Florida teen Cassidy Goodison, 14, charged with first degree murder after she strangles newborn baby
A pregnant fourteen-year-old girl secretly delivered her baby with a pair of scissors in the family bathroom before throttling the boy to death and hiding the body in a shoe box.
Cassidy Goodison, 14, has been charged as an adult with first degree murder after police learned how she killed her child following months of fearfully disguising her pregnancy from her mother and father.
Her harrowing case has shocked even experienced officers and graphically illustrates the problems of the 750,000 teenage Americans who fall pregnant every year.
Goodison went into labor in her home in Greenbrier Village, Florida on September 19 and instead of calling for help, disguised her screams of pain by running the tap and gripping a towel between her teeth as she sat on the toilet.
After prising the 9.5lb boy form her body with a pair of scissors, she felt for a pulse and then strangled the boy to death and hid his corpse in a shoe box with dirty laundry.
Three days later, as Teresa Goodson cleaned her daughter's room, a foul odour drew her attention to a pile of soiled, wet clothes in which she found the deceased infant hidden in a box.
An autopsy performed determined the victim was a full term infant and that he was alive and breathing prior to death. He died as a result of asphyxia from strangulation and blunt force trauma.
Miss Goodson had gone to great lengths to hide the transformation of her 5ft 3in 100lb body during pregnancy, according to Polk County officials.
Throughout the summer, as she walked around in baggy sweat pant and loose-fitting T-shirts.
Members of her family grew suspicious of her appearance and attempted to discuss the possibility she was pregnant with the teen's mother.
But Mrs Goodson denied the suggestions, said the report, claiming that she had made her daughter do two home tests, albeit in the privacy of her bathroom, which both came out negative.
Scene of the crime: Cassidy Goodson lives on this street in Greenbrier Village, Florida
Husband Timothy Goodson agreed meanwhile that he had noticed Miss Goodson's weight gain and that she had been walking around at home wrapped in a blanket.
An interview with the teenager on September 22 revealed that after the 14-year-old had delivered the 9.5lb, 20.4in boy into the toilet, she had felt for a pulse and then strangled him to death.
Confirming he was dead by once again checking his pulse, she then cleaned herself and the baby and tucked the evidence out of sight.
Shortly after, however, Mrs Goodson noticed blood in the toilet she knew had been recently used by her daughter so took her to Lakeland Regional Medical Center.
There medical staff treating the high school student told Mrs Goodson that she had suffered a miscarriage and showed four to five lacerations on her vaginal wall.
Medical drama: After the teen's mother saw blood in the toilet shortly after, they went to Lakeland Regional Medical Center where staff believed she had suffered a miscarriage
Though these injuries were in reality self-inflicted when the teenager had pried the baby out of her with a pair of scissors, she falsely confessed to her mother that she had indeed had a miscarriage at home and flushed the fetus down the toilet by mistake.
Polk County Sheriff's Office deputies, along with members of the Department of Children and Families responded to a call from the hospital reporting the case and details were retained by the PCSO Bureau of Criminal Investigations for follow up investigations.
According to the Sheriff's Office affidavit, on the evening of September 22, at approximately 7.30pm, Mrs Goodson removed a bag of smelly, wet clothing from a storage stool in her daughter's bedroom.
While sorting through the clothing she found the body of the baby concealed in the shoe box.
In a panic, Mrs Goodson called her sisters who in turn alerted the police.
Miss Goodson told detectives she was motivated to hide her pregnancy and choke the baby 'to stop him from breathing,' by the fear that her relationship with her parents would change if they found out the truth.
Miss Goodson was arrested on Thursday and transported first to the Juvenile Assessment Center and then to the Polk County Juvenile Detention Facility.
She is charged with Premeditated First Degree Murder, a capital felony and Aggravated Child Abuse, a first degree felony.
Polk County Public Information officer, Donna Wood, told MailOnline: This is the most perplexing, confusing, disheartening case I've ever seen in my 18 years on this job. Everyone has been touched by it.'
An 18-year-old woman has been accused of raping a 13-year-old boy inside a church. Hannah Steiner is alleged to have forced the teen to have sex ... Full story
- Schoolgirl madam Chelsey Elizabeth Taylor, 17, charged for 'pushing friends into having sex with 62-year-old businessman for money'
- Knockout game is killing innocent civilians
- Lesbian Mallory Owens allegedly beaten by girlfriend's brother Travis Hawkins at Thanksgiving dinner
- Not-so-model citizen: Maxim 'Hometown Hottie' finalist arrested in heroin bust
- Ian Burlakoff kills wife Germana over excessive spending before he's shot by police
- Married teacher Erin Sayar, 36, allegedly had sex with Kevin Eng when she was meant to be tutoring him
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Teenager scams New York surgeon to buy bigger breasts
- Baby dies of overdose after 'babysitters injected his feet and hands with heroin and cocaine'
- William Houk: Varsity football player charged with aggravated sexual battery after 'assaulting teammate'
- Claudia Hidic: Teenage girl was 'shot dead in crossfire after hiring thugs to pretend to take her hostage
- Nebraska man Anthony Utterback acquitted after stabbing his wife's lover to death
- Sylvia Mitchell Update: "Sorry" NYC psychic gets 5 to15 years in prison for conning clients
- Tennessee man and his current wife arrested in ex-wife's slaying in Germantown
- Massachusetts schoolboy Philip Chism accused of raping and killing his maths teacher
- Faysal Himon, NYC cab driver, avoids charges in accident that left tourist without a foot, report says
- Buried bodies found in Victorville, California belong to missing McStay family
- Florida man who ‘exposed himself’ tells police: ‘I was just airing out my penis’
- Couple Terry and Victoria Smith 'kept naked six-year-old autistic son in CAGE and fed him hot dogs through the bars'
- Man and seven-month-old baby boy killed in ambush on New Orleans bridge
- Jersey Bridgeman: Girl, 6, whose father chained her to a dresser found dead
- Musician Raefe Ahkbar kills three bandmates in New York
- Mark Berndt Update: Calif. teacher pleads no contest to molesting students
- Man 'kills girlfriend with vacuum cleaner'
- Ryan Muehlhauser: Pastor who 'offered to "cure" homosexuals is arrested for sexually assaulting male clients'
- Elementary school principal Leslie Chance 'shot her husband dead and dumped his body in an orchard'
- Neighbor Zachary Dewayne Holly arrested in the murder of six-year-old girl Jersey Bridgeman
- Corrine Motley: Federal investigators bust 'Jane Doe' child sex abuser
- Andrea Ebert: Special ed teacher, 31, who had sex with teen students sentenced to just six months in jail
- Girl flees pursuer, finds friendly face, safety at Denver home
- McStay Family Update: Human remains found in Mojave Desert belong to Calif. family missing since 2010, relative says
- Tenn. Man Randolph Maidens Charged With Murder in Wife's Death
- Fifth-grade teacher Lisa Davis investigated for sexually molesting 10-year-old boy in her class
- Cincinnati Bengals cheerleading captain and ex-teacher Sarah Jones indicted for having sex with student
- Brittany Weyandt: Woman, 20, arrested after giving birth to 14-year-old's baby
- Female dance teacher Amanda Feenstra 'had sex countless times with girl, 17, at school'
- Ex-NFL cheerleader Elizabeth Garner, 42, 'fondled boy, 12, at party - because she thought he was a man'
- McStay Family Update: Joseph McStay's father calls probe of Calif. family's 2010 disappearance "botched, inept"
- Orthopedic surgeon Raymond Severt, 53, arrested after 'trying to meet girl, 13, for sex on side of road'
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|