Gay man Robert Mandelbaum told to marry woman or son would lose inheritance
The gay son of a deceased New York City businessman is fighting a stipulation in his late father's will that required him to marry the mother of his child or risk losing the child's inheritance.
Robert Mandelbaum, who is a Manhattan Criminal Court judge, said in court documents that his father, Frank Mandelbaum, knew he was gay and included his male partner in family activities. The elder Mandelbaum died in 2007 at the age of 73.
Mandelbaum, who amassed a fortune after founding the ID-verification firm Intellicheck, died before his grandson, Cooper, now 16 months, was born.
Cooper's fathers, Robert Mandelbaum and Jonathan O'Donnell, married shortly after his birth via surrogate in 2011. It's unclear which of the men is Cooper's biological father.
The late businessman's will left behind a $180,000 trust for his grandchildren, including those who would be born after his death. The heirs will receive installments from ages 25 to 30, although the amounts will be contingent on the performance of the investment.
But Cooper will not be eligible for his inheritance because he has two dads, according to the terms of the will.
The words "child," "grandchild" and "descendant" include natural and adopted children and children born out of wedlock, according to the will, which was filed in Manhattan Surrogate's Court.
"However, such words shall specifically not include an adopted child of Robert, if adopted while Robert is a single person, or a biological child of Robert, if Robert shall not be married to the child's mother within six months of the child's birth," the will states.
Robert Mandelbaum is challenging the will on the basis that it would require him to enter into a "sham marriage" which would violate New York marriage-equality law.
Attorney Anne Bederka wrote that the stipulation Robert Mandelbaum marry a woman was "tantamount to expecting him either to live in celibacy, or to engage in extramarital activity with another man, and is therefore contrary to public policy."
"There is no doubt that what [Frank Mandelbaum] has sought to do is induce Robert to marry a woman," Bederka wrote.
A settlement has not yet been approved by the Manhattan Surrogate's Court.
A TEXAN woman is facing criminal charges after breaking into the home of her husband's alleged mistress last weekend and creating chaos. Angela Siler-Fisher, 42, ... Full story
- Couple order McDonald’s breakfast, get served bag of cash
- Woman snaps the most selfish selfie ever
- Prison intern Kayla Danielle Davis charged with sexual assault
- Woman says 'attacker swung manhood in helicopter motion'
- Woman branded 'Half-Ton Killer' Mayra Rosales loses 600 lbs
- For sale: Man puts motorbike AND wife on Craigslist
- Actress sues doctors for posting drunk pictures of her on Facebook
- Florida woman Rashia Wilson who boasted she was the 'Queen of IRS tax fraud' on Facebook gets 21 years
- Beaten, starved, gang-raped and 'forced to give birth': Nigel Brennan and Amanda Lindhout's horrific ordeal as hostages in Somalia
- University of Northern Virginia chancellor David Lee, 64, quits over sex-dungeon photos
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer
- Insurance company uses Nelson Mandela’s death to promote itself
- Brie Lybrand: New Orleans beauty queen's shocking video to 'rapist' father
- New York residents kept awake by eerie howling from new One World Trade Centre
- Topless Missouri woman Jeanne Ouelette chases alleged Peeping Tom Jeremy Bradley
- Man charged after cops shoot bystanders
- Falmouth Family loses 2 sons weeks apart
- Foster child found chained to porch in North Carolina with dead chicken around his neck
- The more men want sex the more they lower their standards while frisky females RAISE theirs, new study finds
- Waitress receives rude note - internet response is epic
- IN PICTURES: The Drug Smuggling 'SUPER TUNNEL'
- Rabbi Noah Muroff finds $100K of forgotten cash in desk bought on Craigslist
- ANOTHER black Barneys shopper Kayla Phillips, 21, claims she was racially profiled
- Thomas Liming, 21, charged in brutal murder of 'best friend' Kyle Underhill
- Caran Johnson accidentally live tweets husband's fatal car crash
- Jennifer Lee Wilson: Friends of Fulbright scholar 'stabbed to death by ex boyfriend' speak out
- Charges dropped for UVA student Elizabeth Daly in water-buying incident
- Veteran skydiver Sean Carey plummets to death during competition
- Meet the real-life Popeye and his 31 inch biceps
- Drunk hotel guest climbs into 12,000 litre aquarium for a swim
- Harriet Deison: Pastor's wife, 65, buys pistol from gun shop and shoots herself dead in the parking lot
- Shocking image of toddler sipping a Bud Light at Cleveland Browns tailgate goes viral
- Jack Schaap: Megachurch pastor fired after picture of him kissing 16-year-old girl is found on his phone
- Toni Annette Medrano: Woman who killed baby, dubbed 'Vodka Mom' by Nancy Grace, dies after setting self on fire
- Jeremiah Fogle, 57, killed wife Theresa Brown and shot 2 pastors
- Pervert Pastor James Harris Found Guilty of Sex Acts swallowed mints, not pills, test shows
- Black North Carolina pastor to church volunteers: "Only white people" at front door of church
- Douglas Reddish: Man who knocked out a 'ranting and racist' New York man tried to HELP him at first
- Fort Bragg soldier Ruben Fox and wife arrested after having sex with dogs and posting videos of the acts online
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|