New eateries, shops open in Midland area; LV Bar & Grill, Moe's, Yogli-Mogli, Chicken Salad Chick, Subway among offerings
LV Bar & Grill, Moe's, Yogli-Mogli, Chicken Salad Chick, Subway among offerings
By TONY ADAMS
Robby Jones lived with his family in the Midland area of Columbus for nearly two decades, a resident of the Beaver Run subdivision.
He witnessed the steady population growth, deciding a couple of years ago that it was the ideal place for another of his Subway restaurants and a Yogli-Mogli Frozen Yogurt shop.
That goal has now become a reality, with the two food establishments opening over the weekend at Lakeside Village, a Woodruff Company development with 263 upscale apartments fronted by retail and restaurant space that is now gaining momentum.
"We just felt like this was a great area. When they approached us about this shopping center we got very excited. We just felt like it would be a good match," said Jones, who soon will open his 39th Subway store in Albany, Ga., with the new Yogli-Mogli his first experience with the small Atlanta-based chain.
"I heard about it from my
brother-in-law in Atlanta," Jones said of the yogurt business. "They opened one of these near his house. He called my wife and told her we ought to look at it because every time he goes in there, it's packed. That was two or three years ago."
Now, the time has come for the larger-than-normal Subway connected to the frozen yogurt shop, the sandwich shop itself a newer, more upscale concept for the chain.
But those eateries are only the tip of the proverbial iceberg lettuce for Lakeside Village and the Midland area in general near the intersection of J.R. Allen Parkway (U.S. Highway 80) and Manchester Expressway (U.S. Highway 27).
Wendy Elliott, vice president of Woodruff Brokerage Co., said more is on the way in the coming weeks and months. There are two commercial buildings at Lakeside Village, each with 10,076 square feet of space. A third structure, about 5,600 square feet, is in the construction phase.
Adjacent to Subway will be a Moe's Southwest Grill, which is nearing completion, with an opening around mid-September, Elliott said. Also set to open around that time is LV Bar & Grill, which is expected to serve up American, Asian fusion and Southern cuisine, according to its Facebook page.
The Lakeside Village menu also will include a second Chicken Salad Chick location in a building directly behind Chick-fil-A. The "Chick" also has a restaurant at The Landings off Airport Thruway.
"We are working through their construction documents right now with pricing, and they'll probably be open in 60 to 90 days," Elliott said. "They would like to be open as soon as possible."
Adjacent to the chicken salad specialist will be My Favorite Muffin, a Midwest-based chain that serves breakfast and lunch. Elliott, who described the concept as similar to Panera Bread, said it, too, should open in roughly 60 days.
Also on the menu is a Mexican restaurant that should make its debut in about 90 days, with owners of El Carrizo Mexican Restaurant involved in the new eatery, said Elliott.
There's also a pizza prospect in negotiations for space, she said, with a nail salon already committed and a fast-food chain expected to make an official announcement within a couple of weeks on a lot across Kitten Lake Drive from Chick-fil-A.
"We, long-term, hope to get a hotel out there and more food establishments and also more retail, the hair salons and florists," Elliott said. "But we've seen a real need with the restaurants. There's nothing out there to eat."
The food offerings are starting to bubble up, however. A McDonald's outlet opened earlier this year next to the Tractor Supply store on U.S. 80, with a Liberty service station now also part of the scenery there.
On Gateway Road, near the Walmart Supercenter, Columbus developer Ben Billings said a Japanese steakhouse and a buffalo wing eatery look to land in a 7,700-square-foot strip center adjacent to the Goo-Goo car wash fronting Gateway Road, along with an Erbert & Gerbert's sandwich shop.
Negotiations also have taken place with a hair salon and a liquor store on a separate parcel behind the center, which should be completed by early 2014.
Already nailed down is an American Family Care walk-in medical and urgent care clinic, which will be on the opposite side of Goo-Goo. It, too, should be ready for patients by the first of next year.
Billings, who is nearing overall completion of the shopping zone near Walmart, said the Midland area is finally bearing commercial fruit after years of effort.
He complimented the Woodruff development as a "beautiful" addition to the area, with its more upscale approach compared to the budget-minded strategy he has used at his centers. For instance, a Dollar Tree, Title Max, Cash Magic and Fiesta Auto Insurance are part of the mix at Billings Crossing Plaza, which is 100-percent leased.
"We draw from 40 miles east of here," the developer said of residents who live in more rural areas north and east of the J.R. Allen/Manchester intersection. "Those people are in need of a lot of services and they live out there for a reason -- they don't want to live in congestion. And I get told all the time by them that if they can service all of their needs here, without going any farther, they wouldn't."
For example, Ellerslie is 9 miles north of the commercial area, with Waverly Hall less than 15 miles away and Manchester a 30-mile ride. To the east is a flourishing Midland residential area, followed by Box Springs 15 miles away, Talbotton about 25 miles and Butler just over 40 miles.
Census population estimates from 2012 show nearly 75,000 people live within a 5-mile radius of the intersection, with 2010 demographics citing a median annual household income of more than $56,000.
As for traffic counts, a 2012 Georgia Department of Transportation map indicates more than 20,000 vehicles per day navigate U.S. 80 just east of Manchester Expressway. Just west of the intersection, the count jumps to about 30,000 vehicles.
On Manchester Expressway, south of the intersection with U.S. 80, the count is roughly 17,000 vehicles daily, while north of the intersection the number is about 11,000 vehicles.
"I think all of these tenants are going to do extremely well when they open up," Elliott said of Lakeside Village. "Traffic is very heavy out there, and that's not even (rush hour) at 6 o'clock."
Is this the most sexist TV program in history? Chat show where women strip off as two men critique their naked bodies
A Danish chat show where women silently undress as the male host and a guest critique their bodies has been branded humiliating and sexist by ... Full story
- Hope Solo: 911 call details on altercation with then-fiance Jerramy Stevens
- Police: Stockbridge man John Wesley Morgan, Jr shoots, kills elderly father
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth ‘split’ rumors persist
- Crack-smoking mayor knocks down councillor in stormy debate
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old
- Lady Gaga 'dumped' by boyfriend as he can't handle her alter-egos
- AT&T: Apple Exclusivity Deal Won't Last Forever
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- Tornadoes ravage South and Midwest wiping entire Indiana town off the map
- Rookie Blake Griffin Throws Down ABSURD Alley-Oop
- Mountain biker rockets down ski slope at 135 mph
- The greatest underwater photographs from around the world
- Lena Dunham strips off and Jimmy Kimmel gets punched in the face in hilarious Emmys opening skit
- Georgia woman Stacey Schoeck pleads guilty in Valentine's Day slaying
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges
- Louisa Ball: Real-life Sleeping Beauty who sleeps for two weeks at a time
- Jeremiah Fogle, 57, killed wife Theresa Brown and shot 2 pastors
- Veteran skydiver Sean Carey plummets to death during competition
- Tennessee man and his current wife arrested in ex-wife's slaying in Germantown
- Family of I-85 hit and run victim speaks out
- Morehouse men use spring break to mentor students
- Caught on camera: Armed robbers nab prescription drugs
- Tech Check: Smartphone memory hogs
- 'Mars Needs Moms' review: A charming, subversive, minor addition to CGI family film club
- T.I. Arrested: Rapper Clifford Harris And Wife Tameka Cottle Face Drug Charges
- Stern family plane crash: Three killed after homemade plane crashes into nature preserve
- Ex-DeKalb principal Angela Jennings in indictment turns herself in
- Funny Wi-Fi network names that will alienate and amuse your neighbors
- Is soy good for you?
- Local reaction to missing airplane
- Your cutlery changes how your food tastes
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Britney's Spears suffers from scaly feet
- Jesse James Marries Heiress Alexis DeJoria
- Gregory Favors Identified as State Trooper Shooting Suspect
- Megachurch pastor Wiley Jackson, brother indicted for alleged business scheme
- Atlanta man Michael Oneal charged in double slaying
- Paulding County gym teacher Robert Cartwright accused of molesting student
- Police arrest 26-year-old Kerrianne Johnson for child molestation
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam )
- Tax-free weekend coming up soon for Alabama & Georgia
- Situation clears some units Wood House Lane
- Rhode Island ditches Christmas, Atheist Rejoice in 'HOLIDAY' tree lighting
- Excited cheetah grazes face of Botswana president Ian Khama
- Video shows driver Stephanie Wilkerson literally kicking special needs girl off the bus
- Cashier Mary Jane Hart sells herself $1 million winning Powerball ticket
- ‘Who’s that girl?’ Mystery woman crashes Olympic delegation
- No zoo for you, kid. The US government shutdown hates children
- 10 ways to improve your body
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|