Megan Boken: Saint Louis University volleyball star murdered in her car
A former college volleyball star was gunned down at close range in her car when she returned to her old school for an alumnae game.
The murder of Megan Boken, 23, has left stunned friends and teammates at Saint Louis University in Missouri wondering -- was she targeted? Police have not said whether she knew her attacker.
Witnesses said Miss Boken was seen arguing with the man who shot her in the chest and neck and that he may have gotten out of her car before violence erupted. However her family insists she did not know the man.
Police suggested it may have been a botched robbery.
Brutal: Ms Boken's attacker opened her driver's side door and fired multiple times at close range -- hitting her in the neck and chest
After she graduated, Miss Boken moved back home to the quiet Chicago suburb of Wheaton, Illinois, where she worked for a financial adviser.
She returned to St Louis, which has the second-highest murder rate in the nation, this weekend to play alongside her college teammates in a game against the current players.
KPLR-TV reported that Miss Boken was found in her Volkswagen about 2pm on Saturday in the parking lot of an apartment building where she lived when she attended St Louis University.
She was rushed to the hospital with gunshot wounds to her chest and neck, but died on arrival.
Witnesses told police they saw Miss Boken and the man arguing and then watched as he opened the door of her car and fire several shots at very close range.
He than fled the scene.
Witnesses described him as a thin black man in his mid-20s, about 5-foot-8 tall with short hair.
Police are hoping a review of surveillance cameras in the area will give them a better idea of what happened inside the car.
Miss Boken's family, meanwhile, has issued a statement saying she did not know her attacker.
'Megan was a wonderful and beautiful human being loved by everyone she met. The family and the community are devastated by this senseless tragedy,' they said in a statement to the St Louis Post-Dispatch.
'The initial reports that Megan knew her attacker are no longer believed to be true. The family asks that you keep Megan and them in your thoughts and prayers and respect their privacy at this time.'
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- Man demands realtor takes back mansion he leased for knock-down price after discovering it is 'haunted' after gruesome murder took place there
- The dog with a thousand hilarious faces who LOVES to play fetch
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Pictured hours before his fatal slip in New York bar: Camilla's brother Mark Shand, 62, smiling for camera's with his 'secret fianceé, Ruth Powys, 36, and Princess Eugenie
- Sign calls candidate for school board president 'chicken'
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's brother Mark Shand in critical condition after fall outside NY club
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Charleston carriage incident eerily similar to Savannah's
- Teacher Saralyn Gayle Portwood arrested for inappropriate relationship with student
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- Town Hall meeting called to discuss District 5
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- 'They had robbed my family': Widow's anguish as three teens indicted for killing married father of two on son's birthday after he willingly gave the muggers his wallet
- Thieves dressed like nuns from 'The Town' rob suburban bank TCF
- Police ID UGA student found dead in dorm room as David Braun
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- A playboy and gossip but he never let his beloved sister down: Richard Kay on the Mark Shand he knew
- Eminem under fire for 'homophobic' ballad 'Rap God'
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- Man buys $27 of bitcoin, now he's a millionaire
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Duke and Duchess learn to DJ: William and Kate hit the decks in Adelaide as they visit suburb named after the Queen
- Ohio teacher fired after telling black student he didn't need another black president after Obama
- Newton High School basketball coach James Carter accused of sexting student
- Columbus police make shoplifting arrests at Peachtree Mall
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- Three men charged in February Bay Street chase
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- Young couple killed picking up relatives who were making a surprise visit from the airport
- How female musical tastes change when she is at her most fertile
- Justin Bieber alienates Chinese fans with visit to Japanese war shrine
- CNN anchor Deborah Feyeric claims meteor hurtling toward Earth could be a result of global warming
- California man beaten with skateboards by four kids remains in critical condition
- Chestnut sets new world record in hot dog eating contest
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- University of Texas women's track coach Bev Kearney fired for lesbian relationship with one of her athletes
- Chocolate demand in China outstripping cocoa bean production
- Oprah Winfrey's bitter stepmother Barbara in explosive first-ever interview
- Alabama students to receive free ACT testing
- UPDATE: Five hour hostage situation at Trumbull County jail ends; Correctional officer safe
- Oscar Senior found guilty of all charges related to 2012 murder
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|