Mich. Grandmother Sandra Layne shot grandson 8 times
Jonathon Hoffman frantically told a 911 dispatcher he had been shot in the chest by his grandmother and was going to die, a police detective testified Monday.
By the time officers arrived at the family's upscale condo in a Detroit suburb, at least four more shots from a .40-caliber handgun had been pumped into the 17-year-old high school senior.
A West Bloomfield Township detective told a judge during Monday's arraignment for 74-year-old Sandra Layne that eight entry and exit wounds were found in Hoffman's body after the Friday afternoon shooting.
Layne has been charged with open murder and held without bond. She stood mute in court when the charge was read, and a not guilty plea was entered on her behalf. An open murder charge allows a jury to decide on whether a first- or second-degree charge applies after hearing evidence.
Hoffman had been attending an alternative high school in nearby Farmington and living with his maternal grandparents so he could complete his senior year while his divorced parents settled in Arizona, according to his father, Michael Hoffman of Scottsdale, Ariz.
Layne's attorneys have said there were problems at the condo, and Layne was afraid of her grandson. One of her attorneys, Mitchell Ribitwer, told reporters Monday that drugs and drug paraphernalia apparently belonging to the teen were found at the condo after Hoffman was killed.
Michael Hoffman said that regardless of his son's behavior, the teen was unarmed and didn't deserve to be shot to death.
Detective Brad Boulet testified about Hoffman's 911 call and said when officers arrived at the condo, Layne was inside, behind a screened door.
"She put the gun on the floor after being ordered so by officers," Boulet said. "She exclaimed she had just murdered her grandson."
Wearing an orange jumpsuit in court, Layne smiled and nodded to her husband and other family members.
Ribitwer described her to the judge as a retired teacher who has lived in the West Bloomfield area for 30 years. His requests for a reasonable bond and electronic tether monitor for Layne were denied. A pre-examination conference for Layne was set for Thursday morning.
Prosecutors had no comment after the hearing. Layne's husband and other relatives attended the hearing but also didn't comment.
Police had responded in March to a domestic disturbance at Layne's home.
"I spoke to the officer who responded, and he indicated this young man was totally out of control in the street," defense attorney Ribitwer told reporters Monday. "He was derogatory to his grandmother. He was yelling and shouting and almost got into it with the police."
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- Man demands realtor takes back mansion he leased for knock-down price after discovering it is 'haunted' after gruesome murder took place there
- The dog with a thousand hilarious faces who LOVES to play fetch
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Pictured hours before his fatal slip in New York bar: Camilla's brother Mark Shand, 62, smiling for camera's with his 'secret fianceé, Ruth Powys, 36, and Princess Eugenie
- Sign calls candidate for school board president 'chicken'
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's brother Mark Shand in critical condition after fall outside NY club
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Charleston carriage incident eerily similar to Savannah's
- Teacher Saralyn Gayle Portwood arrested for inappropriate relationship with student
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- Town Hall meeting called to discuss District 5
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- 'They had robbed my family': Widow's anguish as three teens indicted for killing married father of two on son's birthday after he willingly gave the muggers his wallet
- Thieves dressed like nuns from 'The Town' rob suburban bank TCF
- Police ID UGA student found dead in dorm room as David Braun
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- A playboy and gossip but he never let his beloved sister down: Richard Kay on the Mark Shand he knew
- Eminem under fire for 'homophobic' ballad 'Rap God'
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- Man buys $27 of bitcoin, now he's a millionaire
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Duke and Duchess learn to DJ: William and Kate hit the decks in Adelaide as they visit suburb named after the Queen
- Ohio teacher fired after telling black student he didn't need another black president after Obama
- Newton High School basketball coach James Carter accused of sexting student
- Columbus police make shoplifting arrests at Peachtree Mall
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- Three men charged in February Bay Street chase
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- Young couple killed picking up relatives who were making a surprise visit from the airport
- How female musical tastes change when she is at her most fertile
- Justin Bieber alienates Chinese fans with visit to Japanese war shrine
- CNN anchor Deborah Feyeric claims meteor hurtling toward Earth could be a result of global warming
- California man beaten with skateboards by four kids remains in critical condition
- Chestnut sets new world record in hot dog eating contest
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- University of Texas women's track coach Bev Kearney fired for lesbian relationship with one of her athletes
- Chocolate demand in China outstripping cocoa bean production
- Oprah Winfrey's bitter stepmother Barbara in explosive first-ever interview
- Alabama students to receive free ACT testing
- UPDATE: Five hour hostage situation at Trumbull County jail ends; Correctional officer safe
- Oscar Senior found guilty of all charges related to 2012 murder
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|