'The girl with this phone is dead': The chilling text message sent to devastated family of missing woman Rajwinder Kaur
The distraught family of a missing woman received a harrowing text message claiming she was dead less than two hours after she disappeared.
Rajwinder Kaur, of Queens, New York, left home on Sunday to go and do volunteer work at a homeless centre in Brooklyn at around 8pm and never returned.
Later that evening Kaur's sister, Gurpreet, received a text message from the 26-year-old's phone. It read: 'The girl with this phone is dead, was smiling'.
At first the family hoped the text was a joke but as the seriousness of the message sank in they began to fear the worst.
Kaur's brother-in-law Kulwinder Bhinder told the station: 'We are very nervous, we are scared. I know Raji. She will never send a message like that.
Harrowing: Not long after Kaur left the home her sister received this text message
'There may be some bad, cracked person she faced that night, and that’s the scary part.
Police said Kaur's phone was tracked to Brooklyn that night where it was then shut off.
No other trace of her has been found. She has not used an ATM or credit card. Police are awaiting a warrant so that they can go through her emails to look for clues.
They fear she may have joined a cult, speculating that the text message could be interpreted to mean 'the old Rajwinder is dead to you, the new Rajwinda is with us'.
Shock: Kaur's sister Gurpreet said at first she hoped the text message was a sick joke, but that her sister would never do such a thing
Disturbing text: Police said Kaur's phone was tracked to Brooklyn that night where it was then shut off
But the family has disregarded these suggestions. They said Kaur became more spiritual following a trip to India last winter but that she would not have joined a religious sect.
Kaur reportedly sold many of her family possessions on eBay shortly before she went missing, but the family said it would be out of character for the former social worker to disappear suddenly.
As they wait for news family members posted flyers around their Hollis, Queens neighbourhood and in Brooklyn in areas near where she worked.
They have taken to Twitter and Facebook to try to get the word out but so far have been left baffled by what has happened to her.
Searching: As they wait for news family members posted flyers around their Queens neighbourhood and in Brooklyn in areas near where she worked
$1,000 reward: Kaur is described as 5-foot-3 and 130 pounds with a thin build and medium complexion
'Nobody has called. We’ve even reached out to our community, the Punjabi community, we put like news in the Indian [TV] channels and all that and we haven’t heard anything from anybody yet,' sister Lucky Kaur told CBS.
'We’re really very, very worried.'
A $1,000 reward is being offered for information about Kaur's whereabouts. She is described as 5-foot-3 and 130 pounds with a thin build and medium complexion.
Investigators said there’s no evidence of foul play and the family is clinging to the hope that she is still alive and will return home.
'I have to believe that,' Gurpreet Kaur said. 'We do.'
Anyone with information is asked to contact Crime Stoppers at 800-577-TIPS or at nypdcrimestoppers.com.
- Charleston carriage incident eerily similar to Savannah's
- Sign calls candidate for school board president 'chicken'
- The dog with a thousand hilarious faces who LOVES to play fetch
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Town Hall meeting called to discuss District 5
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Teacher Saralyn Gayle Portwood arrested for inappropriate relationship with student
- Young couple killed picking up relatives who were making a surprise visit from the airport
- Tax-free weekend coming up soon for Alabama & Georgia
- Pictured hours before his fatal slip in New York bar: Camilla's brother Mark Shand, 62, smiling for camera's with his 'secret fianceé, Ruth Powys, 36, and Princess Eugenie
- Three men charged in February Bay Street chase
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Gregory Favors Identified as State Trooper Shooting Suspect
- University of Texas women's track coach Bev Kearney fired for lesbian relationship with one of her athletes
- Man stabbed in domestic dispute
- UPDATE: Five hour hostage situation at Trumbull County jail ends; Correctional officer safe
- Oscar Senior found guilty of all charges related to 2012 murder
- AT&T: Apple Exclusivity Deal Won't Last Forever
- California man beaten with skateboards by four kids remains in critical condition
- Cashier Mary Jane Hart sells herself $1 million winning Powerball ticket
- Rookie Blake Griffin Throws Down ABSURD Alley-Oop
- Man accused of raping and sexually torturing at least half-dozen women in his 'house of horrors' with heated scissors and rubber mallet
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
- Casino boat issued day cruise permit
- Alabama students to receive free ACT testing
- 'They had robbed my family': Widow's anguish as three teens indicted for killing married father of two on son's birthday after he willingly gave the muggers his wallet
- Savannah Christian volleyball player signs Letter of Intent
- Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's brother Mark Shand in critical condition after fall outside NY club
- Man demands realtor takes back mansion he leased for knock-down price after discovering it is 'haunted' after gruesome murder took place there
- Be There: Scholarship Signing Day
- Living on a Dollar a Day: New book puts a face to the 1.6 billion people on earth who live in extreme poverty
- Drunken girl, 18, rushed from Canadian Prime Minister's mansion in the middle of the night with alcohol poisoning 'after attending his teenage son's birthday party'
- Paying tribute to Mr. Awesome: Celebrities pose with self-portrait of boy, 7, who died in freak swimming pool electrocution
- Columbus police make shoplifting arrests at Peachtree Mall
- Jewelry store donates portion of sales to Children's Hospital
- Tornadoes ravage South and Midwest wiping entire Indiana town off the map
- ALERT: Child abduction in Georgia
- Exercise video with dancing poodles goes viral... 10 years after it first came out
- Ohio teacher fired after telling black student he didn't need another black president after Obama
- AMBER ALERT ISSUED
- Man stabbed in domestic dispute
- Your cutlery changes how your food tastes
- Britney's Spears suffers from scaly feet
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth ‘split’ rumors persist
- Kelly Scherer: Catholic school counselor found with 50 bags of heroin and 150 needles
- Georgia's Most Dangerous Cities
- Controversial Tennessee mosque targeted by arsonists gets go-ahead despite 16 months of protests
- Thieves dressed like nuns from 'The Town' rob suburban bank TCF
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|