Nazish Noorani: Family of mother 'murdered by her husband and his girlfriend' win custody of her sons
The family of a slain woman whose husband allegedly plotted to kill her with his lover has finally won custody of her two young sons, a year after her horrifying murder.
Nazish Noorani, 27, was gunned down as she left a Ramadan dinner with her husband Kashif Parvaiz, 27. Their two sons, aged three and six, have since been in the custody of Parvaiz's parents.
But now Noorani's two brothers have wrestled custody of the boys, Shayaan and Riyaan, from the parents of the alleged murderer just ahead of the one-year anniversary of the killing.
Killed: Nazish Noorani was allegedly shot dead by her husband's lover. Her sons, Shayaan, now three, and Riyaan, six, were given to her husband's family but have now been handed over to her brothers
Speaking to the New York Post, one of her brothers, Kaleem Noorani, 29, said he was 'relieved to have the kids'.
'They will be happier here, I think,' he said on Thursday, a year after his sister died.
Parvaiz stands accused of paying his lover, Antoinette Stephen, 27, to shoot dead his wife as they walked through Boonton, New Jersey on August 16, 2011 with their youngest son.
Noorani was hit near her heart and Parvaiz, who was shot in the ankle and shoulder, allegedly to cover up any part he had in the crime. He sustained superficial wounds.
Unhappy marriage: Noorani, right, had told her family she feared her husband, who flaunted his affair
Their son, Shayaan, was not injured in the shooting, and the couple's other son was with family members inside the house.
Parvaiz initially told police his family had been attacked by a group of men who called them terrorists, but it emerged he had exchanged incriminating text messages with Stephen before the shooting.
Texts from Stephen's number to Parvaiz describe driving around the neighbourhood to see how far away the nearest police station was.
'You hang in there. Freedom is just around ur corner,' read one text sent from a phone listed to Stephen's father to Parvaiz, according to an affidavit.
Another message, allegedly sent on the day of the shooting from Stephen, said: 'Call me when u can. Delete all msgs from phone. I won't message from here on.'
New home: The boys, pictured, are now in the custody of their mother's brother, Kaleem Noorani, pictured
Family: Noorani is pictured with her brother Kaleem, who has guardianship of her sons with another brother
Remembered: The settlement came three weeks ahead of the one-year anniversary of the shooting last year
After their mother was killed, the boys were handed over to Parvaiz's parents in Brooklyn, New York, although Noorani's family protested that they should not live with the family of an alleged killer.
His family responded that the Nooranis were on welfare and too poor to raise the children.
They eventually reached a settlement three weeks ago, in which guardianship was granted to two of Noorani's brothers and her sister-in-law, the Post reported.
The Parvaiz family will still get the boys on weekends and some holidays, their lawyers said.
'We are pleased that the children’s paternal grandparents were able to come to this realisation that it was in the best interests of the children to remain with their deceased mother’s family,' Freda Khan, the Noorani family lawyer, told the paper.
'It still remains a tragic situation and bittersweet victory for my clients.'
Accused: Stephen appears in court last year accused with shooting dead her boyfriend's wife
'Plan': Parvaiz, who was shot in the leg, had originally claimed they were targeted in a racist attack
Both Parvaiz and Stephen are being held for trial. They both face charges of murder, conspiracy and weapons offences for the August 16 shooting. Parvaiz also faces child-endangerment charges.
He appeared at his first court hearing last year in a wheelchair with bandages covering his shot leg.
Following the shooting, 911 calls were released.
'I just got shot and my wife got shot!' Parvaiz shouted into the phone. 'Can you send an ambulance? I just got shot in the leg!'
Nazish's family and friends have contended that Parvaiz was an abusive philanderer who flaunted his mistress in front of her - even referring to her as his fiancée - on a recent trip to Boston.
Stephen remains in jail on a $5 million bond at the Morris County Correctional Facility in Morristown, New Jersey, where Parvaiz is being held on a $3 million.
A TEXAN woman is facing criminal charges after breaking into the home of her husband's alleged mistress last weekend and creating chaos. Angela Siler-Fisher, 42, ... Full story
- College student Shirley Ladd slips and falls 60 feet to her death on treacherous trail on Maine island
- Missouri Women Shelly Lewis, Alicia Binford accused of flashing at Illinois golf course
- Orthodox Jewish man covers himself in PLASTIC BAG during flight
- Former principal John Ward arrested after his former student, 16, 'says he's the father of her baby'
- Lynsi Torres: Meet America's youngest female billionaire
- Man charged after cops shoot bystanders
- Secret black love child of segregationist Senator Strom Thurmond dies at age 87
- Oklahoma Teen Stetson Johnson beaten, shocked and forcibly tattooed on his forehead by sadistic gang
- White House petition against 'hate group' church that planned protest at Sandy Hook vigil gets 250,000 signatures
- Woman snaps the most selfish selfie ever
- Off-Duty Deputy Shot During Fort Bend County Bank Robbery
- Woman branded 'Half-Ton Killer' Mayra Rosales loses 600 lbs
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Douglas Reddish: Man who knocked out a 'ranting and racist' New York man tried to HELP him at first
- Black robbers masquerade in white fright in New York
- California father Kyle Fortunato impaled by glass trying to climb into locked apartment
- Florida family finds $300,000 worth of sunken treasure
- Maine Woman Chaka Coleman Charged With Dragging Man With Car
- Lake Norman High School Racy Yearbook Photo, ‘Accidental’ or ‘Illusion’?
- Charges dropped for UVA student Elizabeth Daly in water-buying incident
- Cancer patient Joe Jaramillo in surgical mask mistaken as bank robber
- Black North Carolina pastor to church volunteers: "Only white people" at front door of church
- Missouri woman Cathy Murch, children dead in possible murder-suicide
- Iowa teens Skie Floyd, Jazlyn Visek Corey Sunderman, Austin Boggs go missing in gold Jeep
- Prison intern Kayla Danielle Davis charged with sexual assault
- The Facebook photo of a high school basketball coach Laraine Cook being groped by her fiance that got her fired
- Oops... Cheerleader's knock-out fail as she accidentally kicks herself in the head
- Florida woman Rashia Wilson who boasted she was the 'Queen of IRS tax fraud' on Facebook gets 21 years
- Breast cancer survivor says New York Times pic of her breast 'not cheap
- NY Woman Minhee Cho outraged after Papa John's write racist name on her receipt
- Tiffany Six: Porn star teacher loses appeal to return to the classroom
- Drunk hotel guest climbs into 12,000 litre aquarium for a swim
- 5 people killed in California crash could be teens
- Topless Missouri woman Jeanne Ouelette chases alleged Peeping Tom Jeremy Bradley
- California couple discover their marriage of 48 years WASN'T legal
- Bishop Larry Trotter: Outrage after picture of Chicago bishop sharing bathtub with granddaughter emerges on Instagram
- Honeymoon horror: Groom Jordan Costa killed in car crash just 24 hours after dream wedding
- Christie Dawn Harris: Woman who hid loaded gun inside genitals sentenced to 25 YEARS in prison
- Beaten, starved, gang-raped and 'forced to give birth': Nigel Brennan and Amanda Lindhout's horrific ordeal as hostages in Somalia
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|