'The girl with this phone is dead': The chilling text message sent to devastated family of missing woman Rajwinder Kaur
The distraught family of a missing woman received a harrowing text message claiming she was dead less than two hours after she disappeared.
Rajwinder Kaur, of Queens, New York, left home on Sunday to go and do volunteer work at a homeless centre in Brooklyn at around 8pm and never returned.
Later that evening Kaur's sister, Gurpreet, received a text message from the 26-year-old's phone. It read: 'The girl with this phone is dead, was smiling'.
At first the family hoped the text was a joke but as the seriousness of the message sank in they began to fear the worst.
Kaur's brother-in-law Kulwinder Bhinder told the station: 'We are very nervous, we are scared. I know Raji. She will never send a message like that.
Harrowing: Not long after Kaur left the home her sister received this text message
'There may be some bad, cracked person she faced that night, and that’s the scary part.
Police said Kaur's phone was tracked to Brooklyn that night where it was then shut off.
No other trace of her has been found. She has not used an ATM or credit card. Police are awaiting a warrant so that they can go through her emails to look for clues.
They fear she may have joined a cult, speculating that the text message could be interpreted to mean 'the old Rajwinder is dead to you, the new Rajwinda is with us'.
Shock: Kaur's sister Gurpreet said at first she hoped the text message was a sick joke, but that her sister would never do such a thing
Disturbing text: Police said Kaur's phone was tracked to Brooklyn that night where it was then shut off
But the family has disregarded these suggestions. They said Kaur became more spiritual following a trip to India last winter but that she would not have joined a religious sect.
Kaur reportedly sold many of her family possessions on eBay shortly before she went missing, but the family said it would be out of character for the former social worker to disappear suddenly.
As they wait for news family members posted flyers around their Hollis, Queens neighbourhood and in Brooklyn in areas near where she worked.
They have taken to Twitter and Facebook to try to get the word out but so far have been left baffled by what has happened to her.
Searching: As they wait for news family members posted flyers around their Queens neighbourhood and in Brooklyn in areas near where she worked
$1,000 reward: Kaur is described as 5-foot-3 and 130 pounds with a thin build and medium complexion
'Nobody has called. We’ve even reached out to our community, the Punjabi community, we put like news in the Indian [TV] channels and all that and we haven’t heard anything from anybody yet,' sister Lucky Kaur told CBS.
'We’re really very, very worried.'
A $1,000 reward is being offered for information about Kaur's whereabouts. She is described as 5-foot-3 and 130 pounds with a thin build and medium complexion.
Investigators said there’s no evidence of foul play and the family is clinging to the hope that she is still alive and will return home.
'I have to believe that,' Gurpreet Kaur said. 'We do.'
Anyone with information is asked to contact Crime Stoppers at 800-577-TIPS or at nypdcrimestoppers.com.
A TEENAGER who killed four people while driving drunk has been spared jail by a judge who says his rich parents never taught him about ... Full story
- Arizona man banned from Walmart for life over ad matching
- Teen Alyssa Jo Lommel left passed out in snow may lose limbs
- Utah Vampire trucker Timothy Vafeades held on $1 million bail
- Prison intern Kayla Danielle Davis charged with sexual assault
- Dashcam Shows Chase Before Fatal Ohio Crash
- Woman trapped in workplace toilet overnight chisels way to freedom, inspired by 'Shawshank Redemption'
- Bride pleads guilty to murdering husband
- 16 teenagers arrested for holding party and trashing vacant Orange County mansion up for sale
- Connecticut woman Priscilla Salas finds razor blade in Dunkin Donuts croissant
- IS THIS STALKING? Or simply romance by any other name
- Scooby Doo to investigate mysteries at WWE Wrestlemania
- Beaten, starved, gang-raped and 'forced to give birth': Nigel Brennan and Amanda Lindhout's horrific ordeal as hostages in Somalia
- Woman branded 'Half-Ton Killer' Mayra Rosales loses 600 lbs
- US Navy's controversial Zumwalt destroyer to hit the water for first time
- Ex-Bank of America executive Christopher Latham charged with trying to have his estranged wife of 24 years killed
- Hacker group Anonymous declares war on 'rape town' Maryville
- Pennsylvania college freshman Everett Glenn dies after boozing heavily on his 19th birthday
- Florida woman Kaelyn Partenza sets fire to ex-boyfriend's home after new girlfriend moved into apartment they shared
- Florida man Andrew "Drew" Scott killed in police mix-up
- Rabbi Noah Muroff finds $100K of forgotten cash in desk bought on Craigslist
- Police: Woman Cashed $10K In Stolen Checks
- Pervert Pastor James Harris Found Guilty of Sex Acts swallowed mints, not pills, test shows
- Texas rehab program gives prostitutes a chance at a new life
- Jeremiah Fogle, 57, killed wife Theresa Brown and shot 2 pastors
- Rooster Monkburn monkey's toy gun 'a flight risk', says TSA agent
- ANOTHER black Barneys shopper Kayla Phillips, 21, claims she was racially profiled
- Teacher Sarah Jordan suspended for showing racy Eminem video
- Veteran skydiver Sean Carey plummets to death during competition
- Former principal John Ward arrested after his former student, 16, 'says he's the father of her baby'
- Shocking image of toddler sipping a Bud Light at Cleveland Browns tailgate goes viral
- TRIPLE TRAGEDY: Family loses three daughters in horror crashes
- Black North Carolina pastor to church volunteers: "Only white people" at front door of church
- Pre-med student, 22, Emily McCaughan falls to her death from Las Vegas hotel after taking ecstasy at rave
- Jack Schaap: Megachurch pastor fired after picture of him kissing 16-year-old girl is found on his phone
- Texas jury sees video of teacher Brittni Colleps allegedly having sex with 4 students
- Waitress receives rude note - internet response is epic
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Drunk hotel guest climbs into 12,000 litre aquarium for a swim
- 5 people killed in California crash could be teens
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|