Missouri woman Cathy Murch, children dead in possible murder-suicide
A mother, her 11-year-old son and nine-year-old daughter have been found shot dead in their home as her businessman husband read downstairs in what police suspect was a murder-suicide.
Officers arrived at the large house in the affluent suburb of Glendale, Missouri after 11 a.m on Monday and found the bodies of Cathy Murch and her children in different parts of the home.
Investigators believe Mrs Murch shot her children before turning the gun on herself, Glendale police Sgt. Bob Catlett said.
He said he thought the gunfire was 'coming from outside, so he ran to his front door and saw that his wife was laying in the kitchen, his son was laying in a side room and his daughter was on a bed in the second story of the home,' Catlett told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Yellow crime tape cordoned off the family's $520,000 four-bedroom home, which is located on what one neighbor described to Fox2Now as the 'primo street in Glendale' – a well-off community about 10 miles from St. Louis.
People close to the family said the parents were devoted to their children and the Catholic Church, and that the mother never showed signs of mental illness.
Site of tragedy: The Murches lived in a well-appointed two-story brick house situated on a tree-lined street in the suburb of Glendale
Devastating scene: The body of Cathy Murch was discovered on the floor in the kitchen, while her children's bodies were found in a side room and in a second-floor bedroom
Sad sight: When first responders arrived at the house, they found Mr Murch performing CPR on his fatally wounded son
According to police, the father called and reported one gunshot at 10:57 a.m. He then called back sometime later and told a dispatcher that his wife was dead and he thought it was a murder-suicide.
When EMS arrived on the scene, they found Mr Murch performing CPR on his 11-year-old son, Mitch Murch III. The boy and his sister, Mary Claire, were taken to area hospitals where they were pronounced dead.
Cathy Murch was pronounced dead at the scene. Police recovered a weapon from inside the home, but said no apparent suicide note was found.
Mitch Murch II has been taken to police headquarters, where he is being questioned. However, he was not named a suspect.
Neighbors who gathered outside the family's home surrounded by a manicured lawn and nestled in lush shrubbery and flowers were shocked by the scene.
Happier times: People who knew the Murches described them as devoted to their two children and their church
Hidden problems? The Murches' acquaintances described them as devout Catholics who seemed happy, although one person said the mother appeared distraught just days before the tragedy
'We have a very nice neighborhood; no problems at all, but then you hear this and it hurts that this close it happened,' Phillip Henderson told the station KMOV.
Henderson and his wife, Pat, said their neighbor talked to Mrs Murch just days before the incident and something seemed not right.
'She did say she recently talked to the mother and asked well how are things going, she said, "Ugh, well you know",' said Henderson. 'So maybe something's going on there she didn't know.'
The family was involved at Mary Queen of Peace Church in nearby Webster Groves, where the mother helped parents of incoming students in the parish elementary school where her two children went.
The father also headed an anti-abortion initiative called the Respect Life Apostolate at the church, and the pastor said the family appeared to be a happy one.
Religious: The Murches were involved in Mary Queen of Peace Church, where the husband headed a pro-life initiative
Strong connection: Both Murch children attended the Mary Queen of Peace parish school where their mother helped parents of new students
Following the tragedy, the church staff said in a statement: ‘We are shocked and saddened to hear of the tragic loss of life involving a family in one of our parish communities.
'Mary Queen of Peace Pastor Fr. Bob Reiker and Associate Pastor Fr. Craig Holway are working with grieving family members and the MQP parish family to cope with the aftermath of this tragedy.'
Since December, Mr Murch has worked in business development for a St Louis building services and cleaning firm, Centaur Building Services; his LinkedIn page names him the 'Growth Guy'.
He has also previously worked as vice president to facilities management firms, and for Mitch Murch's Maintenance Management - a facilities company founded by his father and run by his brother.
Mrs Murch trained as a nurse and aided with clinical trial research. She was working as a Treatment Educator at Special Design Healthcare, according to her LinkedIn page.
- Southern Charm finale introduces Thomas Ravenel and Kathryn Dennis' baby girl
- Pictured hours before his fatal slip in New York bar: Camilla's brother Mark Shand, 62, smiling for camera's with his 'secret fianceé, Ruth Powys, 36, and Princess Eugenie
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's brother Mark Shand in critical condition after fall outside NY club
- Man demands realtor takes back mansion he leased for knock-down price after discovering it is 'haunted' after gruesome murder took place there
- The dog with a thousand hilarious faces who LOVES to play fetch
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Man buys $27 of bitcoin, now he's a millionaire
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- Authorities investigate threat at Paulding Co. High
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Man shot outside South DeKalb Mall
- Teacher Saralyn Gayle Portwood arrested for inappropriate relationship with student
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook
- 'New low' for Joan Rivers as women held captive by Ariel Castro demand apology for Today show joke she made at their expense
- Principal Kelvin Griffin resigns after allegations of affair with teacher, drugs on campus
- Paying tribute to Mr. Awesome: Celebrities pose with self-portrait of boy, 7, who died in freak swimming pool electrocution
- 'They had robbed my family': Widow's anguish as three teens indicted for killing married father of two on son's birthday after he willingly gave the muggers his wallet
- City inspects pipelines after sinkholes occur
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Father, daughter arrested after 6-year-old found living in filth
- DeKalb mom Meriel Bemis charged in toddler's death
- Georgia Tech student Saamar Akhshabi dies from injuries after setting himself on fire last month
- Ohio teacher fired after telling black student he didn't need another black president after Obama
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- Chrysler recalling almost 900,000 SUVs after it was found the brakes can become corroded when exposed to water
- The nine annoying personalities you'll find at the gym
- Elementary school principal John McGill busted in child sex sting
- Tobias A. Bowen caught in Britain
- Columbus police make shoplifting arrests at Peachtree Mall
- A playboy and gossip but he never let his beloved sister down: Richard Kay on the Mark Shand he knew
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Prank Justin Beiber protest draws attention in Buckhead
- Duke and Duchess learn to DJ: William and Kate hit the decks in Adelaide as they visit suburb named after the Queen
- Falcons 2014-2015 schedule released
- Ukraine crisis breakthrough as Sergey Lavrov says diplomats agree to protect people's rights
- One shot, 1 injured in West Midtown robbery
- Dr. Zyad Younan refuses to pay $135k strip club bill because he claims he was 'drugged'
- Charleston carriage incident eerily similar to Savannah's
- Sean Studler, 17, dragged by train and killed 'was wearing headphones'
- Human skeleton found inside pickup truck in Texas lake solves Helen Holladay case
- Oprah Winfrey's bitter stepmother Barbara in explosive first-ever interview
- How female musical tastes change when she is at her most fertile
- Reclusive owner of South Korean ferry dubbed 'the millionaire with no face' is raided by police as it's revealed he once ran a CULT
- Medical Center cutting ties with Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Train commuters run, jump and swing on pole in ‘worst rush hour service ever’
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|