Stabbing suspect Dylan Quick described as 'eccentric' who carried stuffed animals
Three students bravely subdued a classmate who went on a stabbing frenzy at a Houston community college today - and then promptly posted pictured of their heroism online.
The student, named in local reports as Dylan Quick and pictured by broadcaster KHOU.com, is suspected of knifing 15 people this morning at Lone Star College campus.
Steven Maida, Erik Bertrand and another student named James managed to wrestle the armed man to the floor and waited for law enforcement to arrive.
And in a very modern take on heroism, Maida posted a picture of the suspect onto his Instagram account, explaining how he ran to intercept him as the stabbings began and then an hour later posted a congratulatory self-portrait of himself inside a police car after his bold act.
Stabbing suspect: This photograph, posted onto Instagram, is allegedly Dylan Quick, the assailant who rampaged around Lone Star community college this afternoon.
Hero: Steven Maida is believed to have wrestled with the armed assailant who attacked a Houston community college this afternoon
Apprehended: The suspect in the Lone Star College stabbings is led away by law enforcement officials this afternoon - after he was allegedly stopped by three heroic students
Deaf: The suspect - with his hearing aid visible is shepherded by law enforcement officials
Confirming through Twitter that he and two other men wrestled the suspect to the floor, Maida, has been inundated with messages of support on social media.
This map shows where Lone Star College Cy-Fair Campus is near to Houston, in Cypress, Texas, where a multiple stabbings incident took place today
'I was walking back from the cafe and bookstore and I see people running different ways and I thought it was a tour.'
'Then I hear someone say my friend has been stabbed and then this girl walks out with a hole in her cheek.
'I said where's he at? Where's he at?'
'So I go inside, upstairs and as I do, another girl has a hole in her throat and I looked up at the staircase and there is blood on the staircase.
Rushing around the science block looking for the assailant, Maida and the others had the unidentified man pointed out to them by other frightened students.
'We ran outside but he was 100 feet in front of the security guards, but they were taking their time,' said Maida.
'He takes us through the building and almost loses us, but one girl said he went that way - we saw him, we chased him and we tackled him down.'
Explaining that the assailant held a knife, Maida told Fox News the weapon was out of sight.
While one student grabbed his back-pack Maida and James pulled him down by his arms, which caused him to scream out 'I give up, I give up'.
'His hands were in the air and he said ‘I give up.’ … I was screaming at this guy, I was just like, ‘Why!? Why would you do this to girls!?’
Maida said he wasn’t scared during the extraordinary attack.
'I don’t know why I wasn’t. I guess you grow up in Houston, you’re not scared of that kinda stuff.'
'Some of the details in the call slip did indicate that students or faculty were actively responding to work to subdue this individual,' confirmed Harris County Sheriff Adrian Garcia.
'So we're proud of those folks, but we're glad no one else is injured any more severely than they are.
Sheriff's deputies responded to 911 calls at just after 11 a.m. (12 a.m. ET) saying there was a suspect attacking people with a blade at the Lone Star college campus which is in the northwest of Houston.
12 people were rushed to hospital, including four people who were airlifted by helicopter - two of whom are in a critical condition.
Local reports identified the suspect as Dylan Quick, a 20-year-old student at the college.
The Houston Chronicle reported the student was a local boy who had been visiting the campus from the age of 12.
Harris County Sheriff Adrian Garcia speaks during a press conference where he confirmed that students had indeed helped to subdue the knifeman today at Lone Star College
Students who heard the attack described the sound as like a rock concert and heard people scream out in pain.
According to one report from KHOU.Com, one of the stabbed students was 'bleeding profusely.'
Confirming the randomness of the attack, one member of the Harris sheriff's department said that the assailant had no clear motive at this time.
'The attack was at random,' said Harris County deputy Thomas Gilliland. 'It was the same suspect going from building to building.'
Student Maya Khalil, 19, was in class in the campus' health sciences building when the incident happened, she said. She managed to take photos of the chaotic scene as it unfolded.
'It was really scary,' said Khalil.
One student who was trying to exit the campus said one of her classmates was stabbed.
'I had just left class out of the HSC [Health Science Center] building, and as we were leaving we saw the cops coming. I called to check on another classmate who was still inside the building and she said the classroom was on lock-down and she said one of the classmates had been stabbed,' said Margo Shimfarr-Evans.
'It happened in the hallway, we have a lab and lecture, and down the hallway it's all lab classes and a classmate in the lab class got stabbed.'
Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center said it had two patients in critical condition and six in all, including four flown there by helicopter. A spokeswoman for another hospital, North Cypress Medical Center, said it had taken six stabbing victims who were in stable condition.
Two other victims were treated at the scene and declined to be taken to the hospital, the sheriff said.
Students run from the Lone Star College's Cy-Fair campus in Cypress, Texas, after a student went on a building-to-building stabbing attack that wounded at least 14 people
Lone Star College student Michelle Alvarez, (second from right), is examined by her aunt Elena Tokarew, (right), after the stabbings at Lone Star College's Cypress-Fairbanks campus today
The attack began at about 11.15 a.m. at the rear of the Health Sciences Building on the Cy-Fair campus on Barker Cypress Road.
First guns now knives: Terror strikes Lone Star College for the second time in three months:
- In January two gunmen opened fire on the college campus leaving three injured and another suffering from a heart attack.
- The gun battle was reportedly between two students who exchanged fire in the north campus of the college which has 90,000 students.
- Two people were wounded, and a 22-year-old man was eventually charged with aggravated assault
- One of the injured was the college's maintenance man who got caught in the cross fire. A woman was said to have suffered a heart attack.
The school went on lock-down after initial reports there was a second assailant - but Harris County Sheriff's spokesman Alan Bernstein said he was sure that one one suspect acted alone and they are ending their search for any further suspects.
'The initial reports said we have two suspects, but what I believe now is it was the same person running from building to building,' a police spokesman said at a press conference.
At around 2 p.m., Marianna Sviland, a teacher at the community college said that students and staff were being allowed back into the school.
The school then closed for the day and will reopen on Wednesday.
Lone Star posted an alert on its website just before 12 p.m. warning students of two armed suspects and saying one person remains at large. The alert warned people to seek shelter in a secure location.
Student Teaundrae Perryman said he was in class when he received a text message from a friend and went outside to see a young woman being loaded into an ambulance with what appeared to be stab wounds to either her neck or head.
'I was concerned but I wasn't afraid because I was with a large group of people,' the 21-year-old said, later adding,
'The police got to the scene very quickly.'
Courtland Sedlachek, 18, was in class when his phone started buzzing along with the phones of everyone else in class.
The room was temporarily locked down, but students were let out and off campus a short time later, in what Sedlachek described as an orderly evacuation.
He described his reaction as a 'little bit of nervousness.'
The school has approximately 90,000 students spread over more than a dozen campuses.
A different Lone Star system campus was the site of a January shooting. Two people were wounded, and a 22-year-old man was charged with aggravated assault.
With a pint of beer in one hand and a glass of wine in the other, the worst thing you could accuse Ashley Payne of ... Full story
- Three-year-old boy makes compelling argument for cupcakes for dinner
- Sailor from Oregon Jonathon Gibson killed in Red Sea helicopter crash
- President Obama catches fainting pregnant woman
- US Navy's controversial Zumwalt destroyer to hit the water for first time
- Rebel Wilson busted whilst making off with buffet
- Christopher P. Dona named as Army Ranger killed in parachute mishap
- Stern family plane crash: Three killed after homemade plane crashes into nature preserve
- Mountain biker rockets down ski slope at 135 mph
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
- Meet Colonel Meow, the world's hairiest cat
- Rapper Kampane found slain in New Jersey: Performer was shot, then torched in back of SUV
- Buyers of Dell's new Latitude 6430u Ultrabook complain it smells of cat urine
- Magistrate: Drunken driver Tommie Robinson Jr wrecked going over 100 mph, killing passenger
- Authorities investigate fatal officer-involved shooting
- Man armed with BB gun shot in dispute
- Authorities search for missing 12-year-old
- 'Mars Needs Moms' review: A charming, subversive, minor addition to CGI family film club
- Lena Dunham strips off and Jimmy Kimmel gets punched in the face in hilarious Emmys opening skit
- Jersey Bridgeman: Girl, 6, whose father chained her to a dresser found dead
- New Jersey realtors Robert Lindsay and Jeannemarie Phelan used client's home for 'sexual escapades': report
- Jeremiah Fogle, 57, killed wife Theresa Brown and shot 2 pastors
- Boy abducted in '94 found: Richard Landers, 5, taken by his grandparents in 1994 now living in Minnesota
- Wedding guest steps in to marry bride after groom disappears
- RSS Syndication
- James Fortune to perform at free concert
- Foster child found chained to porch in North Carolina with dead chicken around his neck
- Fayette assistant principal Darren Handley accused of stealing money
- Louisa Ball: Real-life Sleeping Beauty who sleeps for two weeks at a time
- Westgate mall survivor Sneha Kothari Mashru tells 'I used dead teen's blood to fool terrorists'
- Ex-police officer Michael Bernard Wilson found guilty of molesting girl
- Three more arrests made in Augusta man's slaying
- Two injured in early morning house fire
- Ebony Daniel, Charlie Martin arrested after baby allegedly ingests cocaine
- Dunwoody police arrest Ronald Cox in child molestation case
- Police arrest 26-year-old Kerrianne Johnson for child molestation
- Why doesn't Evan Gattis catch for Julio Teheran?
- Is this the most sexist TV program in history? Chat show where women strip off as two men critique their naked bodies
- Fulton assistant principal Paul Cook arrested for bringing gun to school
- What Exactly Is COPD?
- Paulding County gym teacher Robert Cartwright accused of molesting student
- Southwest High School Plans to Raise Graduation Rate
- Tampa Bay Rays mascot holds inappropriate Steve Irwin sign
- Man with knife arrested at Buckingham Palace
- Two teens critical after plummeting 400ft down sheer granite rockface at Stone Mountain Park
- Former principal John Ward arrested after his former student, 16, 'says he's the father of her baby'
- Kennesaw pastor John Pinkston facing child molestation charges
- CNN anchor Deborah Feyeric claims meteor hurtling toward Earth could be a result of global warming
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|