. home
- Student athlete Kendrick Johnson found dead hours after he was trapped upside down in high school wrestling mat
- Georgia's Most Dangerous Cities
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- Shooting Expert William Abbate Faces Molestation Charges
- Tucker Middle School Parents Timothy Taylor and Shequita Cade charged after teens' fight caught on video
- Clayton woman Iyana Mentor facing charges for allegedly hitting lover with SUV
- Georgia woman Stacey Schoeck pleads guilty in Valentine's Day slaying
- Home Depot employee Nikia Jones held after shooting in store parking lot
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Scorned husband Phillip Dunn sentenced to life in wife's slaying
- Megachurch pastor Wiley Jackson, brother indicted for alleged business scheme
- DeKalb School Secretary Bobbie Neil Ward Accused of Eldery Abuse
- Aimee Michael Receives 36-Year Prison Sentence in Easter Crash
- Atlanta man Michael Oneal charged in double slaying
- LaGrange Coach Travis Hart Accused of Having Sex With Student
- Atlanta lawyer Antonio Tolliver gets 25 years in prison for vehicular homicide
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges
- Clayton County high school senior Keandre Varner suspended after posting principal's mugshot on Instagram
- Atlanta Man Eric Brown accused of molesting teen at church caught in NC
- Off-Duty Atlanta Police Officer Michael Awe Found Dead
- Audit: Ga. Tech professor Michael Meyer using school trips for sexual escapades
- Assistant principal Genghis Shakhan accused of 'excessive force'
- Ex-police officer Michael Bernard Wilson found guilty of molesting girl
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Fan Who Died in Stadium Fall Was 29-Year-Old Ronald Lee Homer Jr.
- Police: Clayton County teen V'ondra Olivaria accidentally shot to death
- $1.2M in Cocaine Seized in I-20 Drug Bust
- Hunt for Adolph 'Sonny' Neal, 47, who 'murdered wife and her grandfather in horrific crime of passion'
- Couple James Hood, Briana Hood charged with murder in stabbing
- Dunwoody police arrest Ronald Cox in child molestation case
- Police arrest suspect Andrae Dinkins in slaying outside billiards hall
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|