Christopher Krumm: 'Bow and arrow' killer murders woman and father at Casper College
Police have identified the man who stabbed a woman and killed his own father with a bow and arrow before killing himself in a senseless act of murder at a central Wyoming community college.
Casper Police Chief Chris Walsh said today that Christopher Krumm, 25, of Vernon, Connecticut, first stabbed his dad's girlfriend Heidi Arnold, 42, about two miles southwest of Casper College on Friday morning.
Krumm then went to the college and shot his father, 56-year-old computer science instructor James Krumm, in the head with the bow-and-arrow in front of his horrified students.
He then stabbed himself with a large knife.
Walsh said the younger Krumm smuggled the weapon into the classroom under a blanket.
The classroom killing prompted a college-wide lockdown as police attempted to ensure that it did not spiral into yet another campus massacre.
Casper Police Chief Chris Walsh said investigators were still trying to determine a motive.
Christopher Krumm graduated from the University of Colorado in 2008, where he studied in the school's Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
'I want to emphasize that this is a horrible tragedy,' Walsh said. 'And I want the city to... just feel safe right now. There is no one at large.'
The attack at the two-year community college in Casper occurred just before 9am in a classroom on the science building's third floor. All students and staff were evacuated from the building.
The college sent out a campus-wide alert via text message and email within two minutes of receiving word of the attack at 9.06am, school spokesman Rich Fujita said.
The lockdown ended at about 11am after school officials received word that police were no longer searching for a suspect.
There are fewer classes on Fridays than any other day of the week at Casper College, so only between 1,500 and 2,000 of the college's 5,000 students were there, Fujita added.
Tragedy: Students and staff listen to a new conference discussing the apparent murder-suicide on their campus.
Political science instructor Chris Henrichsen said he was showing the film Frost/Nixon to his government class when he stepped into the hall to get something for a student and was told a homicide had occurred on campus.
He went back to his classroom, where students were getting messages about the campus lockdown on their phones.
'We locked the door and waited for further instruction,' Henrichsen said.
The students were later sent home, but some who parked near a different campus building where the attack occurred had to leave their cars there, Henrichsen said.
About two miles away, Dave Larsen said he was headed to the gym when he drove past a body in a gutter with two people standing over it, one talking on a cellphone.
Larsen lives about a block from the location of the body, a well-kept neighborhood of mostly single-story houses.
Emergency vehicles had the street blocked off on Friday afternoon.
Scene: The horrific murder-suicide took place in the science building of the community college
Walsh said 33 law enforcement officers from different agencies responded to the college after receiving reports of the attack. He said authorities first thought it might have been an 'active-shooter-type situation.'
'We quickly contained the building and started a sweep through the building,' he said.
Walsh said that within minutes of the initial call, there was another report of a traumatic injury about two miles southwest of campus. That victim was found in the street, the Star-Tribune reported.
Classes were canceled for the rest of the day at the school, one of seven community colleges in Wyoming.
A meeting was held in the afternoon for the 150 teachers and students who remained. College president Walt Nolte addressed them, calling it the worst day of his more than 40 years in higher education and encouraging the community to come together.
'It is particularly painful because of our size,' Fujita said of the small, tight-knit campus.
Counselors were speaking to students and planned to be available through the weekend. About 450 students live on campus.
Classes are due to resume on Monday.
'We agreed it doesn't do any good to just set the students loose. It makes the most sense to have them come back to campus, where they can get help if they need help and come to terms with what happened,' Fujita said.
Investigation: Police were concerned there could be a gunman at large on the campus or in the town
Walsh said police train for such incidents but had no warning of Friday's violence.
Wyoming governor Matt Mead, who went to the campus on Friday evening, said it was too early to assess security precautions at the college.
'There's no sense in doing that now until we understand fully what has taken place,' he said.
The governor added that the focus now 'should be on the victims' family, the community college family, the president, the trustees and the students, and making sure we're attending to any of their needs.'
Casper College opened in 1945 as the state's first junior college and moved to its current site 10 years later. The campus consists of 28 buildings on more than 200 acres. The college provides more than 140 academic-transfer, technical and career programs.
Casper is Wyoming's second-largest city with a population of about 56,000. Wyoming residents refer to it as the 'Oil City' because it's a hub for the state's oil industry.
Married teacher Erin Sayar, 36, allegedly had sex with Kevin Eng when she was meant to be tutoring him
The parents of a 16-year-old boy have filed a $10 million lawsuit after a high-school English teacher allegedly plied their son with cannabis and repeatedly ... Full story
- Man 'kills girlfriend with vacuum cleaner'
- Adam Lanza Identified As Suspected Shooter At Sandy Hook Elementary School In Newtown, Connecticut
- Florida woman Jillian Martone 'attacks man with kitchen knife after first date for refusing to be her boyfriend'
- California woman Amanda Sorensen, 22, 'killed her boyfriend's daughter by force-feeding her CHILLI POWDER as a punishment'
- Fifth-grade teacher Lisa Davis investigated for sexually molesting 10-year-old boy in her class
- Neighbor Zachary Dewayne Holly arrested in the murder of six-year-old girl Jersey Bridgeman
- Ryan Muehlhauser: Pastor who 'offered to "cure" homosexuals is arrested for sexually assaulting male clients'
- Man and seven-month-old baby boy killed in ambush on New Orleans bridge
- Nancy Michelle Mendoza Moreno: Lured businessmen to honey trap so Mexican cartels could kidnap them and hold them to ransom'
- Anna Michelle Walters fired after former student 'claims they had sex and posts nude photos of her on Twitter'
- Tenn. Man Randolph Maidens Charged With Murder in Wife's Death
- Knockout game is killing innocent civilians
- Simi Valley Teacher Malia Brooks Arrested, Accused Of Lewd Acts With A Minor
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Disgruntled restaurant owner Quoc Tran and his cook opened fire on customer who complained
- Not-so-model citizen: Maxim 'Hometown Hottie' finalist arrested in heroin bust
- Florida man who ‘exposed himself’ tells police: ‘I was just airing out my penis’
- Teen Shawn Eric Ford Jr, 18, 'bludgeoned his girlfriend's parents to death with a sledgehammer'
- Idaho woman Courtney Reschke, 35, 'had sex with four underage boys she met through her son, aged TEN'
- Ian Burlakoff kills wife Germana over excessive spending before he's shot by police
- Elementary school principal Leslie Chance 'shot her husband dead and dumped his body in an orchard'
- Tennessee man and his current wife arrested in ex-wife's slaying in Germantown
- Buried bodies found in Victorville, California belong to missing McStay family
- Teenager scams New York surgeon to buy bigger breasts
- N.M. cop who fired at minivan full of kids fired
- Musician Raefe Ahkbar kills three bandmates in New York
- Nebraska man Anthony Utterback acquitted after stabbing his wife's lover to death
- Mark Berndt Update: Calif. teacher pleads no contest to molesting students
- 11-year-old beaten to death by mom's boyfriend for not vacuuming
- Fiancee Connie King 'persuaded her ex-husband to murder country star's tour manager'
- Massachusetts schoolboy Philip Chism accused of raping and killing his maths teacher
- Passenger Daniel Drinan arrested for watching pornography and fondling himself on board Denver flight
- Brandon Tomblin: Ex- teacher with HIV sentenced to up to 20 years in prison for having sex with his male students
- Couple Terry and Victoria Smith 'kept naked six-year-old autistic son in CAGE and fed him hot dogs through the bars'
- Teacher Perry Reeves caught having sex with his student after boyfriend calls cops
- Cousins Caleb Matlock and Arthur Chavis charged with murder over brutal killing of women found dumped in woods
- Tennessee woman Hannah Steiner, 18, 'raped 13-year-old boy in church after Sunday school service'
- Herbert Daniel Ortiz, Wrestling Coach, Sought For Sexual Abuse Charges Arrested in Mexico
- 'America's worst deadbeat dad' Robert Sand jailed for owing $1 MILLION in unpaid child support
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|