Adrienne Ryba: Student, 19, dies after plunging through roof of abandoned building
A 19-year-old student has plunged 50 ft to her death after falling through the roof of a decaying, abandoned warehouse where she and her boyfriend had gone to view the city's lights.
Adrienne Ryba was scaling the roof of a former manufacturing plant in Akron, Ohio with her boyfriend and another pair of friends just after midnight on Saturday when the section she was on gave way.
Her friends frantically called 911 and first responders forced their way into the building, but Ryba was pronounced dead at the scene after multiple blunt force traumas from the fall.
Lt. Rick Edwards from Akron police said it appeared that the group had been drinking alcohol.
'They wanted to see the lights of the city and the meteor shower,' Ryba's mother, Jennifer, told the Akron Beacon Journal. 'Teenagers do crazy things like that. You think you’re invincible when you’re a teenager.'
Ryba's boyfriend, 20-year-old student Collin Butler, was arrested at the warehouse after allegedly shouting and cursing at paramedics, and for refusing to answer police questions about the tragedy.
'We made several attempts to question C. Butler on how he got in so we could enter the same way, but we got no cooperation,' the police report noted.
He was charged with misconduct at an emergency and obstructing official business. He was released after posting his own bond several hours later.
Missed: Ryba's mother Jennifer, right, said the teen had gone to look at the city's lights from the roof
Scene: The former manufacturing plant in Akron was locked but they accessed the roof by walking along a concrete walkway which led to a fire escape, which in turn led to the roof
Ryba's mother said Butler, who had met his girlfriend as they both attended Medina County's Highland High School, was 'so upset'.
'It happened fast and he couldn’t catch her,' Jennifer Ryba said. 'They said they had to hold him back or he would have gone in after her.'
Jason Grom, a forensic investigator for the Summit County Medical Examiner’s Office, told the Medina-Gazette that the building had been locked when the youngsters entered on Saturday.
Instead, they crossed a crumbling concrete walkway and reached a fire escape, which led to the roof.
As they walked across the roof, the part where Ryba was standing gave way and she plunged between 40 and 50 feet, he added.
'They were exploring,' Akron police Lt. Rick Edwards told the Journal. 'This is the first time I've ever heard of [people doing this].'
Ryba was in her sophomore year studying interior design at Kent State University. She graduated from Highland High School in 2011 with honors and played on the school's varsity volleyball team.
Tragic: Ryba, left, was walking on the roof with her boyfriend and two friends when a section gave way
Accident: Police believe Ryba, right, fell 50 ft from the roof. She was pronounced dead at the scene
The manufacturing plant once housed the Atlantic Foundry, which made iron castings for local rubber, steel, automotive and mining industries. It closed in 1989.
Now the plant is littered with broken windows, weeds, graffiti and rusting machinery.
Adrienne Ryba, who hoped to set up her own interior design studio one day, is survived by her parents, Jennifer and Steve, and older sister Alyssa.
'She was vibrant, artistic, very creative, and loved playing volleyball,' her obituary reads.
'Adrienne was a wonderful, loving daughter and sister. She loved and valued her many friendships and was always there to help.'
- Southern Charm finale introduces Thomas Ravenel and Kathryn Dennis' baby girl
- The dog with a thousand hilarious faces who LOVES to play fetch
- Pictured hours before his fatal slip in New York bar: Camilla's brother Mark Shand, 62, smiling for camera's with his 'secret fianceé, Ruth Powys, 36, and Princess Eugenie
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's brother Mark Shand in critical condition after fall outside NY club
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Man demands realtor takes back mansion he leased for knock-down price after discovering it is 'haunted' after gruesome murder took place there
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Man buys $27 of bitcoin, now he's a millionaire
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- Man shot outside South DeKalb Mall
- Authorities investigate threat at Paulding Co. High
- Teacher Saralyn Gayle Portwood arrested for inappropriate relationship with student
- 'Sizzurp' cough syrup used by Justin Bieber and Lil' Wayne has been pulled off the market amid manufacturer fears it's being abused as a drug
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Paying tribute to Mr. Awesome: Celebrities pose with self-portrait of boy, 7, who died in freak swimming pool electrocution
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- Chrysler recalling almost 900,000 SUVs after it was found the brakes can become corroded when exposed to water
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- 2-year-old drowns in Paulding Co. pool
- 'New low' for Joan Rivers as women held captive by Ariel Castro demand apology for Today show joke she made at their expense
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- 'They had robbed my family': Widow's anguish as three teens indicted for killing married father of two on son's birthday after he willingly gave the muggers his wallet
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Tobias A. Bowen caught in Britain
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Five-year-old starved in closet Jordan Bleimeyer pictured on road to recovery
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- Ohio teacher fired after telling black student he didn't need another black president after Obama
- A playboy and gossip but he never let his beloved sister down: Richard Kay on the Mark Shand he knew
- Ted Cruz posts picture of himself grinning alongside skin of endangered tiger
- Duke and Duchess learn to DJ: William and Kate hit the decks in Adelaide as they visit suburb named after the Queen
- How female musical tastes change when she is at her most fertile
- Justin Bieber alienates Chinese fans with visit to Japanese war shrine
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Columbus police make shoplifting arrests at Peachtree Mall
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Falcons 2014-2015 schedule released
- Medical Center cutting ties with Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- One shot, 1 injured in West Midtown robbery
- New York Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda ejected for ball tampering in Boston
- The nine annoying personalities you'll find at the gym
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Dr. Zyad Younan refuses to pay $135k strip club bill because he claims he was 'drugged'
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|