Christopher Krumm: 'Bow and arrow' killer murders woman and father at Casper College
Police have identified the man who stabbed a woman and killed his own father with a bow and arrow before killing himself in a senseless act of murder at a central Wyoming community college.
Casper Police Chief Chris Walsh said today that Christopher Krumm, 25, of Vernon, Connecticut, first stabbed his dad's girlfriend Heidi Arnold, 42, about two miles southwest of Casper College on Friday morning.
Krumm then went to the college and shot his father, 56-year-old computer science instructor James Krumm, in the head with the bow-and-arrow in front of his horrified students.
He then stabbed himself with a large knife.
Walsh said the younger Krumm smuggled the weapon into the classroom under a blanket.
The classroom killing prompted a college-wide lockdown as police attempted to ensure that it did not spiral into yet another campus massacre.
Casper Police Chief Chris Walsh said investigators were still trying to determine a motive.
Christopher Krumm graduated from the University of Colorado in 2008, where he studied in the school's Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
'I want to emphasize that this is a horrible tragedy,' Walsh said. 'And I want the city to... just feel safe right now. There is no one at large.'
The attack at the two-year community college in Casper occurred just before 9am in a classroom on the science building's third floor. All students and staff were evacuated from the building.
The college sent out a campus-wide alert via text message and email within two minutes of receiving word of the attack at 9.06am, school spokesman Rich Fujita said.
The lockdown ended at about 11am after school officials received word that police were no longer searching for a suspect.
There are fewer classes on Fridays than any other day of the week at Casper College, so only between 1,500 and 2,000 of the college's 5,000 students were there, Fujita added.
Tragedy: Students and staff listen to a new conference discussing the apparent murder-suicide on their campus.
Political science instructor Chris Henrichsen said he was showing the film Frost/Nixon to his government class when he stepped into the hall to get something for a student and was told a homicide had occurred on campus.
He went back to his classroom, where students were getting messages about the campus lockdown on their phones.
'We locked the door and waited for further instruction,' Henrichsen said.
The students were later sent home, but some who parked near a different campus building where the attack occurred had to leave their cars there, Henrichsen said.
About two miles away, Dave Larsen said he was headed to the gym when he drove past a body in a gutter with two people standing over it, one talking on a cellphone.
Larsen lives about a block from the location of the body, a well-kept neighborhood of mostly single-story houses.
Emergency vehicles had the street blocked off on Friday afternoon.
Scene: The horrific murder-suicide took place in the science building of the community college
Walsh said 33 law enforcement officers from different agencies responded to the college after receiving reports of the attack. He said authorities first thought it might have been an 'active-shooter-type situation.'
'We quickly contained the building and started a sweep through the building,' he said.
Walsh said that within minutes of the initial call, there was another report of a traumatic injury about two miles southwest of campus. That victim was found in the street, the Star-Tribune reported.
Classes were canceled for the rest of the day at the school, one of seven community colleges in Wyoming.
A meeting was held in the afternoon for the 150 teachers and students who remained. College president Walt Nolte addressed them, calling it the worst day of his more than 40 years in higher education and encouraging the community to come together.
'It is particularly painful because of our size,' Fujita said of the small, tight-knit campus.
Counselors were speaking to students and planned to be available through the weekend. About 450 students live on campus.
Classes are due to resume on Monday.
'We agreed it doesn't do any good to just set the students loose. It makes the most sense to have them come back to campus, where they can get help if they need help and come to terms with what happened,' Fujita said.
Investigation: Police were concerned there could be a gunman at large on the campus or in the town
Walsh said police train for such incidents but had no warning of Friday's violence.
Wyoming governor Matt Mead, who went to the campus on Friday evening, said it was too early to assess security precautions at the college.
'There's no sense in doing that now until we understand fully what has taken place,' he said.
The governor added that the focus now 'should be on the victims' family, the community college family, the president, the trustees and the students, and making sure we're attending to any of their needs.'
Casper College opened in 1945 as the state's first junior college and moved to its current site 10 years later. The campus consists of 28 buildings on more than 200 acres. The college provides more than 140 academic-transfer, technical and career programs.
Casper is Wyoming's second-largest city with a population of about 56,000. Wyoming residents refer to it as the 'Oil City' because it's a hub for the state's oil industry.
O.J. Simpson's ex-girlfiend is being held on $10,000 bail after police say she stole a purse from a woman outside a mall in Fargo, North ... Full story
- Glamorous raven-haired robber holds up bank wearing stunning green dress
- 'America's worst deadbeat dad' Robert Sand jailed for owing $1 MILLION in unpaid child support
- Barbara Walters' daughter 'taken to the ground' during DUI arrest
- LAPD officer Miguel Schiappapietra arrested for lewd acts with 2 young girls
- Teacher's aide and mother of two Clarice Lee 'had sex with three students while three others watched and videotaped
- Florida teenager Krystle Harrison bit her boyfriend's penis when he refused to have sex with her
- Girlfriend Raquel Gonzalez ‘beat up her boyfriend after bad sex left her unsatisfied’
- Frontman of Christian heavy metal band Tim Lambesis arrested for 'trying to hire hitman to kill his wife'
- California man beaten with skateboards by four kids remains in critical condition
- Kaitlyn Hunt, 18, faces criminal charges for same sex relationship
- Tragedy as missing Starbucks barista Whitney Heichel's body is found and her neighbor Jonathan Holt is arrested
- Banker Daniel Brown pleads guilty to sexually abusing girlfriends with his lacrosse stick and videotaping the encounters
- School worker Jody Onorato, 43, 'sent more than 26 naked photos of herself to students' claiming she 'wanted attention'
- Warriors fans killed in shooting
- Prominent university professor Roger Brumback and his wife found murdered in their home
- Texas Teacher Lucinda Caldwell, 41, caught having sex with boy, 12, is jailed for TEN YEARS
- Former dance teacher Ashley Blumenshine pleads guilty to affair with 16-year-old student
- Married substitute teacher Amanda Sotelo jailed after admitting she became pregnant by her 14-year-old student
- Hofstra Student Andrea Rebello Shot to Death During Home Robbery Near Campus, Suspect Dead: Police
- Ralph Lewis Wald, 70, shoots dead ex-boyfriend of 41-year-old wife after he stumbles on them having sex in his living room
- Exterminator Jason Smith charged with killing Philly pediatrician Melissa Ketunuti because 'she belittled him'
- English teacher Cara Alexander, 27, arrested after police find 'nude pictures of her on cell phone of male student, 17'
- Jodi Arias: Suspect reads explicit texts that her ex sent her months before she stabbed him to death as murder trial continues
- Tenn. Man Randolph Maidens Charged With Murder in Wife's Death
- Maserati driver in Vegas shooting-crash was rapper Kenneth Wayne Cherry Jr
- Girls' high school basketball coach Marquita Adley charged with having sex with member of her team
- Idaho woman Courtney Reschke, 35, 'had sex with four underage boys she met through her son, aged TEN'
- Navahcia Edwards: Model 'robbed bank at gunpoint with her ex-boyfriend wearing NUN costumes inspired by the movie The Town'
- Female dance teacher Amanda Feenstra 'had sex countless times with girl, 17, at school'
- Terrifying criminal with a tattooed EYEBALL arrested for 'shooting at police officer'
- Papa John's delivery man arrested for allegedly delivering more than $45k worth of coke
- Cal State Fullerton basketball coach Monica Quan and her fiance Keith Lawrence found dead inside car
- Alvaro Rosas arrested in California, known as the 'biggest trader in child porn'
- Five reportedly dead in Illinois shooting
- Math teacher Ashley Anderson, 24, 'who sent students nude pics of herself' admits to having sex with them
- Sandy Hook elementary shooting: 29 dead including 22 children at Connecticut school
- Black Dahlia case: Cadaver dog discovers death scent at Hollywood home of suspect 66 years after the murder
- Tara Mauney: Texas mom accused of leading kids in pranks that caused nearly $6,000 in damage
- Jersey Bridgeman: Girl, 6, whose father chained her to a dresser found dead
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 28
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 23
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 14
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 12
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 9
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Authorities arrest 2nd suspect Julius Thomas in Clayton Co. taxi driver death 8
- Man Shot by Police in Mableton Identified as Gary Huel Jones 7
- Atlanta Officer, Dean Jackson Injured After Fall Into Water-Filled Hole 7
- Police: Husband Matthew Leili a suspect in wife Nique Leili's death 7
- 20-Year-Old Jessika Ann Howell Arrested for Multiple Crimes 6
- Family of Slain Teen, Reuben Hand, Sues MARTA 6
- Girlfriend Killer Kevin Kosturi Got Gun From Neighbor 6
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|