Valedictorian Kaitlin Nootbaar denied diploma over speech
An Oklahoma high school valedictorian who used the word "hell" in her graduation speech in May has yet to receive her diploma.
Kaitlin Nootbaar graduated from Prague High School with a 4.0 grade point average, her father, David Nootbaar, told KFOR-TV. But school administrators told him that Kaitlin would have to submit a written apology in order to get her diploma.
"We went to the office and asked for the diploma and the principal said, 'Your diploma is right here but you're not getting it. Close the door, we have a problem,'" David Nootbaar told the network.
"She worked so hard to stay at the top of her class," he said. "This is not right."
In her speech—inspired by a similar address in "Eclipse: The Twilight Saga"—Kaitlin recounted how annoying it is to be constantly asked what she wants to do as graduation approached. "How the hell do I know?" she said, according to her father. "I've changed my mind so many times."
In the version she submitted to the school for approval, "hell" was "heck." But in the version she delivered at graduation, "hell" it was.
The school declined to comment. "This matter is confidential and we cannot publicly say anything about it," Prague schools Superintendent Rick Martin said in a statement to KFOR.
A TEXAN woman is facing criminal charges after breaking into the home of her husband's alleged mistress last weekend and creating chaos. Angela Siler-Fisher, 42, ... Full story
- Florida woman Rashia Wilson who boasted she was the 'Queen of IRS tax fraud' on Facebook gets 21 years
- Shocking! Five-year-old girl finds hidden camera in a Starbucks bathroom
- Man charged after cops shoot bystanders
- College student Shirley Ladd slips and falls 60 feet to her death on treacherous trail on Maine island
- Prison intern Kayla Danielle Davis charged with sexual assault
- Missouri Women Shelly Lewis, Alicia Binford accused of flashing at Illinois golf course
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer
- Woman snaps the most selfish selfie ever
- Former principal John Ward arrested after his former student, 16, 'says he's the father of her baby'
- Topless Missouri woman Jeanne Ouelette chases alleged Peeping Tom Jeremy Bradley
- Oklahoma Teen Stetson Johnson beaten, shocked and forcibly tattooed on his forehead by sadistic gang
- Amy Senser: Ex-NFL star's sobbing wife sentenced to 41 months prison for killing man in hit-and-run
- Lynsi Torres: Meet America's youngest female billionaire
- Caran Johnson accidentally live tweets husband's fatal car crash
- Orthodox Jewish man covers himself in PLASTIC BAG during flight
- 'She's got Tourette's': Lawyer for 'hiccup girl' charged with murder says he'll use syndrome as her defence
- Woman branded 'Half-Ton Killer' Mayra Rosales loses 600 lbs
- Secret black love child of segregationist Senator Strom Thurmond dies at age 87
- Beaten, starved, gang-raped and 'forced to give birth': Nigel Brennan and Amanda Lindhout's horrific ordeal as hostages in Somalia
- Thieves steal risqué calendars, leave protest signs
- Two skydivers killed after colliding midair and plummeting to ground in Arizona
- Black North Carolina pastor to church volunteers: "Only white people" at front door of church
- Bullied Utah Boy David Phan, 14, kills himself outside of junior high school in front of other students
- Cancer patient Joe Jaramillo in surgical mask mistaken as bank robber
- Breast cancer survivor says New York Times pic of her breast 'not cheap
- White House petition against 'hate group' church that planned protest at Sandy Hook vigil gets 250,000 signatures
- Let’s hope this Family Guy ‘RIP Brian Griffin’ tattoo isn’t real
- California man murdered 'while trying to sell PlayStation 4'
- Harriet Deison: Pastor's wife, 65, buys pistol from gun shop and shoots herself dead in the parking lot
- Black robbers masquerade in white fright in New York
- Off-Duty Deputy Shot During Fort Bend County Bank Robbery
- 'Hiccup girl' Jennifer Mee found guilty of murder, sentenced to life in prison without parole
- Foster child found chained to porch in North Carolina with dead chicken around his neck
- Charges dropped for UVA student Elizabeth Daly in water-buying incident
- Thomas Liming, 21, charged in brutal murder of 'best friend' Kyle Underhill
- PA man dressed as ninja claims he's a crime fighter not a criminal
- Lake Norman High School Racy Yearbook Photo, ‘Accidental’ or ‘Illusion’?
- Drunken woman Kristine Johnson, 20, found wandering college campus parking garage with no underwear on
- Pervert Pastor James Harris Found Guilty of Sex Acts swallowed mints, not pills, test shows
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|