Mich. Grandmother Sandra Layne shot grandson 8 times
Jonathon Hoffman frantically told a 911 dispatcher he had been shot in the chest by his grandmother and was going to die, a police detective testified Monday.
By the time officers arrived at the family's upscale condo in a Detroit suburb, at least four more shots from a .40-caliber handgun had been pumped into the 17-year-old high school senior.
A West Bloomfield Township detective told a judge during Monday's arraignment for 74-year-old Sandra Layne that eight entry and exit wounds were found in Hoffman's body after the Friday afternoon shooting.
Layne has been charged with open murder and held without bond. She stood mute in court when the charge was read, and a not guilty plea was entered on her behalf. An open murder charge allows a jury to decide on whether a first- or second-degree charge applies after hearing evidence.
Hoffman had been attending an alternative high school in nearby Farmington and living with his maternal grandparents so he could complete his senior year while his divorced parents settled in Arizona, according to his father, Michael Hoffman of Scottsdale, Ariz.
Layne's attorneys have said there were problems at the condo, and Layne was afraid of her grandson. One of her attorneys, Mitchell Ribitwer, told reporters Monday that drugs and drug paraphernalia apparently belonging to the teen were found at the condo after Hoffman was killed.
Michael Hoffman said that regardless of his son's behavior, the teen was unarmed and didn't deserve to be shot to death.
Detective Brad Boulet testified about Hoffman's 911 call and said when officers arrived at the condo, Layne was inside, behind a screened door.
"She put the gun on the floor after being ordered so by officers," Boulet said. "She exclaimed she had just murdered her grandson."
Wearing an orange jumpsuit in court, Layne smiled and nodded to her husband and other family members.
Ribitwer described her to the judge as a retired teacher who has lived in the West Bloomfield area for 30 years. His requests for a reasonable bond and electronic tether monitor for Layne were denied. A pre-examination conference for Layne was set for Thursday morning.
Prosecutors had no comment after the hearing. Layne's husband and other relatives attended the hearing but also didn't comment.
Police had responded in March to a domestic disturbance at Layne's home.
"I spoke to the officer who responded, and he indicated this young man was totally out of control in the street," defense attorney Ribitwer told reporters Monday. "He was derogatory to his grandmother. He was yelling and shouting and almost got into it with the police."
Blaine Romes, left, and his older brother, Blake Romes, in an undated personal photo. / Personal Photo via WKRC (CBS/AP) OTTAWA, Ohio - Eighteen-year-old Michael Fay has ...
- Art Teacher Amanda Ludwig charged with enticing 15-year-old student for sex
- Former KY judge Raymond Smith, 51, shoots ex-lover, 21, and kills her brother and dad before turning the gun on himself
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- 29-year-old Texas man Thomas Olivas 'killed ex-girlfriend, 26, and burned baby boy over child support payments'
- Ravel Dixon: Single mother, 22, charged with killing millionaire who was tied up and brutally murdered in his mansion
- Four teenagers 'gang-raped female UMass student, 18, during wild dorm room party featuring vodka and pot'
- Disney worker Matthew Sepik, 20, 'sexually assaulted a young boy and girl over five years'
- 104 NY Men Charged with patronizing a prostitute
- Kangaroo kicks up a fuss in West Texas town, but is it a k-rime?
- Jashua Prez shot at Kaitlin Gerber as she drove to work in Toledo, Ohio
- Buried bodies found in Victorville, California belong to missing McStay family
- Ohio father William Inman strangled son's wife with zip-tie then stored her body in church septic tank after she filed for divorce
- Teacher Kelly Watson reveals she is PREGNANT with her 17-year-old special needs student's child
- McStay Family Update: Joseph McStay's father says he suspects three people in family's 2010 disappearance, murders
- Brooke Lynn Domel: High school teacher and married mother-of-two is charged after 'having sex with a male student'
- Michelle Freeman: Police arrest husband and wife after nation-wide 'Jane Doe' child pornography manhunt
- Not-so-model citizen: Maxim 'Hometown Hottie' finalist arrested in heroin bust
- Man 'kills girlfriend with vacuum cleaner'
- Florida woman Samantha Brownlee charged with killing boss in Pinellas Park
- Massachusetts schoolboy Philip Chism accused of raping and killing his maths teacher
- Simi Valley Teacher Malia Brooks Arrested, Accused Of Lewd Acts With A Minor
- Musician Raefe Ahkbar kills three bandmates in New York
- Man and seven-month-old baby boy killed in ambush on New Orleans bridge
- PA teen Tristan Stahley charged with murder after stabbing 17-year-old girlfriend to death
- Nebraska man Anthony Utterback acquitted after stabbing his wife's lover to death
- Tracey Grissom 'shot ex-husband dead after he made an obscene gesture at her'
- Catholic school teacher Abigail Marie Simon arrested for having sex with 15-year-old student
- Teenager scams New York surgeon to buy bigger breasts
- 2,000 Xmas trees cut down in theft try, Minn. authorities say
- Knockout game is killing innocent civilians
- Florida man who ‘exposed himself’ tells police: ‘I was just airing out my penis’
- Merrick McKoy, Colo. father, kills daughter then shoots himself after posting on Facebook, report says
- Christine McCallum: Virginia teacher drugged and had sex with student, 13, 300 times
- Pictured: Tracy Bennett, woman shot dead in hotel room with lover 'by ex-boyfriend as she begged for mercy'
- William Houk: Varsity football player charged with aggravated sexual battery after 'assaulting teammate'
- Married Arizona woman Jennifer Dempsey, 35, posed as 16-year-old online to have sex with teen boys
- Wis. man Kou Thao charged after severed head found in trunk
- Math teacher Jamila Williams gets 8 to 15 years in prison for having sex with four teenage boys in her class
- California woman Amanda Sorensen, 22, 'killed her boyfriend's daughter by force-feeding her CHILLI POWDER as a punishment'
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|