Mormon doctor Martin MacNeill 'murdered wife and moved lover into family home as his nanny'
A woman who had a year-long affair with a doctor before he allegedly killed his wife has testified that he moved her into his family home just weeks after the murder to be the new nanny.
Gypsy Jyll Willis detailed the clandestine relationship as she took the stand in the fifth day of a preliminary hearing of Martin MacNeill, 56, in Provo, Utah on Wednesday.
As she left the stand, she locked eyes with MacNeill, staring adoringly at him as she walked past.
MacNeill, a former Mormon Sunday school teacher and father of seven is accused of murdering his wife Michele, who was found drowned in the bathtub at their Pleasant Grove, Utah home in 2007.
He is accused of forcing her to have a face lift before giving her a cocktail of lethal drugs, which he claimed would help her recovery. She was found dead eight days later.
Look of love: Gypsy Willis passes Martin MacNeill, a doctor accused of murdering his wife, after testifying against him on Wednesday. They had an affair for more than a year before the death
Willis revealed to the court that she met him online in 2005 and for the first time in person that November, before beginning a sexual relationship in January 2006, the Deseret News reported.
Yet when they began their relationship, she did not see it having a future, she said.
'It was just for fun,' Willis said. 'It was whenever we could get together. It was just friendly.'
'He had great respect and love for Michele,' she said. 'He said he had a family and was very happy.'
She moved into a duplex that MacNeill owned and provided her with an unlimited credit card to help her get through nursing school, she said. She used it for gas, groceries and coffee.
Accused: MacNeill, a former Sunday school teacher and father of seven, is accused of murdering his wife
After the death of Michele MacNeill, which was initially ruled as natural causes, the circumstances of their relationship changed and Willis said she and her lover began talking about a future together.
'Martin told me he felt very sorry we had been involved prior to Michele's death,' she said. 'He was embarrassed about that. He wanted me to come help him and support him.'
But he wanted the children to meet their new nanny in a neutral place, which led to the bizarre circumstances of their first meeting.
One of his daughters, Rachel MacNeill, told the court that three days after her mother's funeral, her father asked her to meet him at the LDS Mount Timpanogos Temple in American Fork.
'He thought it would be a nice place and a calming environment... a conducive way to be introduced to Rachel,' Willis explained.
At the temple, he told her he wanted them to pray for guidance about getting a new nanny and, as they left, a woman named Jyllian walked by them, Rachel MacNeill said.
Unhappy marriage: Martin MacNeill, left, allegedly gave his wife Michele, right, a cocktail of lethal drugs as she recovered from a face lift. She was found drowned in the bathtub eight days after the operation
Heartbroken: Rachael MacNeill, one of MacNeill's daughters, testified that her father took her to a temple to pray for a nanny before 'bumping' into Willis, who he pretended not to know
Her father pretended as if he could not remember the woman well and did not know her name. He later told his children that he wanted the woman to work as their nanny.
'She didn't do anything that a nanny would do,' Rachel MacNeill said. 'I expected to see what I had seen before (with those who) had been hired as nannies, that their main focus was the children. That they were there to work ... not just sitting and staring at my dad.'
After the death of his wife, MacNeill and Willis were convicted of identity fraud and served years in prison for stealing the identity of MacNeill's 16-year-old adopted daughter.
When she left federal prison, Willis was convicted on a state charge but prosecutors agreed not to seek extra jail time - provided she testified against her lover.
Yet defense attorney Randy Spencer said he thinks the testimony did little to help their case.
Big family: MacNeill, a doctor and Mormon Sunday school teacher, adopted four children with his wife
'Mr. MacNeill has done a lot of bad things in his life,' he said. 'Just because you're a bad man, however, does not make you a murderer.'
While they were imprisoned, the couple wrote to each other and planned to make a future but now, 'quite honestly, we have both lost everything', she said.
After the murder, the MacNeill children fought relentless for police to re-open the case into their mother's death, certain their father had killed her.
An autopsy indicated she died of natural causes, but a 2010 addendum to that report questioned the manner of death and authorities now believe she was drugged by her husband.
The unravelling of the MacNeill family began in 2005 when her father started losing weight, tanning and acting strangely, even disappearing for days at a time.
Stunning: MacNeill allegedly forced his wife Michele, pictured, into having a facelift and gave her a lethal mix of drugs as she was recovering. He found her dead in the bathtub of their home
Doting: Michele was described as a loving mother who did everything for her children and her husband
In 2007, Michele became convinced her husband was having an affair after she found out the same number had been called over and over again at strange hours of the morning.
A few days later, MacNeill came to his wife with a strange request: He wanted her to have a facelift.
Two weeks later, she had the surgery and was back at home recovering with Valium, Percocet, Phenergan and Ambien pills, supplied by her husband.
A few days later, as she struggled with her recovery, she told her daughter: 'In case anything happens to me, make sure it was not your father.'
Michele was found dead in the bathtub just eight days after the surgery.
MacNeill claimed his wife slipped and fell, and he discovered her on returning home from collecting his then six-year-old daughter.
'Killed': Prosecutors say MacNeill did not give his wife CPR, as he had claimed, and purposefully gave the 911 dispatcher the wrong address to further delay emergency responders
In a series of frantic 911 calls, he hung up on the operator three times in five minutes. He lied to the dispatcher about performing CPR and gave the wrong address of his residence, which delayed emergency responders, prosecutors claim.
According to an affidavit, Utah State Medical Examiner Todd Grey said the combination of medicines found in her body, which may have been forced upon her and could have been lethal.
'When my father called I knew he'd killed her,' Alexis Somers said. 'I just started screaming he killed her. My father planned and orchestrated my mother's death and thought he could get away with it.'
Family members have said they suspect Willis was also involved in Michele MacNeill's death, but she has not been charged in the case.
The preliminary hearing is expected to finish on Thursday when Judge Samuel McVey will determine if there is enough evidence to order MacNeill to stand trial.
An Elizabethtown woman working on a degree in criminal justice now faces a felony charge of institutional sex assault, according to police. Kayla Danielle Davis, 22, ... Full story
- Nike’s Sexist “Gold Digging” Shirt Under Fire
- Deputies perform "pit maneuver" to end chase
- Atlanta City Council looks at donating tax money to charity
- New Jersey Governor Chris Christie in Atlanta
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Mountain biker rockets down ski slope at 135 mph
- CNN anchor Deborah Feyeric claims meteor hurtling toward Earth could be a result of global warming
- Pregnant weightlifter just two weeks away from giving birth provokes online storm
- Body of girl, 10, found badly burned in Atlanta trash can as her father is arrested
- Antonio McDyess Buzzer Beater: Spurs Beat Lakers With Last-Second Tip-In (VIDEO)
- Meet Colonel Meow, the world's hairiest cat
- Stern family plane crash: Three killed after homemade plane crashes into nature preserve
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- James Fortune to perform at free concert
- Gunmen throw grenades at mall in Nairobi, Kenya
- Man (or Superman?) survives being hit by train traveling 110 mph
- Sailor from Oregon Jonathon Gibson killed in Red Sea helicopter crash
- Florida man's smartphone takes a bullet for him
- Some UGA students calling for a change with arch ceremony
- Atlanta middle school principal resigns following report
- ‘I’ve been beating myself up all day’: John Travolta breaks silence over ‘Adele Dazeem’ gaffe
- Charges dropped for UVA student Elizabeth Daly in water-buying incident
- Buyers of Dell's new Latitude 6430u Ultrabook complain it smells of cat urine
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- President Obama catches fainting pregnant woman
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- Atlanta man Michael Oneal charged in double slaying
- Christopher P. Dona named as Army Ranger killed in parachute mishap
- Take 24 seconds to watch this unbelievable knockout
- Tax-free weekend coming up soon for Alabama & Georgia
- 'Mars Needs Moms' review: A charming, subversive, minor addition to CGI family film club
- Paulding County gym teacher Robert Cartwright accused of molesting student
- Louisa Ball: Real-life Sleeping Beauty who sleeps for two weeks at a time
- Black North Carolina pastor to church volunteers: "Only white people" at front door of church
- 1,000 mph car with Bloodhound rocket fired for first time (video)
- Cashier Mary Jane Hart sells herself $1 million winning Powerball ticket
- Asian giant hornets have killed at least 19 people in China over the last three months
- Athens man James Maurice Hood convicted in slaying over painkillers
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
- Controversial Tennessee mosque targeted by arsonists gets go-ahead despite 16 months of protests
- Jeremiah Fogle, 57, killed wife Theresa Brown and shot 2 pastors
- Minnesota coach Jerry Kill suffers another seizure during Michigan State game
- Is this the most sexist TV program in history? Chat show where women strip off as two men critique their naked bodies
- Megachurch pastor bishop eddie long denies sexual relationships but admits: 'I told them to call me Daddy'
- RSS Syndication
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|